JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a local shop or gunsmith in the Portland/Vancouver area that is knowledgeable about Colt Pythons.

I recently inherited three blued Pythons and would like to get them assessed for condition/value. I'm told they are "unfired", but I realize that concept is a myth. I know they are low low usage.

Any recommendations on an local python expert is greatly appreciated.

20150416_195406 (720x1280).jpg

You don't need expert. Get on gun broker dot com and look at the closed auctions, you'll see what others have sold for. The colt forum is also a good source. Pythons are bringing unreal prices right now. Do you have the original boxes for each gun too? Shooter grade Pythons are bringing $2500 and up.

Only python expert I know of is in AZ. Besides he would be more for mechanical work on the python. Not trying to be glib, but python value, sky is the limit. If you got them with original boxes and papers, and the finish is near 100%, go on gun broker and take your pick on value. If they haven't been shot a lot and condition shows that, not a lot reason to have them mechanically evaluated. If a python has been shot a lot, as in a whole bunch, then it could go out of time due to wear.

I'm also interested in an opinion of if they have been shot much.

Id LOVE to take one to the range, but not if they are as "mint" as the family legacy says.

Personally, I'd sell two and keep one.
The 2-1/2" will always be worth a bit more then the others, but not as good a shooter as the longer ones.

Whoever gives you a quote on what they are worth, I would get a second..

When it comes to Colt Python, they are some of the most sought after pistols.. Just like the Colt SAA's.. And there is also allot of misinformation out there!

Last Edited:
I think eventually the bubble will pop, because all bubbles eventually do. That being said, the value won't fall far even when it pops. Take them to a reputable dealer or gunsmith. Make sure you tell them you have NO INTEREST in selling them and pay them to write you up an appraisal for your insurance . Remember most insurances will only cover between $2500 and $5000 without additional coverage. These easily should blow through those numbers, so check with your insurance agent.

Mint Pythons are a real Catch 22 dilemma.
On one hand they are a great gun to shoot and very accurate, but on the other hand the high value is in not shooting them.
Kinda like having a smoking hot super model for a girlfriend.
Everybody wants one and is jealous of you, but too bad you can't touch her because you might muss up her hair and makeup.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top