JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have you considered what would happen to zoos, wildlife "safaris"/et. al., and "sanctuaries"/rescue centers/etc., if we get hit by something like the Cascadian Subduction Zone earthquake?

Elephants
Rhinos
Tigers
Leopards
Lions (both African and cougars)
Bears - polar and brown
Cheetah
Hippos (the most dangerous animal in Africa - more people are killed by hippos than lions)
etc.

Then there are all the feral dogs.

Of course, humans are still the most dangerous, with only feral/abandoned dogs rivaling them in numbers.

But there are a number of places that have wildlife in them that we are not used to, that are not afraid of humans due to being cared for by humans, who might escape in one way or another, should we get hit by "the big one".

What kind of 556 ammo would you buy for an 600 pound 10 foot long tiger?

For 900 pound polar bear?

These are large apex predators.

ALOT?
Seriously, polar bears won't get far, their organs are worth a fortune! Big cats are dangerous but even a 12 GA slug will break em down plenty fast. The African Buffs and assorted antelope will cause as much collective damage because PPL will try to pet them, not take them as the danger they are, heck primates are a huge danger The males will rip your gonads off and eat your face.

A 12ga slug would be my go to.

Honestly, though even some warning shots from a smaller caliber would most likely startle any large normally caged animals into running the other way IMO.

I was watching one of those Alaska Adventure shows a while back and to my surprise one of the natives dropped a grizzly in his tracks using an AR15 (assault rifle with a 30calibermagazineclip)

Otto Skorzeny tells a story of tiger that was running loose during the German drive thru Belgium in 1940.
He ended up shooting the tiger after a terrified baker reported the tiger to be in his shop.
Andy

Yup, just like this one...

upload_2016-7-15_21-52-46.png

upload_2016-7-15_21-53-18.png

upload_2016-7-15_21-53-53.png

It lived in Rhodesia between 1913 and 1990...it, too, is in 7x57 Mauser.

It points like a good shotgun, and is instant death on charging bloons. Weighs in at just 6 lbs 9 ounces, so it's a mite lively with full loads of 175gr FMJs.

tac

Yup, just like this one...

View attachment 302459

View attachment 302460

View attachment 302461

It lived in Rhodesia between 1913 and 1990...it, too, is in 7x57 Mauser.

It points like a good shotgun, and is instant death on charging bloons. Weighs in at just 6 lbs 9 ounces, so it's a mite lively with full loads of 175gr FMJs.

tac

My M-70 Super Grade has the same stock, and yes, they do point like magic. When shooting against real dangerous game one never feels the recoilo_O

What kind of 556 ammo would you buy for an 600 pound 10 foot long tiger?

For 900 pound polar bear?

These are large apex predators.

ROFLMAO what makes you think I even own a firearm that uses 5.56mm? Granted my 30-06 and .35 Whelen would be marginal on some of the African animals but both have taken all of them. And since it wouldn't be a sporting event I would have no trouble dumping a clip from the M1 Garand into any big critter that might eat me.

As to Hippos I think you would find the people they kill tend to be in the water.

Around here a Hippo in the water is going to be one hurting critter they aren't set up for 50 degree water.

The big cats would be the most trouble. Even zoo raised animals which almost all of them would be can half assed hunt.

Elephants eat grass and trees
Hippos eat water plants

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews