JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What is a field gun? How does the NAA not apply? I agree the styling is not for everyone. They have different more traditional-looking guns.

To me a "field gun" is something I take with me when I go "afield" - when I go out in the woods. Not necessarily hunting, but just a sidearm that I take along. Not necessarily for self-defense either. Usually a revolver vs. something like a Glock. A sidearm that is more general purpose, not hunting, not self-defense, but something I could use for either purpose.

The NAA to me, seems to be a little pocket gun a hideaway gun, not something you would use for shooting a squirrel. I have pocket/hideway guns - all are semi-autos.

I'm in the same boat, looking for my Goldie locks gun. It's heavier of course but my 5.x?" Ruger Mark Twain competition with slab side shoots about a quarter @ 47' with crappy bulk ammo ( Federal champion / rem gold bullet, win m-22's) with a dirt cheap 1x red dot. And I'm talking about 30-40 rounds not no 3-5 shot "sample" group. It's a Athens Olympic fundraiser pistol. Absolutely love it beside the weight... I have a spare Mark Twain to try the PAC lite eventually. Want to try the woodsman's, hi standard and Bucmarks as well.
But I'm like you.. my ideal setup would be like a s&w airwieght revolver ti cylinder scandium frame with maybe a Ti or stainless barrel liner. In 4-6 inches. Good adjustable sights are must. 10 shot would be awesome as well as .22LR/.22WMR compatibility. Looking for something very packable I can carry hundreds of rounds for and not weighed 10-20lbs. And avoid or do very minimal care and maintenance.

Basically looking for the perfect game getter for bug out gun.

Wish I could help more, but Im trying to convey I think there's alot of us out there trying to open a market that's not quite geared for us with specific demands.

329PD in .44 magnum weighs less than many .22 revolvers!

Yeah no doubt...lol. man I totally dreamed night and day about that 329PD in .44 for years. Small part of me still wants one but I've heard that recoil is fierce. Hard to beat for super light weight ultimate stopping power though. That and I'd only want to carry about 20-24 rounds of ammo. Idk Im to broke to afford cool stuff like that anyway

Seems to me there's a sizeable market for top notch survival/ prepper gear...but of course I'd say that lol.

Everybody has got their own idea of what kind of gun is the best compromise. More and more, I see shootability taking a back seat to carryability. For me, dimensions are more important than weight. I like a short barrel with a round grip frame.

For a carry revolver in .22, ten ounces more weight for a gun that shoots ten times better, and lasts ten times longer, is weight intelligently acquired. A Smith model 34 is not terribly heavy, but it is all steel, and I think a substantially better shooter than an aluminum gun. And a few more ounces than the Model 34, is the SP101. And i consider that an even better choice.

Choices make the world go 'round.:cool:

WAYNO.

To me a "field gun" is something I take with me when I go "afield" - when I go out in the woods. Not necessarily hunting, but just a sidearm that I take along. Not necessarily for self-defense either. Usually a revolver vs. something like a Glock. A sidearm that is more general purpose, not hunting, not self-defense, but something I could use for either purpose.

The NAA to me, seems to be a little pocket gun a hideaway gun, not something you would use for shooting a squirrel. I have pocket/hideway guns - all are semi-autos.

Just curious, have you looked at the NAA models with longer barrels? They have 4" and 6" models that are still ultra compact and lightweight. I like the NAA's myself, though they're not for everyone. I'd like to add a 4" model to my collection some day.

This model weighs in at 10.7 oz and has some decent sights on it:

411549309_1.jpg

NAA NAA-MM-L Mini-Master 5RD 22LR 4

This model comes with both .22lr and .22WMR cylinders. 4" barrel and weighs in at only 8 oz:

sw4.jpg

NA SIDEWINDER .22LR/.22WMR 4

Yeah no doubt...lol. man I totally dreamed night and day about that 329PD in .44 for years. Small part of me still wants one but I've heard that recoil is fierce. Hard to beat for super light weight ultimate stopping power though. That and I'd only want to carry about 20-24 rounds of ammo. Idk Im to broke to afford cool stuff like that anyway

Seems to me there's a sizeable market for top notch survival/ prepper gear...but of course I'd say that lol.

Recoil is pretty significant, especially with really hot loads. With standard loads your hands still sting. Even with 200 grain .44 special loads it is still significant. I tried 165 gr. Hornady CD loads and those are controlable for fast shots but still you know you have shot a lightweight gun.

By comparison, my 460 magnum, which is much heavier and has a compensator, is not bad to shoot at all - but then I haven't tried heavy loads in it.

I like my 329 PD for a field gun as .44 mag is very versatile, but it isn't something I would shoot a squirrel/rabbit/grouse with - at least it isn't my first choice for that.

Everybody has got their own idea of what kind of gun is the best compromise. More and more, I see shootability taking a back seat to carryability. For me, dimensions are more important than weight. I like a short barrel with a round grip frame.

For a carry revolver in .22, ten ounces more weight for a gun that shoots ten times better, and lasts ten times longer, is weight intelligently acquired. A Smith model 34 is not terribly heavy, but it is all steel, and I think a substantially better shooter than an aluminum gun. And a few more ounces than the Model 34, is the SP101. And i consider that an even better choice.

Choices make the world go 'round.:cool:

WAYNO.

I am an out of shape 62+ year old guy with a bad back. Every ounce makes a difference to me.

Generally I would not be only carrying a .22 handgun, but that in addition to something else depending on the situation.

It all adds up.

The NAA to me, seems to be a little pocket gun a hideaway gun, not something you would use for shooting a squirrel.

4" barrel, just like about every other gun we are discussing here. As to grip, I assume you could make one that is larger than stock, or get one of the aftermarket grips:

I am particularly interested in the .22WMR conversion aspect, which is not available in most of the other guns.

I have to add I have no experience with these guns so I don't know how good they are. I do have the little Freedom Arms mini which is very hard to hit anything with. I'm hoping the Mini Master is just a bit larger, enough so to make it usable.

4" barrel, just like about every other gun we are discussing here. As to grip, I assume you could make one that is larger than stock, or get one of the aftermarket grips:

I am particularly interested in the .22WMR conversion aspect, which is not available in most of the other guns.

I have to add I have no experience with these guns so I don't know how good they are. I do have the little Freedom Arms mini which is very hard to hit anything with. I'm hoping the Mini Master is just a bit larger, enough so to make it usable.
This is a very minimalist cartridge even out of a long barrel and you are handicapping it even further. I'm afraid should the need arise for you fire it in self defense, chances are you may only P them off. NAA are last ditch weapons, and I personally wouldn't carry one of these little pop guns that have dinky grips and stud triggers which are notoriously poor. I suggest making another selection for something you may end up betting your life on.
How much is your life worth to you?
I spent every dime I had to buy my SR9C!
Gabby

Wise choice!
You can't go wrong with a S&W, especially one of the earlier ones and that looks brand new, but I suspect it isn't! Judging by the condition of the box.
Gabby

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews