JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That was my thoughts the first time I went there .. it's why in my 5 years in Oregon I've been there three times and refuse to go again .

Portland makes me truly appreciate how clean cities are in the Midwest and the south .

Portland is a sewer. Been here since 2001. Literally counting the months until I can retire and move.

People from other parts of the country always say "Oh, Portland, I hear it's beautiful there". I quickly correct them.

Portland is by far the ugliest city I've ever lived in. Homeless everywhere. Grotesquely ugly architecture. Horrible traffic. Graffiti everywhere. Dirty people. Hippies. Smog. Drug markets on every corner. It's gross.

If one were in their early 70's , retired doctor level professional, single, and wanting to leave Portland, where could they move to and avoid the social disease of the west coast and enjoy the outdoors and women?

It's unbelievable to me that the leaders and elites don't feel immense shame for what they have created and their inability to fix it.
It's because they are arrogant, ignorant and live in areas where they don't have to look at or deal with it. Even if they knew how bad it is (which some do I assume), they'd never cop to being failures. People of their ilk never fail....And when the going gets tough?....They move......Just look what happened as soon as things got a tiny bit inconvenient for Ted.....he pulled pitch and found a safer place to live....Easy as that for someone with the means to do it. Not so much for the common man.

If Truman or JFK,, or perhaps even LBJ or Carter were running for office today, they would branded by the Dems as "Extreme right-wingers".
My 89 year old mother is a Democrat and has always voted D. I would venture to guess that in the hundreds (perhaps thousands) of votes she's cast in her lifetime, not a single one was for an "other than Democrat". She was born, raised and still lives in Kalifornya. When I sit down and talk to her about life issues and the things going on around the country, it's easy to see that she is absolutely conservative in her principles and ideals. However, as soon as I bring politics into it (for example, Gov Newsome signed a bill that does exactly what you are complaining about) she shuts down and doesn't want to hear about it. End of conversation. She's a die-hard and will defend the mighty "D" with all her heart, even though she thinks like an "R". It makes me think that many people are just programmed to look for a "D" or an "R" after the candidate's name and that's who gets their vote, when really today's "D" is not the same as it was 30 years ago.

My daughter lives in SE PDX with her (soon to be) husband. They are 30 somethings and really enjoy it for some of the reasons in prior posts. Both were indoctrinated while attending Oregon Universities so it is understandable. I love her and want to see her, so when I can't coax the two, to head my direction, we buck up and venture into the city for a visit. Their area isn't too bad, and although I fear for their safety, they don't feel unsafe so I guess it's all relative. Still it seems like no matter where you are in the city, if you just drive a couple blocks one way or the other, you enter a place that makes you wonder if you're still in PDX. Also seems like on the drive home, my wife and I have lots to talk about because we've seen some crazy stuff getting in and out.

I lived in Sausalito part of a summer half a century ago. Some of it was charming and part of it was simply malignant.....
PDX is losing its charm in trade for metastatic social pathology.

It's because they are arrogant, ignorant and live in areas where they don't have to look at or deal with it. Even if they knew how bad it is (which some do I assume), they'd never cop to being failures. People of their ilk never fail....And when the going gets tough?....They move......Just look what happened as soon as things got a tiny bit inconvenient for Ted.....he pulled pitch and found a safer place to live....Easy as that for someone with the means to do it. Not so much for the common man.

My 89 year old mother is a Democrat and has always voted D. I would venture to guess that in the hundreds (perhaps thousands) of votes she's cast in her lifetime, not a single one was for an "other than Democrat". She was born, raised and still lives in Kalifornya. When I sit down and talk to her about life issues and the things going on around the country, it's easy to see that she is absolutely conservative in her principles and ideals. However, as soon as I bring politics into it (for example, Gov Newsome signed a bill that does exactly what you are complaining about) she shuts down and doesn't want to hear about it. End of conversation. She's a die-hard and will defend the mighty "D" with all her heart, even though she thinks like an "R". It makes me think that many people are just programmed to look for a "D" or an "R" after the candidate's name and that's who gets their vote, when really today's "D" is not the same as it was 30 years ago.

My daughter lives in SE PDX with her (soon to be) husband. They are 30 somethings and really enjoy it for some of the reasons in prior posts. Both were indoctrinated while attending Oregon Universities so it is understandable. I love her and want to see her, so when I can't coax the two, to head my direction, we buck up and venture into the city for a visit. Their area isn't too bad, and although I fear for their safety, they don't feel unsafe so I guess it's all relative. Still it seems like no matter where you are in the city, if you just drive a couple blocks one way or the other, you enter a place that makes you wonder if you're still in PDX. Also seems like on the drive home, my wife and I have lots to talk about because we've seen some crazy stuff getting in and out.

The D used to supposedly stand up for the middle class and blue collar folks including the poor. .Now since they are done using them they are easily disposable with new laws and taxes . They will do the same to the many versions of minority's & people with a cause they whole heartily believe in . After they are used up & a new underdog comes along.

Last Edited:
Where would you move to? Cite above referenced Montana and Idaho are in the process of being ruined.

I'm not in my 70s yet but when I retire, the short list is Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Utah is another possibility. Alaska is another, though my wife is not keen on that idea. I happen to like wide open spaces so Oklahoma or Texas would be fine with me as well but I'm not the only decision-maker.

We also like the Dakotas.

Culturally I like some of the Bible belt states but the weather is unbearable. Tennessee may be an exception.

Notice a trend? Red states in flyover country and those with fewer big cities are higher up the list.

The sole (and I do mean sole) reason we live in Portland is our jobs, which are not available in flyover states. If they were, I would move tomorrow and so would my wife. And she was born here.

I'm not in my 70s yet but when I retire, the short list is Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Utah is another possibility. Alaska is another, though my wife is not keen on that idea. I happen to like wide open spaces so Oklahoma or Texas would be fine with me as well but I'm not the only decision-maker.

We also like the Dakotas.

Culturally I like some of the Bible belt states but the weather is unbearable. Tennessee may be an exception.

Notice a trend? Red states in flyover country and those with fewer big cities are higher up the list.

The sole (and I do mean sole) reason we live in Portland is our jobs, which are not available in flyover states. If they were, I would move tomorrow and so would my wife. And she was born here.
Prices have skyrocketed to three times previous asking prices for new home construction in N. Idaho. People from CA are selling their overpriced homes and bidding in cash.

Prices have skyrocketed to three times previous asking prices for new home construction in N. Idaho. People from CA are selling their overpriced homes and bidding in cash.
Yup, that's the case for most of the NW. Pretty easy decision if you're the seller. Pretty much guaranteed to close on 1-2 weeks. Highest offer usually (5-10k more), no need to worry about appraisal or even inspection if they're buying "as-is".

Yup, that's the case for most of the NW. Pretty easy decision if you're the seller. Pretty much guaranteed to close on 1-2 weeks. Highest offer usually (5-10k more), no need to worry about appraisal or even inspection if they're buying "as-is".

Northern Idaho...not my favorite part. Though someone did tell me that "Boise is the new Portland" which make me want to vomit.

The problem with some states is the cities. It's the Oregon syndrome, where the governor is elected by winning only two counties clustered around one metro area and when asked, can't even locate other counties on the map.

No, I have been to all the major cities of Europe, and many of the cities in the U.S. And Portland and Seattle are very special. I have never seen anywhere as bubblegumed up as those two cesspools.
Apparently you haven't been to many cities on the east coast. Many of them are way worse than the west coast.

I just do t understand who's buying their house in the communist republic of California?

I think there's a lot more investor money - both big orgs and people getting into it on their own - flowing than we tend to believe. Lot more $ sloshing around the country than even in the recent past.

"Inflation" is low they (yes, them!) keep telling us. o_O Ummm... no...? :confused:

If one were in their early 70's , retired doctor level professional, single, and wanting to leave Portland, where could they move to and avoid the social disease of the west coast and enjoy the outdoors and women?

Retired in their early 70's looks at the area of SE Oklahoma called Green Country... Mountains, Lakes, Creeks and Rivers every where. Great hunting , small towns , polite people , and no woke social justice protesting nonsense.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top