JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Somehow putting LC9 and Light Load in the same sentence seems like an oxymoron to me, AND Wifey...the one with the LC9. Have you ever put a S&W model 66, or Model 10 with wad cutters in her hands? Just sayin'.....

Just because something is subsonic, does not imply the recoil impulse is smaller.

I'm guessing most 9mm is loaded fairly hot. You don't see reduced recoil ammo like you might find with .44 Mag.

I think Mikej has a good plan. That or find someone who can reload 9mm down for her. Also you can go farther in that direction if you get a lighter recoil spring, if such is available for that pistol.

Pricey, but the 80gr Ruger pressed copper/plastic defense rounds had minimal recoil compared with the 115gr FMJ's I've been using to practice. LC9S.

Got me curious, so I did a quick look on ammo seek, still pricey. BUT apparently some folks have had decent luck with 80gr TMJ being lower recoil. Still pricey, but no where nears that defensive round price.

Here is a link to one of the 2 companies selling it (no relationship to them, never used them nor heard of them).

USAC: 9MM LEAD-FREE 80gr RN/TMJ 500rds *Factory New -Bulk Pkg

Last Edited:
Yeah that's the one. I noticed significant lower recoil with them. I have not switched to them yet in my daily carry, but may.

Thanks for the video too. I didn't think you could shoot steel with them. Good to know, as most of my practice is on steel.

Edit: The guy who did the ammoquest series has nothing negative to say about the 9mm version of these. In fact, a great option if the concern for your rounds might be overpenetration.

&...OP sorry to get off topic on your quest for a low recoil 9mm round.

Last Edited:
I think the problem with the LC9 and recoil is the fact the LC9 is made for self defense, and therefore has the recoil springs to handle self defense rounds. If you were to, let's say, hand load lighter rounds down to 750fps it's doubtful they would cycle the slide. I don't know, but I doubt they make a lighter recoil spring for it. Can't remember, and not going to dig Wifey's out of the safe now and look, but are the recoil springs in the LC9 captive? If so that would make it even tougher to find reduced weight springs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top