JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So. I'm watching this show called Live PD or Live COP's and OMG. The Cop's find a semi-auto handgun on a bad guy. The officer can't figure out how to drop the magazine and all the while he is waving the gun at his partner, who IIRC also points his weapon at him. The idiot finally drops the mag and them racks the slide several times and pulls the trigger, having never once looked in the chamber. Scared me and I wasn't even there. Don't these guy's get any training?

I haven't known many cops, but the few I've been close with knew their stuff. However I was very surprised to learn that many if not most LEO's aren't necessarily gun guys.

I haven't known many cops, but the few I've been close with knew their stuff. However I was very surprised to learn that many if not most LEO's aren't necessarily gun guys.

The vast majority aren't! You'll find lots of questions about gun ownership on big city written tests and I can't for a minute think it benefits the candidate to admit they are a firearm enthusiast.

I suspect 75% of the members on here, or more, could out shoot 90% of LEOs on a PPC. Give a couple weeks tactical training and have a little test on building clearing, and most would be right up to snuff.

For LEOs, there is no excuse. We get paid range time and free ammo. It's a perishable skill that you have to maintain. Most LEOs will never fire a round in their career, but people are counting on them when it does go bad. Its exasperating when you hold an open range day and half a dozen people show up.

It amazes me how some guys see range day as "work". For me, its fun! I do it on my own time! I guess I'd be better off running and doing judo.
LOL, if I could get a gig that required range time and paid for my ammo, I'd do the hours on the firing-line free as long as the rest covered costs-of-living and a little for the Retirement and Move GF Here funds... :)

LOL, if I could get a gig that required range time and paid for my ammo, I'd do the hours on the firing-line free as long as the rest covered costs-of-living and a little for the Retirement and Move GF Here funds... :)

On top of that, we get two boxes if ammo a month, and eight boxes every six months. That's 1800 FREE rounds of ammo practice off duty.

OK, if that's ALL I get I might need to charge for training time... but at a generously discounted rate, say half-time. :) Back when I was doing EP in college, a thousand rounds was ONE qual session... every six months a full factory case burned, 500 "for score" and the first 500 to wear and stress myself into a condition more approximating "absorbed the first strike" since letting the rangemaster beat me to pulp before starting the shoot was a No Go as much for their safety as mine. (Granted, the fact that my Principal and her folks were picking up a big chunk of my ammo tab may have made me a little on the generous side... then again, since she burned a good chunk of the Training & Qual stash by having me teach her to shoot too, I figure they didn't have much room for complaint. :) )

More than once my buddies in Campus Security had to help me back up the stairs and into the building after those shoots...

Don't these guy's get any training?
Yes in:
Sensitivity
Political Correctness
Using 'Generic' descriptions of people E.G. no one is a 'suspect' anymore - they are all 'Community Citizens' (or something to that effect)
The use of positive and uplifting words and phrases when talking to the 'suspect' - Not unlike how the people had to talk to Billy Mumy in the episode of the Twilight Zone 'Its a good life'
Gun handling and personal safety is probably the least of all.

Last Edited:
Yes in:
Sensitivity
Political Correctness
Using 'Generic' descriptions of people E.G. no one is a 'suspect' anymore - they are all 'Community Citizens' (or something to that effect)
The use of positive and uplifting words and phrases when talking to the 'suspect' - Not unlike how the people in had to talk to Billy Mumy in the episode of the Twilight Zone 'Its a good life'
Gun handling and personal safety is probably the least of all.

Pretty much.

The vast majority aren't! You'll find lots of questions about gun ownership on big city written tests and I can't for a minute think it benefits the candidate to admit they are a firearm enthusiast.

I suspect 75% of the members on here, or more, could out shoot 90% of LEOs on a PPC. Give a couple weeks tactical training and have a little test on building clearing, and most would be right up to snuff.

For LEOs, there is no excuse. We get paid range time and free ammo. It's a perishable skill that you have to maintain. Most LEOs will never fire a round in their career, but people are counting on them when it does go bad. Its exasperating when you hold an open range day and half a dozen people show up.

:s0101:
Was just having this convo with the step son(LEO) He's in a smaller dept and there are 3 guys there that are gun guys. The rest could care less. Years ago I worked PT as a RO/firearms instructor mainly to help support my gun habit. The guy I worked for had a deal with the city and county to train and run their Q programs.
OMG, I honestly was in shock at some of the stuff I saw, and the lack of skill from the vast majority of these officers. I'm not running cops down, I'm really not, but for someone who is supposed to protect and serve the lack of shooting skills was honestly a bit scary. From what the boy says not much has changed in that respect.:( Son takes off next week for a week long combat medic class. Looking forward to learning what they taught him;)

OK, if that's ALL I get I might need to charge for training time... but at a generously discounted rate, say half-time. :) Back when I was doing EP in college, a thousand rounds was ONE qual session... every six months a full factory case burned, 500 "for score" and the first 500 to wear and stress myself into a condition more approximating "absorbed the first strike" since letting the rangemaster beat me to pulp before starting the shoot was a No Go as much for their safety as mine. (Granted, the fact that my Principal and her folks were picking up a big chunk of my ammo tab may have made me a little on the generous side... then again, since she burned a good chunk of the Training & Qual stash by having me teach her to shoot too, I figure they didn't have much room for complaint. :) )

More than once my buddies in Campus Security had to help me back up the stairs and into the building after those shoots...
I think in the final analysis one is "charged" with their life.
Perhaps in a perfect world people would assume individual responsibility for same and not look to their union/government.
We can only hope.

I think in the final analysis one is "charged" with their life.
Perhaps in a perfect world people would assume individual responsibility for same and not look to their union/government.
We can only hope.
True, but my comment was in context of "Paid Time & Ammo" LEO training. And that backp[edal wasn't so much for the time, as helping defray the added ammo expense... thousand-round cases get expensive fast, ya know? :)

Sorta like if we're going to dinner: if it's MY dime, we're going to Denny's. YOURS and my call, it's a high-end steakhouse though probably not as expensive as Ruth's Chris unless you're a client who's royally p***ed me off and now insists on a face-to-face meeting.

Last Edited:
True, but my comment was in context of "Paid Time & Ammo" LEO training. And that backp[edal wasn't so much for the time, as helping defray the added ammo expense... thousand-round cases get expensive fast, ya know? :)
I guess I understand what you're saying.. that people have and make choices? edge a my seat here

I guess my point is one can be more generous with how they allocate their training resources, and the choices are a lot easier for prioritizing, when somebody else picks up the check. :) (It was easier for the young lady I was protecting to get her way about tagging along with me on training days because her folks were paying for the ammo... if it'd been totally my tab, I woulda told her "you buy your own ammo and cover your range fees and you're welcome to come along.")

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top