JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Experience with these revolvers?

I want a .22 RF revolver that is lightweight and handy, that I would carry in the field as an ad-hoc impromptu hunting handgun if I come across a rabbit or grouse or something like that at relatively close range. I understand that this wouldn't have the range or velocity of my Browning Buckmark with optics, but it would be something so light and small that I wouldn't notice carrying it. Just another option.

I would prefer that it have a 4 to 5" barrel, but it doesn't have to absolutely be that long - OTOH, nothing less than 3".

So far, that leaves me with the S&W 317 Kit gun and the CA Pathfinder (4.2" barrel) - the latter comes in either aluminum or stainless? I would prefer the aluminum.

I once had a .44 Spc. CA Bulldog years ago - it was okay, but not the quality of a Ruger or S&W.

I wish Ruger made their SP101 .22 RF in aluminum or titanium, but they don't seem inclined to go that far with any of their revolvers - indeed, finding an SP101 in .22 with 4"+ barrel is hard enough.

I wonder if the Alfa Proj Revolver in .22LR could fit the bill. They come in 4" and 6" variants, have adjustable sights, and have an alloy frame, though they aren't as light as some wheelguns. I don't have any experience with them, though I have been tempted by the .32 Long version for a similar role. Parts may be an issue, though I have had good results with Czechpoint for taking care of vz61.

241_600.jpg

Anyway, you're right that the S&W probably is the better option, but the specs reminded me of these revolvers. Cheers. :)

After googling, I think I will pass on the CA. Apparently it is a dice toss whether you get a good CA or not. I would rather not deal with those kinds of issues even though I would prefer to have the longer barrel.

I looked for a small, quality .22LR for some time until I found my grail.. a Smith model 34-1. Two inch barrel, six shots of <POP> on demand. Had to pay for it but I had looked so long price wasnt an object- and how different from the "other" offerings on the .22 market!
Fits in my pocket, don't really need a holster but use one just to protect the finish from sweat... Doubtful I'll need another .22 revolver in my lifetime.:)

Here is the data on Ruger's SP101 and here is the better, heavier GP-100 street prices are lower, at Davidson's for me the 101 is on sale at $561 and the 100 is out of stock, 8 shooter Vs 10 shooter, I read a good review on the GP100 22LR.

Oh and Davidson's does not have the 317 available either, but they do have the 63, steel version of the 317, 317 12 ounces, 63 is 26 ounces, Their price on a 63 was $660

Last Edited:
The AirLite w/ aluminum cylinder S&W 317 Kit Gun is to light to shoot accurately. I sold mine, which took quite a while, & bought a M63. Much better gun & not that much heavier.

Being a died in the wool S&W man I would opt for the kit gun just because the quality of those earlier revolvers is hard to beat.
That being said I often couldn't afford them and I bought an CA undercover 38spl back around 1970 for a backup and off duty gun, and still have it as a matter of fact I've owned and carried it longer than any gun I own and will never part with it till they throw dirt in my face, it's never been in the shop for anything!
Gabby

One of my favorite guns to drool on, the NAA Mini Master, would fit your recipe well. Combo .22LR/.22WMR is available. Price not too bad either. Weight around 11 oz.

What about the Ruger Bearcat? Now available with adjustable sights. I have a fixed sight version, very nice gun. I haven't been too impressed with accuracy though, but maybe I need to try some different loads.

What is a field gun? How does the NAA not apply? I agree the styling is not for everyone. They have different more traditional-looking guns.

I was surprised at the Bearcat weight. It never struck me as being that heavy.

I would give a nod to a double action Smith & Wesson. The early Model 63 is a very fine little piece of nearly indestructible 100% stainless steel engineering. With a lot of double action revolvers, you often avoid a bulky full-length ejector rod housing. By the way, Smith & Wesson revolvers will probably have the lightest and narrowest barrels as well. :cool:

Have you thought about getting a Tactical Solutions barrel for your Buckmark? That will certainly lighten up your current rig for packing around... Cheaper than buying a new gun too!

I have had a couple of the newer 317 lightweight kit guns and neither one of them shot accurately enough to take a grouse or a rabbit further than about 10 feet. Pretty poor for a S&W wheel gun in my opinion, so they both went down the road. I like the older model 34 Smiths, one in a 4" would do nice, but kinda steep what they are asking for them used...

Have you thought about getting a Tactical Solutions barrel for your Buckmark? That will certainly lighten up your current rig for packing around... Cheaper than buying a new gun too!

I do have a TacSol barrel on my BB and I have their scope mount too. I like it. The thing about a revolver is that it usually isn't a semi-auto (a few actually are!) and therefore can shoot any ammo.

I have had a couple of the newer 317 lightweight kit guns and neither one of them shot accurately enough to take a grouse or a rabbit further than about 10 feet. Pretty poor for a S&W wheel gun in my opinion, so they both went down the road. I like the older model 34 Smiths, one in a 4" would do nice, but kinda steep what they are asking for them used...

Ok thanks - that is the kind of feedback I want to hear. I want a fairly accurate gun.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top