JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This has been my Hood since 1983. Roses closed on Freemont. What year I can't say for sure. Wifey was born and raised near alameda school and Roses was THE place on Freemont for her and her family, there was Stanich's too. The place Roses re-opened was previously Chan's Palace. We lived a block away and got takeout from Chan's. Rose's in the new location never went anywhere. Now it's a Mexican joint.

Pal's Shanty was the place for a bucket of clams. For years, gosh, I don't how many now? Wifey's birthday dinner was the LARGE bucket of clams at Pal's. She'd eat the whole thing, butter shining from pretty much ear to ear. (Today happens to be her birthday! I'm getting clams from Uwajimaya and steaming them myself) What a shame they didn't reopen. Just TRY to find another bucket of clams anywhere, they don't want a fortune for! Now it's "Hot Lips Pizza". Hey Portland, we need MORE pizza places!! YAY!! :(

I think the city has a lot to do with keeping businesses from thriving with all kinds of regulations, taxes and operating fees.

Here's one for you...Anyone remember "Lou-Z-ana Ed's" I've got some stories of Ed.

Here's a story of the management style that has turned Portland into what it is today.
How about Waddles, or R&R Market back when It had a Meat Dept. Portland sure had some amazing places. I'm glad Zein Hong is still going, I make a trip there when passing thru, same great food.

Last Edited:
I find it interesting that people who don't live or work in Portland, try to convince Portlanders that it's not a safe place.

My office is in the Koin Center. Two blocks from the Federal Courthouse. I have not been there in a year and have no plans on returning. My employer already advised that any employee who does not feel safe can continue to work from home post Covid. Seeing all the riots and boarded up buildings on the news, tells me it is not somewhere I care to be. When I was there last year, homeless people would ask for money or a smoke. When I refused, they swore and became aggressive. Add in the riots and it is a no go for me. There is nothing downtown that I can not get elsewhere. Even before all the recent problems, I always practiced staying away from problem areas in any city.

I find it interesting that people who don't live or work in Portland, try to convince Portlanders that it's not a safe place.
I grew up in Portland and have lived my entire life in the Portland area other than my seven years in the USAF. Prior to the last several years I used to spend a significant amount of time downtown. I have observed in person the protests, both left and right wing. Although I disagree on quite a few points with the far right groups, I found I could have civil discussions with those protestors. My life was threatened multiple times by the left wing protestors when I tried to discuss their positions, and of course I was physically attacked. I have also traveled extensively to Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, Caracas, London, Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Athens, Vancouver BC, Toronto, Calgary, Winnipeg, Istanbul, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Mexico City, Berlin, Frankfurt, Prague, Bangkok, and nearly countless others, along with every major American city and most of the small ones. SO perhaps I have a sufficient frame of reference to judge the relative safety and political environment of Portland.

I notice you too have no desire to test your position by simply donning a t-shirt at night and walking around downtown Portland. Or putting a decal on your car and parking in Portland

It's not so much the relative danger in Portland, although it is higher than any international city I've visited other than Caracas. It's more that the danger is targeted at a specific group, and the fact that the political establishment enables and encourages the danger. It's not random violence, it's directed terrorism at any individual who expresses a political opinion anywhere from moderate to far right. It's the fact that local businesses are targeted and attacked unless they voice and show sufficient support for the left wing groups. Police are forbidden to intervene in most cases, and if they do the Multnomah County DA simply drops the charges.

The simple reality is that you're safe in Portland if you're left wing or remain silent, and you aren't safe if you speak up to defend those that aren't left wing. In Tacoma, not so different than Portland, a lone policeman was attacked and chased away from a street racing scene. Was there an investigation of the thugs who were endangering the public? No. There was an investigation into the officer who fled in fear for his life. A young man was murdered in the "Seattle Autonomous Zone." Was there a murder investigation? No. the Mob did not allow it, and the politicians let them have their way because the Mob is creating the kind of terror the politicians want. I couldn't have imagined these things happening in Portland even just four years ago, and certainly they would not happen in any other city I've been too, other than Caracas.

I'm guessing you're about 6' 6" and 275 pounds? :D

Lol, definitely not that big, but not small either.

I would recommend taking a stroll after dark.

Sure, but the same can be said for any big city. Parts of downtown are sketchy, other parts aren't. I've walked all over downtown at night and the only places that make me nervous are near the Burnside bridge, the courthouse blocks, and the east side Esplanade.

Thanks for your service, I served for seven years myself.

I do note that you ignored the simple tests you could run to verify your position. How about this, we have both served our country, we know the sacrifice that entails. So you appreciate the ultimate sacrifice that some LEO have paid, and their families with them. How about you donate to a charity to help the families of fallen law enforcement officers? You'll get a nice decal you can proudly display on your car while you park downtown. Park on the street for a week. If your car is still intact at the end of the week, I will gladly admit you're right. If not, you can admit you're remaining silent while others are being terrorized. We don't have to agree to disagree; we can easily find out who's right.

You're right that in certain circumstances, in certain parts of downtown, you would see trouble if you had pro-LEO or MAGA stuff on your car and left it parked on the street for a week. Of course, the same thing would likely happen I put some BLM/Antifa stickers on my car and left it parked in Pendleton for a week. Or if I left it in downtown Seattle with some Timbers and Blazers stickers on it. Or if I just left my iPad on the passenger seat. That's why 99% of people park in a garages at night, where the likelihood of your car getting messed with goes down exponentially. Hell, I wouldn't park my car downtown, on the street, overnight if it was covered bumper to bumper in Bernie Sanders campaign stickers...

Like I said earlier, agree to disagree. I was merely trying to highlight that I spend 50 hours a week downtown (and live in city limits) and it's not the warzone you describe. I've never seen a burned out car. Worst I ever see is some broken glass every now and then.

Thanks for your service as well!

Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel the need to talk politics when I'm out with my family or friends. I don't need to wear a sticker to get a guage on how safe I am. I have a business directly in front of a MAX stop and I have never felt threatened. Sure, you see your fair share of crazy people, but no more than any other larger town near public transportation.

I believe a factor in the differences in people's views here is actual danger vs perceived danger. I'm downtown and in close-in Portland nearly every day of the week, and have been for years. During the day and after sunset. I've never been threatened or feared for my life. If I did, I certainly wouldn't take my wife and young kids out.

Lol, definitely not that big, but not small either.

Sure, but the same can be said for any big city. Parts of downtown are sketchy, other parts aren't. I've walked all over downtown at night and the only places that make me nervous are near the Burnside bridge, the courthouse blocks, and the east side Esplanade.

You're right that in certain circumstances, in certain parts of downtown, you would see trouble if you had pro-LEO or MAGA stuff on your car and left it parked on the street for a week. Of course, the same thing would likely happen I put some BLM/Antifa stickers on my car and left it parked in Pendleton for a week. Or if I left it in downtown Seattle with some Timbers and Blazers stickers on it. Or if I just left my iPad on the passenger seat. That's why 99% of people park in a garages at night, where the likelihood of your car getting messed with goes down exponentially. Hell, I wouldn't park my car downtown, on the street, overnight if it was covered bumper to bumper in Bernie Sanders campaign stickers...

Like I said earlier, agree to disagree. I was merely trying to highlight that I spend 50 hours a week downtown (and live in city limits) and it's not the warzone you describe. I've never seen a burned out car. Worst I ever see is some broken glass every now and then.

Thanks for your service as well!
I can agree with most of what you've written here. Here's the thing though. If you are attacked for political reasons, the police can be watching and are under orders to do nothing. The thugs in Portland understand they can do as they will with no repercussions. Do they attack people constantly? No. Not yet. But it is a fact that they continue to get bolder. It is the fact that they can, that you exist at their sufferance, or so they believe. I'm not afraid to go downtown for myself, I'm afraid of what I may have to do to others since the police won't get involved.

I have no desire to wear a MAGA hat. However, I damn sure should be able to, without fear of physical attack. Further, I should be certain that if attacked for expressing a political view that the police would arrest my attackers and the Justice system would see justice done. This is not the case in Portland today. Because of this, insurance rates are going up and businesses are closing. These two things are indisputable facts.

Worldwide, Portland has a reputation for violence. It did not four years ago. This is another fact. I've been asked about the violence in cities all over the planet. I never bring it up myself. But when I mention I live on the outskirts of Portland, eyes get wide. Four years ago very few had even heard of Portland. Now they hear about the violence in Portland from their own news services.

There will always be violence in big cities, or even small cities like Portland. That's a given. But the fact that the violence in Portland against certain political groups is endorsed and encouraged by local government should scare the shoot out of everyone of every political leaning.

I can agree with most of what you've written here. Here's the thing though. If you are attacked for political reasons, the police can be watching and are under orders to do nothing. The thugs in Portland understand they can do as they will with no repercussions. Do they attack people constantly? No. Not yet. But it is a fact that they continue to get bolder. It is the fact that they can
Hello Nak, welcome to NWFA.com
Joined at 4 pm today and already have 4 positive feedback! WOW

I can agree with most of what you've written here. Here's the thing though. If you are attacked for political reasons, the police can be watching and are under orders to do nothing. The thugs in Portland understand they can do as they will with no repercussions. Do they attack people constantly? No. Not yet. But it is a fact that they continue to get bolder. It is the fact that they can, that you exist at their sufferance, or so they believe. I'm not afraid to go downtown for myself, I'm afraid of what I may have to do to others since the police won't get involved.

I have no desire to wear a MAGA hat. However, I damn sure should be able to, without fear of physical attack. Further, I should be certain that if attacked for expressing a political view that the police would arrest my attackers and the Justice system would see justice done. This is not the case in Portland today. Because of this, insurance rates are going up and businesses are closing. These two things are indisputable facts.

Worldwide, Portland has a reputation for violence. It did not four years ago. This is another fact. I've been asked about the violence in cities all over the planet. I never bring it up myself. But when I mention I live on the outskirts of Portland, eyes get wide. Four years ago very few had even heard of Portland. Now they hear about the violence in Portland from their own news services.

There will always be violence in big cities, or even small cities like Portland. That's a given. But the fact that the violence in Portland against certain political groups is endorsed and encouraged by local government should scare the shoot out of everyone of every political leaning.

The police won't do anything because they're on a work slowdown because people were mean to them all summer. They absolutely have a green light to crack skulls it's just that they can't outright go on strike so they show up to calls 45 minutes late.

My dad wears a maga hat into downtown Portland all the time and has been for four years. He has only been on the receiving end of mean comments and truly dangerous stares. People really need to stop watching the news and just... go outside.

If one were in their early 70's , retired doctor level professional, single, and wanting to leave Portland, where could they move to and avoid the social disease of the west coast and enjoy the outdoors and women?
Costa Rica. You can even have a firearm legally with the right paperwork. I really enjoyed SEA as well, and a lot of the guys I met over there were of the demo you describe. Start near the old Navy base around Olangapo, PH and work your way out from there would be my advice on SEA.

Costa Rica. You can even have a firearm legally with the right paperwork. I really enjoyed SEA as well, and a lot of the guys I met over there were of the demo you describe. Start near the old Navy base around Olangapo, PH and work your way out from there would be my advice on SEA.

Thanks. Does not seem like relocation in the USA is feasible because of the spread of social political disease?

Thanks. Does not seem like relocation in the USA is feasible because of the spread of social political disease?
I like being in the USA fine too. Perhaps people are sometimes letting the dominance of political news shape their lives more than is strictly healthy? I currently want to be in the place I currently reside for family reasons, and must be within the US or a territory for work. If not, I really liked the Philippines and Costa Rica looks good too.

If you're retired and don't wish to colocate with family your options are open.

Here's a simple test you can do. Choose one of the following T-shirts to wear on your night out downtown:

A. A MAGA shirt. I'm not a Trump fan, but you should be able to wear a shirt supporting a former president without being beat into submission. Go ahead, give it a try.
B. Too much? How about a T-shirt honoring police officers who fell in the line of duty. Make sure you have your insurance card in your pocket and a wear a bracelet with your blood type. Let your work know you'll be calling in sick for a month or two.
C. Still too much? How about just a shirt supporting the Republican party?

Yep, you can enjoy Portland as long as you stay in line. Don't rock the boat. Don't take pictures, video or ask questions. All of those will get you a beat down supported and encouraged by both Portland and Multnomah County. BTW, Portland is not going to be as much fun when it opens up. You do know a lot of places have closed due to the violence and vandalism, right? It's going to be a long time, if ever, before Portland recovers.

If anyone wears a virtue signaling shirt while they're going out to the bars I HOPE they get ostracized, "left" or "right". Wearing shirts like that is the exact same as putting those meaningless "we believe in SCIENCE" platitude lawn signs out. Lame as all hell. Wear a nice button up.

If anyone wears a virtue signaling shirt while they're going out to the bars I HOPE they get ostracized, "left" or "right". Wearing shirts like that is the exact same as putting those meaningless "we believe in SCIENCE" platitude lawn signs out. Lame as all hell. Wear a nice button up.
How about a red dress? Deserve what they get?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top