JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Based on lots of reading on various sites, I've gotten the impression this isn't a good idea, but no one has actually said don't do it. Is it a bad idea, and if so, why? If it matters, the brass in question is new, unfired LC. Thanks.

Dave

Based on lots of reading on various sites, I've gotten the impression this isn't a good idea, but no one has actually said don't do it. Is it a bad idea, and if so, why? If it matters, the brass in question is new, unfired LC. Thanks.

Dave

I haven't heard this, but then I'm pretty new to reloading.

What are the claimed downsides to using new brass? New brass wouldn't be fire formed to a chamber (significant if you only neck size reloads), but I'm not sure I see other differences between new and once (or more) fired brass.

Dave

How is one to get used brass for what they need unless they buy new and use it themselves? I don't see much used long gun brass for sale like handgun brass. I'd also say if you are a avid loader for several calibers of long gun that the best brass you could have is the brass you've used from new. As far as hand gun brass goes, a lot of people, including me, set themselves up in loading used brass, for the most part. I do know that new brass in roll crimped rounds is a real treat to load because it's all sized the same and won't need trimming.

I'll call BS on the "No new brass for reloading" story.

Like I said, guys, it's just an impression I've picked up, not sure why, but I haven't read anything that addresses it directly. Maybe I've just doing too much reading between the lines :rolleyes:. Appreciate the responses.

Dave

Like I said, guys, it's just an impression I've picked up, not sure why, but I haven't read anything that addresses it directly. Maybe I've just doing too much reading between the lines :rolleyes:. Appreciate the responses.

Dave

I think some people have the idea that you won't be able to work up a load with brass that isn't fire formed to your chamber, but I've never found this to be the case. As long as your brass all has close to the same internal volume it won't matter if it's new or fired, the brass is just a seal, and before it even gets close to max pressure it will expand to fit the chamber. Go ahead and use the new cases, just work up like volcom said.

I think some people have the idea that you won't be able to work up a load with brass that isn't fire formed to your chamber, but I've never found this to be the case. As long as your brass all has close to the same internal volume it won't matter if it's new or fired, the brass is just a seal, and before it even gets close to max pressure it will expand to fit the chamber. Go ahead and use the new cases, just work up like volcom said.
This.

just the other day, literally 2 days ago a friend ran out of 338 win mag brass. went and bought some new hornady brass. we loaded it to a known good spec per his decision(against my advice) and chrono'd it. same everything as with used brass.

theres a reason i didnt say this in the 1st place. if youre new to reloading, do what the book says. "start at minimum and load up" a chronograph and visual inspection of the case (BEFORE AND AFTER the shot) is your best friend when it comes to reloading/personal safety.

When I resumed reloading several years ago all I had to use was brand new shiny brass. Loaded it up [safely] shot it and never looked back. Never heard of a prohibition against working up a new round with new brass. Heck, shoot it once and [hoohoo] you have used brass! Don't forget to have fun reloading!

The only (edit: "minor") hang up I've had with new brass was with new Winchester 7.62X39; it was neck sized for .308", not .310".

Other than that; I've had a few necks that weren't 90 degrees.

If it fits properly into my chamber checkers, they always go fine into the chambers......

:D

I have been reloading so long that when I started, reloading meant picking up the rock you just threw a little while ago :rolleyes:

I have worked up loads in new brass too many times to count and never had a problem or heard of someone having a problem.

Yes, at least in some circles fire forming a case will lead to better accuracy, and I have been known to neck size only fire formed cases. However even then, you can only neck size a finite number of times before you start having feed problems and have to run through a FL die anyway. All of the last paragraph is open to debate and conjecture, however I too cry BS on not working loads up on new brass... makes no sense to me:s0092:

Thanks again, guys, you've set my mind at rest, and I'll be working up loads for my new rifle with new brass :cool:. Later.

Dave
Oh, it's new brass AND a new rifle?
Well you can't work up loads with new brass AND a new rifle!!! The rifle and brass will need to be broken in together.

Just kidding.. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads