JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am trying to buy a used Pistol from an individual of course through a FFL being in WA. My question is do I have to pay a sales tax even though the original owner paid WA sales tax? or just FFL fee?

Washington State issued a clarification in December that, in essence, says a transfer between two unlicensed (private) parties that reside within the State, does not require the collection of sales tax.

For some reason this update was not very widely distributed. I talked to one FFL holder who shared a copy of the update and yet I have talked to several others who never heard about it and have been collecting tax...

For some reason this update was not very widely distributed. I talked to one FFL holder who shared a copy of the update and yet I have talked to several others who never heard about it and have been collecting tax...
Well I guess one good thing came from the background check law, less money for the state :confused:

Washington State issued a clarification in December that, in essence, says a transfer between two unlicensed (private) parties that reside within the State, does not require the collection of sales tax.

BUT you are supposed to send in your "usage tax" to WA's "Dept of Revenue". This is the same principle as you buying a large ticket item in Oregon or Montana (both have no sales tax) and bringing it back to WA.... You're supposed to pay tax and we all know everyone does:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
If the FFL tries to collect it, it's going in their pocket.:mad:

I made a private deal a few weeks ago and went through an ffl as per 594,
no tax just a $20 fee and about 15 min and done out the door not a big
deal at all. I don't like the law one bit but it is what it is for now

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class