JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or vortex to Leupold.
Not at all, their budget lines are similar. When you get to the higher ends is when their no longer similar. My vx-hog had a bit of distortion around the edge, the vortex I looked at did too (though was a bit cheaper). My primary arms scopes did not, nor does my Sig Bravo3.

Your last post was removed, because when you joined you accepted forum rules to be excellent to eachother and calling eachother out runs diametrically opposed to rule #1.

Be excellent to each other
Though this may sound a little 'out there', we couldn't phrase it better than our sixteenth president, Abraham Lincoln (captured on VHS circa 1989).

Websters defines excellent as "unusually good" or "much better than average". Our goal of welcoming all gun owners means you're likely to find a diverse group here. Going above and beyond when interacting with others you may disagree with is not easy, but it is a condition of your membership. You don't have to be warm and cuddly, but you do have to be courteous and respectful. When things get heated, simply avoid using the word you.

How you treat others here is a direct reflection on all gun owners, and believe us, people are watching. Opting for the high road is always the best choice, and arguing on the internet is pointless. Since we don't have time to babysit, we don't care who started it; most heated discussions result in both parties receiving a reminder. Continued friction between members is best dealt with via the ignore button.

If you're that hard on Vortex then I'm like a lamb going to slaughter w/ my Nikon Pro Staff. ;)
From my limited experience with them their glass isn't that bad. I shot a .280 Ackley with a Black X1000 on it and it was dead on out to 700 yards. Didn't shoot past 700 so I don't know what it was like out farther but I had nothing bad to say about it after that.

From my limited experience with them their glass isn't that bad. I shot a .280 Ackley with a Black X1000 on it and it was dead on out to 700 yards. Didn't shoot past 700 so I don't know what it was like out farther but I had nothing bad to say about it after that.
Picked it up for $70 on the classifieds here, appreciate the review.

I'll help get back on track. After procrastinating and looking at what was available I decided to stick with Leupold. I've read mostly very positive reviews on the "new" RX 2800 so for $300 I'm going to give it a try. It should ship out this week.

Have purchased, owned and used Leupold scopes extensively for over 50 years. Currently in possession: 30-40 of them (If you count, you have a problem.) NEVER have I had to return one that was defective or failed. Electronics are a different story (understandably), and though I have not had to return my rangefinders, Leupold makes the differentiation clear in print.

I cannot speak to the quality of Vortex as compared to Leupold, as I lack experience with Vortex. I have been greatly impressed with their successful entry to the market, and their warranty is quite obviously built with guidance from that of Leupold.

There is a partner here (but not a person) than can quickly help those like me with little experience with Vortex make a preliminary evaluation before a purchase involving a choice between Leupold and Vortex. That partner is the Scope and Optic Classified section of Northwest Firearms.

A cursory perusal of titles there will indicate overwhelmingly who wants to get rid of what brand.

Buy all the vortex you want, still won't have the lens clarity of leupold. Op had rangefinder for 10 years or so and is complaining about leupold not warranting electronic devices. I would be so happy with a 60 percent off coupon and buy the new 1600 or 2800 model with better features than your old 1000. That's a real deal.

On a side note, leatherman has a 25 year warranty on tools....not lifetime and there's no electronics involved.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews