JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just don't see the value dropping much. Even if Colt wanted to reintroduce them the craftsmen are long passed on or retired. What's out there is all there will ever be! The snake gun cost is not just driven by scarcely, but by their quality and beauty!

Count your blessings, you could have inherited three Hi-Points.
It then wouldn't be tears of joy.

hipointhandgunsaug16%20011.jpg

Don't invest in just Pythons. Diversify!

You never know if a Python will be in the next big movie.
Or a bunch of WWII guns will be the star?

The skilled craftsman are out there.
Maybe not for the Pythons $120 - $450 early asking prices.
But $2500-$3200 for a simple blued Python could get Colt's attention! :s0084:

Last Edited:
Nice inheritance!
As a Colt collector, my 2 cents would be to hold onto them as long as possible. I don't remember reading whether you are a serious shooter or collector. But as they say, you can have more than one.

The advice the one guy said, to determine the manufacture date from the serial number was good advice. The more you know about them, the better.
I have no idea if Colt is still issuing factory letters now, but I would certainly do that if the cost per letter doesn't deter you.
Good luck! If you decide to sell one or more, there are probably many folks that would be interested on this thread alone.

Took these buy a gunsmith yesterday to have them looked at. His opinion is that he couldn't see any evidence they have ever been shot more than the factory test rounds.

On one hand, YAY. On the other hand, crap, now I REALLY can't ever shoot them with a clear conscience.

In response to Taglioni, my problem is that I'm not much of a collector. I seriously lack the self restraint to own a toy and not play with it. I'll probably sell the 2.5" and 4" now then hold on to the 6" until I break down someday and take it to the range.

I inherited a 1965 4" blue one. It was my dad's service gun, where its on its 2nd barrel and the bluing is well worn. Personally I am thankful that it is well worn, where my sons and I have enjoyed the hell out of it. Nothing to blow through 50-100 rds on a range day ... it goes fast! :) The python is as tough as it is beautiful ... one hell of a workhorse!

The assessment is best from the auction sites; dont forget gunsamerica.com too.

You dont need me to tell you that from the interest in this thread, you really have something special. Personally, I can tell the quality of the python, but I have used refined S&W 586 and it was just as nice from my perspective. There are some articles on the web to help compare the python to the other guns that are out there. It may be worthwhile to unload all 3 and make an investment in a nice S&W, Ruger, or Dan Wesson. You will have thousands of dollars left over :)

My python ... it is so iconic of my dad, so I will never part with it. Besides, my eldest son fell in love with it. It will be his college present (i.e. why I was looking at alternatives)

PS - if you need some gunsmithing, Rich's Gun Shop in Donald did a great job on adding mounts to my python for a scope. I was able to find an obsolete weaver mount system.

dads guns 2 .jpg

dads guns 2 .jpg

I visited a gunsmith that used to work out of Brightwater Ventures in Vancouver.

I'm eager to get multiple opinions if you can a reputable one to go see. That's really my whole purpose of this thread.

Pick your favorite and sell other two. According to recent article in American Rifleman you can probably get a lot of $, especially if you have something rare.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top