JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I suggest you take a look at a used model H&R 929. Small, light, 9 shot cylinder and as accurate as a .22 can be at an affordable price. Made in the USA as well. I've hunted my entire life (well since I was about 11 or 12) and I'm 76 now. Many years ago when the things I packed with me hunting began to get weighty I got rid of my Blackhawk as a hunting sidearm. I went to the H&R. I reasoned I was already carrying a potent weapon in the form of my rifle and that could handle any foreseeable animal/human threat. The .22 works well as a dispatch weapon with a shot to the head (mafia style) and the big benefit comes when you realize you can carry 50 extra rounds in your pack for about the same weight as 6 extra .357 rounds.

After googling, I think I will pass on the CA. Apparently it is a dice toss whether you get a good CA or not. I would rather not deal with those kinds of issues even though I would prefer to have the longer barrel.

Things are improving for Charter Arms. Quality control is getting better. CA isn't a bad choice for a "budget friendly" revolver chambered for the .22 Long Rifle cartridge..

Remember, the primary comments you hear about firearms are complaints. Few people come on and speak on ad infinitum about how good a lower cost revolver is meeting their needs.

My Charter Arms Undercover 38spl, I've had for around 45 years has never had a problem and has never been to a smith for any reason, every time I've loaded it up and pulled the trigger it has gone bang! :D
For the money what more can you ask out of a 2" barreled belly gun?
Heretic, the S&W you bought is the RR of Kit guns, what more can you ask for?
Gabby

Last Edited:
I have a near pristine smith 34-1 with a steel frame and a slightly over 3" barrel with original wood stocks. Its light, easy to carry, accurate, and has an exceptional trigger. I don't know what they go for now and I don't remember what I paid for it but it fits what you describe. Or, get a 22-45 and put some volquartsen parts in it. I have one of those too and it also fits what you describe, although its not as sweet as the smith.

Nothing like reviving an old thread. I resurrected another contender to the handy, lightweight woods bumming .22 revolver today.

IMG_0617.JPG

High Standard Sentinel. Barrel is a bit long, but a friend might have a 4" barrel I might put on later.

Someone took this apart years ago. I got it from a friend and had it in pieces in a box for years. Got bored today and reassembled it. Have a few bugs to work out, but impressed so far. Always enjoyed a puzzle, but I prefer when there aren't extra pieces.

It will be a good, inexpensive gun to take into the field.

Had a Sentinnel mk IV for years and years. A bit heavy, the trigger was nothing to write home about, and the cylinders were always sticky after shooting a few times. So I gave it to my SIL. Now I have the model 43 airweight kit gun, but I am thinking of getting a Ruger LCRx with 3" because I am kind of loathe to carry that nice collectable S&W around in the field - might give it to my daughter if I like the Ruger cause I know she would not beat it up.

Yeah, this one didn't cost anything but time and frustration. The right price for a bumming knock around gun. The S&W's are beautiful, but I sold my 17 because it was too nice to carry afield.

This one is a very early r-100, which probably explains why someone else didn't reassemble it. Needed to make a slave pin and took several efforts. It didn't help that there were extra springs in the baggy o' gun.

If I were looking to buy one to serve this purpose, it would likely be the Ruger. But the price on this one was too good to pass up.

Nothing like reviving an old thread. I resurrected another contender to the handy, lightweight woods bumming .22 revolver today.

View attachment 388948

High Standard Sentinel. Barrel is a bit long, but a friend might have a 4" barrel I might put on later.

Someone took this apart years ago. I got it from a friend and had it in pieces in a box for years. Got bored today and reassembled it. Have a few bugs to work out, but impressed so far. Always enjoyed a puzzle, but I prefer when there aren't extra pieces.
It will be a good, inexpensive gun to take into the field.

Thirty years ago I had an excellent nine-shot .22 revolver, the High Standard Sentinel III. (Why are modern makers stupid enough NOT to make a nine-shot? You can shoot S-O-S!) It was a four-inch, all beautifully blued steel, but still quite light in weight, and rather streamlined in shape and in the grips, probably the last of the Sentinel line. Mine was a convertible model with a .22 Magnum cylinder included and an easy quick change crane feature. It was accurate, reliable, and excellently made. I will always regret getting poor thanks to Saint Reagan and having to sell it. If you see one and it is not worn out, examine it closely---it might be GREAT!

I'm not sure what this one weighs. I don't have a postal scale anymore (need to get another). But the alloy frame and plastic grips keep the weight down. It balances okay, but I am anxious to see how it feels with a 4" barrel.

Ruger makes the Single Ten a ten shot single action in 22LR 4.6" and 5.5" barrels, the Single Nine with a 6.5" barrel and nine rounds of 22 Magnum in Double Action they have The GP-100 with a 5.5" barrel or like mine a 4.2" barrel, ten shots, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet. Ruger also has two versions of the LCR in 22LR most would opt for the LCRx with it's longer barrel, grip, and the exposed hammer. I have the regular LCR in 22 LR, a smidge lighter, I have shot it, as has my wife. She likes it some, but would rather shoot a Glock.

The barrel is too short. It needs to be either a 4, 5 or 6" barrel for the .22 l.r. to reach a level of ballistic effectiveness. (If you don't believe me. go to Brass Fetcher Ballistics testing).

A lot depends on the design of the projectile. There is subsonic .22 rifmire ammo that expands quite readily - usually they are hollow points. Most of the gel tests I have seen of the standard LRN bullets is that they don't expand at any velocity unless they hit something hard.

I use the LRN for practice and plinking and so on, but I buy HP ammo for hunting and I look at the gel tests to see what speeds they are effective at and designed for.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top