JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like them...

2018-05-25 10-33-32_0004A1.jpg

You might also need a longer guide-rod, too... heck, one of the Frankenguns I doodled in college was an Officers' frame with a Longslide top-half. That one would certainly need some welding to extend the dustcover...

I read the book for the first time the other day and the movie was way better.
That movie was one of the first times I wanted to slap a parent for bringing a little kid to a movie they should not have been to. Dad lived out of state, came to visit so he invites me and younger sibling to head to the city and see a movie. Jaws. Moron in front of us had a toddler. When that head falls down in that porthole of the sunken boat the kid let loose screaming and wailing. Dad finally had to take the kid out. I thought you idiot, what did you think this movie was going to be like?

I have always liked these since I first got to try one. First 1911 like that I shot was when AMT was fairly new. Pistol had problems as many of their 1911's did back then but damn was it fun to shoot. They of course are harder to carry but most will shoot far better with one where there is more weight out front and a longer sight line like that. I have long wanted to have a 10mm long slide in the double stack version.

Anyone else enjoy these things?
'weight forward' gives me my best groups;
I had a 10" Rooger 22 pistol for a couple-3 decades, and the 8 3/8" S&W N frames always delight as well.
The T/C long tube single shots always worked well too, at 50-200 yards.
And an amazing XP100 308 Remington 14" made thumbnail 1-hole 5 shots touching, groups at 100 yards, open iron sights...but that was long ago.

I like long slide 45 acp as well but haven't had one around lately.

On the other hand, my much vaunted G34 was finally excommunicated when I grew weary of 'best target of the day' more resembling 'minute of pumpkin' at 40 feet.

Okay, dumb question: is a 6-inch barrel the same as a long slide if the barrel is in a standard slide?
Might change the timings with less reciprocating mass, but the concern there would be how the barrel tilts in the bushing for link-down. You'd need basically a 5" barrel but stretched an inch at the muzzle... and even then you lose the longer sight radius and muzzle weight that are key benefits of the longer and heavier weapon.

'weight forward' gives me my best groups;
I had a 10" Rooger 22 pistol for a couple-3 decades, and the 8 3/8" S&W N frames always delight as well.
The T/C long tube single shots always worked well too, at 50-200 yards.
And an amazing XP100 308 Remington 14" made thumbnail 1-hole 5 shots touching, groups at 100 yards, open iron sights...but that was long ago.

I like long slide 45 acp as well but haven't had one around lately.

On the other hand, my much vaunted G34 was finally excommunicated when I grew weary of 'best target of the day' more resembling 'minute of pumpkin' at 40 feet.
Was the poor accuracy the pistol or more due to the trigger? In other words from a solid rest was it still throwing rounds that far apart?

@Diamondback and @Alexx1401 yes, I suppose I was just looking at a cheaper way to acquire more velocity for my favourite calibre at the range. The barrel tilt lock is something to note. Thanks.
When playing with suppressors long ago we never had problems with just a longer barrel. Even when adding a threaded lug at the end that matched the Mac family. Pistols never knew the difference. Now of course when we hung the can on there they became single shots with all that weight out there.
There used to be plenty of after market 1911 barrels that were 6 inches. Probably still floating around. The one down side to this is buying another barrel does not mean it will just drop in. VERY often another barrel is going to need some fitting to work.

When playing with suppressors long ago we never had problems with just a longer barrel. Even when adding a threaded lug at the end that matched the Mac family. Pistols never knew the difference. Now of course when we hung the can on there they became single shots with all that weight out there.
There used to be plenty of after market 1911 barrels that were 6 inches. Probably still floating around. The one down side to this is buying another barrel does not mean it will just drop in. VERY often another barrel is going to need some fitting to work.
The 1911s i want for the 6-in are my DWs. Their fit is so tight still hat I may need the barrels fitted. My Sig might be okay with a drop-in.

That movie was one of the first times I wanted to slap a parent for bringing a little kid to a movie they should not have been to. Dad lived out of state, came to visit so he invites me and younger sibling to head to the city and see a movie. Jaws. Moron in front of us had a toddler. When that head falls down in that porthole of the sunken boat the kid let loose screaming and wailing. Dad finally had to take the kid out. I thought you idiot, what did you think this movie was going to be like?

Not as bad as the Exorcist.

In other words from a solid rest was it still throwing rounds that far apart?
from a solid bench rest I could not make it hit more than 3 or 4 out of an entire magazine hit inside a bowling pin outline at 50'. And that was my buddies new G41 with fancy red dot.

The G34 over years just kept dragging me thru the annoyance of NEVER performing up to par. I have parted company with my old Gl*ck collection as we just didn't get along. The G35 similar, we're just not built for each other.

Generalizing for my own stuff, any handgun I can not discern 'weight forward' balance doesn't yield as good accuracy.

I'm searching for a long slide 10mm single stack myself.

If you're looking for just the extra barrel length, subscribe to Remington's newsletter. They occasionally get 5.75" threaded Storm Lake barrels on sale which would give you most of the benefit of "longslide barrel in standard slide"--before she sold out, Bobbi at SL was the barrelmaker I'd specified for my longslide project.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top