JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, Im talking about Rose Ice Cream Parlor it was located on 45th and Fremont.
I know the people who owned it, it wasnt Max B.
It closed and later reopened on 42nd and closed again.

This has been my Hood since 1983. Roses closed on Freemont. What year I can't say for sure. Wifey was born and raised near alameda school and Roses was THE place on Freemont for her and her family, there was Stanich's too. The place Roses re-opened was previously Chan's Palace. We lived a block away and got takeout from Chan's. Rose's in the new location never went anywhere. Now it's a Mexican joint.

Ahhh! Thanks! Still listed on the internet (of all places). https://locu.com/places/roses-ice-cream-portland-us/

Another of my favorites was Pals Shanty out in NE Hollywood area. In my Bucket of clams & beer for lunch days there was a string of taverns with quirky menus throughout the neighborhoods.

Pal's Shanty was the place for a bucket of clams. For years, gosh, I don't how many now? Wifey's birthday dinner was the LARGE bucket of clams at Pal's. She'd eat the whole thing, butter shining from pretty much ear to ear. (Today happens to be her birthday! I'm getting clams from Uwajimaya and steaming them myself) What a shame they didn't reopen. Just TRY to find another bucket of clams anywhere, they don't want a fortune for! Now it's "Hot Lips Pizza". Hey Portland, we need MORE pizza places!! YAY!! :(

I think the city has a lot to do with keeping businesses from thriving with all kinds of regulations, taxes and operating fees.

Here's one for you...Anyone remember "Lou-Z-ana Ed's" I've got some stories of Ed.

Here's a story of the management style that has turned Portland into what it is today.

When I was 10 I went down to Gresham, to stay with my grandma for the summer. At that time her place was in the country. None of that left now. But she took me to Lloyd Center, at that time it was the largest shopping center in the world. We went to see Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey. Much has changed in 58 years. And NOT for the better. :(

When I was 10 I went down to Gresham, to stay with my grandma for the summer. At that time her place was in the country. None of that left now. But she took me to Lloyd Center, at that time it was the largest shopping center in the world. We went to see Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey. Much has changed in 58 years. And NOT for the better. :(
I used to ride around with my dad and grandpa and it it was nonstop "that wasn't there".. because praire ya dopes!

Back in the "old days", I was living off of NE 112th.
We were pretty much in the countryside,, the city limits ended at 82nd,, and 82nd went thru to Marine Drive, actually passing thru the row of landing lights at the airport.
Troutdale was a one-horse town, the Brass Rail was the place to go.

I don't care what anybody says, I love living in Portland. I've been here for 10 years now and hope to never leave. If you're young (wife and I are dual income, no kids, low 30's), it's hard to beat. Good food, good beer, fun nightlife, not too big, not too small, nice weather, tons of stuff to do outdoors, good work opportunities. Sure it has its cons, but for us, they're outweighed by the pros.
"Fun nightlife?" Assuming you remain quiet or agree loudly enough with the mob you are correct. If you dare to voice a dissenting opinion you will be beaten. This is a fact of life in Portland. What's ironic is that as a moderate I agree with many--not all--of the supposed positions of the mob. The reality is that those "positions" aren't real, just an excuse to beat or loot or vandalize. Small business owners are terrorized into putting up signs in support of the mob. Those that don't face retaliation. Since I support the families of fallen Law Enforcement officers, my car would be burnt or otherwise destroyed were I to park downtown at night. Yeah, real fun town.

Last Edited:
Went to high school with Sandy Barrs son Farren and sparred with him on our wrestling team at Roosevelt High School. Spent many a night at the matches and days at the flea market. The good old days LOL, Moved away in the 80's to Bend and lived there 30+ years, Now it's a crap pit too!. Sold my house for 7 times what I paid for it and now live at the Oregon coast mortgage free.
I was a line cook and one of the wait staff was Sandy Barr's mother or girlfriend. I cannot honestly remember which it was. I am not insane. There are two women that fit my memory, and one was young enough and one was old enough.

And it was a long time ago and I lived a much less structured lifestyle than I do today. HAHA!

Went to high school with Sandy Barrs son Farren and sparred with him on our wrestling team at Roosevelt High School. Spent many a night at the matches and days at the flea market. The good old days LOL, Moved away in the 80's to Bend and lived there 30+ years, Now it's a crap pit too!. Sold my house for 7 times what I paid for it and now live at the Oregon coast mortgage free.

That flea market turned into a front shop for thieves and burglars. Unfortunately. Couldn't say what years, but it moved into NE up between Lombard and Columbia Blvd. near 15th ave. Too bad, I love things like that.

"Fun nightlife?" Assuming you remain quiet or agree loudly enough with the mob you are correct. If you dare to voice a dissenting opinion you will be beaten. This is a fact of life in Portland. What's ironic is that as a moderate I agree with many--not all--of the supposed positions of the mob. The reality is that those "positions" aren't real, just an excuse to beat or loot or vandalize. Small business owners are terrorized into putting up signs in support of the mob. Those that don't face retaliation. Since I support the families of fallen Law Enforcement officers, my car would be burnt or otherwise destroyed were I to park downtown at night. Yeah, real fun town.

Agree to disagree my man. I've never once had any of this stuff happen to me in all the time I've lived here. I love Portland and look forward to it opening up again so I can keep enjoying it.

A typical night in Portland 2020. The sun is down and a few hundred people, nearly all in their 20s and 30s, start to congregate, by twos and threes, at a prearranged location, usually a city park but sometimes at the U.S. Immigration and Customs building, or City Hall, or, as they are tonight, on the strip of downtown that is home to local and federal courthouses and the city's central police station, known as Justice Center. The drumming starts, there are some Black Lives Matter slogans shouted but mostly it's calls of "bubblegum THE POLICE," none of whom are in evidence. They almost never are during the nightly protests, or not until things get hot, when windows are smashed and, for what will end up being nearly 200 nights in a row, fires started.

On this night, I do see one officer. He is sitting alone inside the lobby of the back entrance to Justice Center. Beside him is an industrial fan. When I ask why, he explains that the night before, a group of protesters sloshed in a giant bucket of diarrhea into the room where he sits. The fan is to try to get the stench out. Behind me, five teenagers stand at the curb gawping.

Sure, 200+ nights of lighting fires and smashing windows, seems totally Mayberry.

Agree to disagree my man. I've never once had any of this stuff happen to me in all the time I've lived here. I love Portland and look forward to it opening up again so I can keep enjoying it.
Here's a simple test you can do. Choose one of the following T-shirts to wear on your night out downtown:

A. A MAGA shirt. I'm not a Trump fan, but you should be able to wear a shirt supporting a former president without being beat into submission. Go ahead, give it a try.
B. Too much? How about a T-shirt honoring police officers who fell in the line of duty. Make sure you have your insurance card in your pocket and a wear a bracelet with your blood type. Let your work know you'll be calling in sick for a month or two.
C. Still too much? How about just a shirt supporting the Republican party?

Yep, you can enjoy Portland as long as you stay in line. Don't rock the boat. Don't take pictures, video or ask questions. All of those will get you a beat down supported and encouraged by both Portland and Multnomah County. BTW, Portland is not going to be as much fun when it opens up. You do know a lot of places have closed due to the violence and vandalism, right? It's going to be a long time, if ever, before Portland recovers.

Here's a simple test you can do. Choose one of the following T-shirts to wear on your night out downtown:

A. A MAGA shirt. I'm not a Trump fan, but you should be able to wear a shirt supporting a former president without being beat into submission. Go ahead, give it a try.
B. Too much? How about a T-shirt honoring police officers who fell in the line of duty. Make sure you have your insurance card in your pocket and a wear a bracelet with your blood type. Let your work know you'll be calling in sick for a month or two.
C. Still too much? How about just a shirt supporting the Republican party?

Yep, you can enjoy Portland as long as you stay in line. Don't rock the boat. Don't take pictures, video or ask questions. All of those will get you a beat down supported and encouraged by both Portland and Multnomah County. BTW, Portland is not going to be as much fun when it opens up. You do know a lot of places have closed due to the violence and vandalism, right? It's going to be a long time, if ever, before Portland recovers.

I work downtown, inside the EGWW Federal Building. I wear a military uniform every single day, which the Portland public largely associates with right wing politics. I park downtown, I eat lunch downtown, I walk around downtown, all primarily in the radius of Terry Schrunk Plaza, Chapman Square, and Lownsdale Square, aka ground zero for the protests and vandalism this last year.

Despite all of these factors, I've never been harassed, felt threatened or been confronted. In fact, a lot of the people that you're likely referring to thank me for my service, wave/nod as I walk by, or just ignore me completely (the vast majority).

I'm just not seeing the doom and gloom that you're referring to. Sure, some businesses right next to the park blocks were affected, but just about every one that I personally saw get hit hard is back up and running.

I work downtown, inside the EGWW Federal Building. I wear a military uniform every single day, which the Portland public largely associates with right wing politics. I park downtown, I eat lunch downtown, I walk around downtown, all primarily in the radius of Terry Schrunk Plaza, Chapman Square, and Lownsdale Square, aka ground zero for the protests and vandalism this last year.

Despite all of these factors, I've never been harassed, felt threatened or been confronted. In fact, a lot of the people that you're likely referring to thank me for my service, wave/nod as I walk by, or just ignore me completely (the vast majority).

I'm just not seeing the doom and gloom that you're referring to. Sure, some businesses right next to the park blocks were affected, but just about every one that I personally saw get hit hard is back up and running.
I'm guessing you're about 6' 6" and 275 pounds? :D

I would recommend taking a stroll after dark.

Are you aware of the "festivities" which have occurred at the Hatfield Courthouse? Perhaps those Federal officers have a much different opinion. As a student of Sun Tzu, I appreciate your candor.

Thanks for your service, I served for seven years myself.

I do note that you ignored the simple tests you could run to verify your position. How about this, we have both served our country, we know the sacrifice that entails. So you appreciate the ultimate sacrifice that some LEO have paid, and their families with them. How about you donate to a charity to help the families of fallen law enforcement officers? You'll get a nice decal you can proudly display on your car while you park downtown. Park on the street for a week. If your car is still intact at the end of the week, I will gladly admit you're right. If not, you can admit you're remaining silent while others are being terrorized. We don't have to agree to disagree; we can easily find out who's right.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top