JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My daughter loves shooting, but is intimidated by my .45.

I have a 1911 compact & want to load some light loads to make shooting the .45 "FUN" for Her.
I ordered some 185gr. bullets & I have some "Unique" powder. I'm wondering what is the least amount of powder I can use, and still run the action.

I know what ever info I get here, I'm still going to have to play around with the load to get it to function reliably in my pistol. I'm just wanting to get some "starting" info from anyone who has done this already.

Thanks!!

My daughter loves shooting, but is intimidated by my .45.

I have a 1911 compact & want to load some light loads to make shooting the .45 "FUN" for Her.
I ordered some 185gr. bullets & I have some "Unique" powder. I'm wondering what is the least amount of powder I can use, and still run the action.

I know what ever info I get here, I'm still going to have to play around with the load to get it to function reliably in my pistol. I'm just wanting to get some "starting" info from anyone who has done this already.

Thanks!!

Unique & cast lead go very well together...

Alliant has online data for 200gr cast SWC & Unique... which is a really nice plinking round.

Lyman Cast book and some of the others may have data for 185gr (assuming cast). Otherwise, 185gr jacketed... most any reloading manual will have data - paper & online.

The factory std. recoil spring in a Colt 1911 is 16#, but you can get them all the way down to 7# for a conventional or 5# for a variable-power spring:

<broken link removed>

Pair up one of those babies with your x-lite handloads and you can make it shoot like a .22!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top