JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have just about given up on finding a reasonably priced 16" barrel for my 9mm/40 Glock Rifle project.

A cheap alternative would be to buy one of these barrel extensions and silver solder it along with a muzzle device to a regular length threaded barrel.

The downside will be that the barrel assy will no longer be removable from the slide. Would this prevent any repairs from being done to the slide itself?

I have an extra Glock 22 slide and a 5" threaded 9mm conversion barrel on hand so this project could be accomplished for about $50ish dollars (excluding silver soldering cost) in additional parts.

Last Edited:
And just how, exactly, do you plan on lining up traditional rifling perfectly to the polygonal rifling AND the bores in alignment? This is a terrible idea and I can't wait to see the results :D

And just how, exactly, do you plan on lining up traditional rifling perfectly to the polygonal rifling AND the bores in alignment? This is a terrible idea and I can't wait to see the results :D
The barrel extension I linked to is .4" smooth bore. No match up of rifling necessary.

Gonna agree with the "just SBR it" solution. It sounds like you are just going to have a ~12 inch muzzle device on the end of a pistol length barrel, so you will be getting no benefit from all the work, and that is on top of not being able to disassemble the gun. If you SBR it you can still use after market 6 in barrels and get some utility from a longer barrel, while being able to swap back to a shorter barrel if you run into reliability issues from the added barrel mass.

The barrel extension I linked to is .4" smooth bore. No match up of rifling necessary.
But there is rifling in this extension, .4" smoothbore isn't enough to stop that spinning projectile from spinning before engaging the extension rifling, I think. Can't even begin to image the torque placed on the joint of original barrel/extension. Thinking one shouldn't expect much accuracy as a result of engaging the second set of rifling in the extension.

Sorry, just can't wrap my un-caffeinated mind around the physics involved.

But there is rifling in this extension, .4" smoothbore isn't enough to stop that spinning projectile from spinning before engaging the extension rifling, I think. Can't even begin to image the torque placed on the joint of original barrel/extension. Thinking one shouldn't expect much accuracy as a result of engaging the second set of rifling in the extension.

Sorry, just can't wrap my un-caffeinated mind around the physics involved.
The barrel extension acts the same as a fake suppressor or many other muzzle devices. I slipped a piece of copper tubing over a glock 40 barrel and it didn't budge.

1000002869.jpg

The barrel extension acts the same as a fake suppressor or many other muzzle devices. I slipped a piece of copper tubing over a glock 40 barrel and it didn't budge.

View attachment 1847671
I wonder how long that would last if you just soldered that onto the end of the barrel? Seems it would be worth it to test if all you wanted to do was avoid a tax stamp. I know copper is soft and you would eventually have to worry about erosion at the muzzle, but I figure it should last at least a few hundred rounds before you need to solder on a new extension? And you could probably get the slide off to boot.

I wonder how long that would last if you just soldered that onto the end of the barrel? Seems it would be worth it to test if all you wanted to do was avoid a tax stamp. I know copper is soft and you would eventually have to worry about erosion at the muzzle, but I figure it should last at least a few hundred rounds before you need to solder on a new extension? And you could probably get the slide off to boot.
I can get the barrel with this copper pipe combo out of the slide because I am running it in a Glock 21 slide.

This set up needs a smaller frame Glock to work.

1000002870.jpg

Reason for rifle length barrel is to make it acceptable for use at rifle only range area.

I have a dream. One day, the how will be more important than the why.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews