JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an probably 10yr old Leupold RX 1000i TBR rangefinder that I just replaced the battery on and it failed to "restart". I contacted Leupold and they gave me some ideas to try to troubleshoot at home....no joy. I bought the thing new and back then it was "state of the art". I've always been a big Leupold fan for many reasons but I'm slightly disappointed to learn that the warranty on the rangefinder has "expired". They have offered me 60% off (plus Washington sales tax......lol) a new rangefinder. Anyone else here had that offer? Did you take it or find a rangefinder with a better warranty?

Your going to find it pretty rare to get a warranty of longer than a year for most things electronic (consumer grade devices). The exceptions are on very pricey things. I don't know what to tell you about the offer but it seems like a good one to me?!?!

Your going to find it pretty rare to get a warranty of longer than a year for most things electronic (consumer grade devices). The exceptions are on very pricey things. I don't know what to tell you about the offer but it seems like a good one to me?!?!

Vortex warranty:

Our VIP warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.

VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, and monoculars.

Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
Fully transferable
No warranty card to fill out
No receipt needed to hang on to

If the fine print does not exclude the electronics in the rangefinder I stand corrected!

fine print:

"The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product."

there is no more fine print. That's their warranty. Its why I buy their stuff

Last Edited:
Vortex warranty:

Our VIP warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.

VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, and monoculars.

Fully transferable
I have always been impressed by their warranty and customer service. Lots of photos of binoculars and scopes that have been burnt, dropped, etc. that have been replaced. They are very confident about their product and it shows.

Vortex will change their warranty policy on things with electronics guaranteed. Electronics fail period. It's not a sustainable business model to replace (not repair) products for free, especially since they import their products (yes, I know the AMG is not imported but it like 2 skus they sell??).

I would take the 60% off the Leupold personally.

Vortex warranty:

Fully transferable
How is vortex quality though?
They do have attractive pricing.

What is the first thing you hear about a vortex? "They have a great warranty"!

Why? Because more often than not, you will use it.

Vortex has done a fantastic job with their marketing campaign the last few years, and it shows. But what has been the general sentiment recently is how poor their QA process is (because all their products are made overseas and vortex is an importer of 99% of the items they sale). Again, their warranty is fantastic because people have to use it.

The old adage is still very true. You get what you pay for. That's why I buy leupolds.

Off topic, I met a granddaughter of Leupold several years ago vacationing at ocean shores. I had to clarify verbatim when I was introduced, 'the Leupold, the scope maker?' That one, she wasn't, nor her husband we're 'into' guns.

Talk about a genetic lottery being completely wasted. Back on topic now.

I would get a SIG. Hard to compete with performance and features. The new BDX line has an on board Applied Ballistics calculator. Provides solutions out to 800 yards. The OLED display models have an auto brightness feature. Never have to adjust the reticle brightness.

I would get a SIG. Hard to compete with performance and features. The new BDX line has an on board Applied Ballistics calculator. Provides solutions out to 800 yards. The OLED display models have an auto brightness feature. Never have to adjust the reticle brightness.
I thought the BDX system was illegal to use for hunting in Oregon?

I had a Viper PST on a 50 BMG rifle that did fine. It was mounted with some huge badger ordnance rings that were hand fit to the scope though. Not that I put a 1000 rounds through that rifle but it still held up well.

What is the first thing you hear about a vortex? "They have a great warranty"!
Why? Because more often than not, you will use it.

Some of that manufacturing is in Japan which I'm totally ok with. I wonder what their rate of return is. Because if the return was so high they could not afford to keep replacing them. Its not like GE appliances (now made and owned in china) offer an unlimited warranty and all their stuff sucks now.

Oh, and no one in the US makes the glass. Leupold gets theirs from Asia as well

Vortex warranty:

Fully transferable
This is exactly my experience with them. Love this company!!! I returned one broken scope that I bought used and got a free replacement. I returned that scope because I simply didn't like it. They offered me an upgrade from a $300 scope to a $600 scope for $150.

I thought the BDX system was illegal to use for hunting in Oregon?
You can't use the scope where it is actively talking to the rangefinder. If all you can use the rangefinder still without the scope. Works with almost any scope on the market. You can also use just the scope and create a ballistic reticle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top