JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So. I'm watching this show called Live PD or Live COP's and OMG. The Cop's find a semi-auto handgun on a bad guy. The officer can't figure out how to drop the magazine and all the while he is waving the gun at his partner, who IIRC also points his weapon at him. The idiot finally drops the mag and them racks the slide several times and pulls the trigger, having never once looked in the chamber. Scared me and I wasn't even there. Don't these guy's get any training?
I watched and seen it. Yeah, let's air these dumb clucks on TV!

That and, their money allowed me to be a lot more intensive on training for those two years than I could've afforded on a college student's budget--without it, I probably would have downgraded to a lot closer to where local LEOs are for ammo-burn albeit higher frequency of range sessions, simply because of budget limits. :) (Doesn't matter what your prefs are if you can't make the checks to pay for 'em clear, right?)

The problem with these live police shows is that it isn't necessarily live. Some of the action is staged and they usually use officers that look good on it, not always the most qualified.When you are in the spotlight you sometimes do not think clearly as you may know from some game shows. People freeze or come up with totally inappropriate answers. Sadly there are some officers out there who should not be officers, not many, but some.

I lived in inner SE Portland for some time, west of 50th. Two doors down lived an Oregon State Trooper and our families became friends as our daughters were the same age. He received a monthly a supply of ammo that he was supposed to do range time with. He hated it. He gave it to me and I shot the heck out of it. I'd pick up the brass and return it to him as he had to turn it in as proof that he had in fact went out and practiced. Good deal for me.

Pretty much.
I listen to the Portland Police/Multnomah County Sherrif a lot and I can't believe how much time is spent on 'welfare checks'. I pretty much feel like you guys are amazing.

I know a few cops and it's funny, a couple are into firearms and a couple really aren't and like surprisingly so.

Edit to add==> I am astounded how professional most of the dispatchers and policemen conduct their business on the radio even when the 's' hits the fan. Anybody complaining about The PPB and MCSO being thugs in general is just not aware. Frankly I think they could be a little thuggier lol. I know sometimes things go off the rails but when I listen to that scanner and how busy it is and what they are dealing with I just feel grateful.

Last Edited:
I haven't known many cops, but the few I've been close with knew their stuff. However I was very surprised to learn that many if not most LEO's aren't necessarily gun guys.
Been around them (LEO's) all my life do to some family. I have known several who were not gun people at all. Several who only really knew how to use the guns they used at work and that was it. They did not shoot at all other than what was required at work. Now back in the day when it was rare for some moron to shoot at a Cop many could better afford this thinking. As time has passed and liberals have coddled criminals more have had to learn to be a lot more proactive.

The vast majority aren't! You'll find lots of questions about gun ownership on big city written tests and I can't for a minute think it benefits the candidate to admit they are a firearm enthusiast.

I have two friends in law enforcement, and both are "gun guys", one much more so than the other to the degree that he gets called "Tackleberry" (how original).

A friend went through the application process for the OSP a couple years ago. One of the questions on a survey/test that surprised him was whether he owned any "assault weapons". Are OSP officers not supposed to own "assault weapons"?

He answered in the affirmative, that he owned two of them. I gave him some heck for that because the only semi-autos he owns are an M1 Garand and an unmodified SKS, neither of which are "assault weapons" by any definition.

I have two friends in law enforcement, and both are "gun guys", one much more so than the other to the degree that he gets called "Tackleberry" (how original).

A friend went through the application process for the OSP a couple years ago. One of the questions on a survey/test that surprised him was whether he owned any "assault weapons". Are OSP officers not supposed to own "assault weapons"?

He answered in the affirmative, that he owned two of them. I gave him some heck for that because the only semi-autos he owns are an M1 Garand and an unmodified SKS, neither of which are "assault weapons" by any definition.
Tackleberry haha. Made me lol. 2 likes.

I'm an LEO, Reserve Patrol Sergeant for the Grant Co Sheriff's Office. Range and Firearms Instructor. I'm a total gun nut and gear queer. That being said I'm not a natural "shooter." I have to work on my craft every week. At least 200 rounds combination pistol and rifle (I can literally shoot up to 110yds from my deck). Most of the guys I work with are gun nuts. But time is a very valuable commodity and it is a wake up call when we get a new reserve or others that don't know one end of the firearm from another. Getting paid for range time and ammunition is a nice thought, but the reality is budget trumps everything. OT to train, ammo costs (which your dollar goes 3 times farther then 4 years ago thank goodness), repairs, etc., all eat away at the training priorities. That being said I've made a promise to myself that the day I can't qual cold on PQC1 and 2 is the day I hang up my spurs.

I was at the Social Security office once, and the armed security guard was a middle aged woman. I asked her what kind of handgun she was carrying and she said, I don't know, whatever they gave me. I'm not smart enough to make this up.

I was at the Social Security office once, and the armed security guard was a middle aged woman. I asked her what kind of handgun she was carrying and she said, I don't know, whatever they gave me. I'm not smart enough to make this up.

This really happened here. Security Co office has customer across street. Middle of night one guard comes in, tells dispatcher "hey there's a door open over at XYZ.". Tells dispatcher he's going to go check. This is before cell phones and I guess he did not think to take a walkie. So little while goes by and other guard decides it's been too long. So he leaves office and he goes into XYZ business. Meanwhile another guard shows up at office. Finds no one there and sees door open across street. So he goes into building. At this point all 3 of these clowns have their guns out in hand. Only reason this ended well is back then they were only armed with .38's. 3 clowns come around a corner and run into each other and open up. 18 rounds later no one has been hit. All I could think of was what must have the conversation sounded like in the morning. When owner of security co had to meet with brass at now former customer to explain all those bullet holes in the walls.

There's a story I heard long ago that was pretty famous, so if I've got it all wrong someone please correct me.

An officer was following a bad guy in a car, waiting for the right time to force him over. As I recall the guy had just robbed a business and shot someone or some such. Another officer, a rookie, comes up and forces him over an embankment. Bad guy's car is disabled so officer #1 (veteran) stops his car at an angle to provide himself cover while bad guy jumps out and starts firing.

Officer #2 (rookie) rolls up, jumps out and stands in the open blasting away at bad guy, while officer #1 is yelling at him to get down and get out of his way so he can get a shot.

Bad guy and officer #2 are standing 30 feet from each other blasting away; officer #2 even reloads with a fresh mag to keep blasting. Officer #1 finally has enough, steps out into the open, and fires one shot to end it. Every shot exchanged between bad guy and rookie went into the ground between them. The veteran officer had the training and presence of mind to do what had to be done. Probably was a gun guy too, if I had to guess.

Reminds me a little of the Mohammad-cartoon thing in Texas a couple years ago. Two nut-job radicals wearing body armor and armed to the teeth show up to cause mayhem, start blasting away at a lone Texas cop, and he takes them down.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top