JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How has your experience been with the Deltapoint Micro?

• Fantastic!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Pretty good

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • It was ok

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Not ideal

• Horrible!

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey friends, just wanted to open up a general chatter for anybody that owns a Leupold Deltapoint Micro to share their experience with it.

If you don't own one yet, and you have a burning question about it, here's your chance to get any questions answered!

Here is my setup:
signal-2021-11-20-18-32-16-441.jpg

Gen 5 G19
SilencerCo threaded barrel
PMM comp
Surefire X300U
Leupold DPM

So far I have put about 150 rounds through it after zeroing. I've gotta say, as somebody that has a real hard time adjusting to red dots on pistols due to height over bore issues, this thing is shockingly easy to find the dot with. I strongly suspect it's because it basically cowitnesses with the stock height irons.

One complaint I have is that the extra bulk sticking into my belly when carrying AIWB is much more dramatic than I expected when tying shoes etc.

For my personal preference, thst is a lot of extra bulk hanging off the front of a carry gun. Even with my weak wrists I can manage the recoil of a 9mm without a compensator.

By using a slide melt and micro RDS I can get a single stack Glock slide equipped with a dot for the same volume as the Leupold DPP. That's why, even with a very generous military discount available from Leupold, I didn't buy one.

To each their own though, so I never want anyone to think my preferences are the one right choice.

For my personal preference, thst is a lot of extra bulk hanging off the front of a carry gun. Even with my weak wrists I can manage the recoil of a 9mm without a compensator.

By using a slide melt and micro RDS I can get a single stack Glock slide equipped with a dot for the same volume as the Leupold DPP. That's why, even with a very generous military discount available from Leupold, I didn't buy one.

To each their own though, so I never want anyone to think my preferences are the one right choice.
It is quite the chungus carry gun for sure lol. Once I had the X300U on there it was kind of a "Eh, why not?" situation for the comp, since the vast majority of the bulk/discomfort was caused by the light body anyway. For general plinking I don't notice the comp really, but with fast follow up shots I have noticed substantially faster sights back on target. Imo only add the comp if you already have a big light and you have free cash to burn.

Only question I'd have is, does it prevent you from taking the back plate off?

How are the red dot handgun sights working out in the elements? When you carry in the pants does the sight fog up in cold weather? Does lint hamper good sight picture? Does the leupold sight come easy to clean off the lens?

How are the red dot handgun sights working out in the elements? When you carry in the pants does the sight fog up in cold weather? Does lint hamper good sight picture? Does the leupold sight come easy to clean off the lens?
I actually found that the smaller lenses made it nearly impossible for the typical misty oregon rain to accumulate on the glass, so it stays really clean! Also since it is a fully enclosed emitter, unlike the RMR and Deltapoint Pro, there is no feasible way that a raindrop could get into the emitter and refract the dot all over.

The optic is nitrogen purged when assembled, so it never fogs. I tried playing with that a few ways and could not make it fog.

The lint has not really been noticeable, at least no different than any other RDS. It cleans up pretty easy if you just blow on it, or a microfiber towel seems to work fine.

its function over form for the DPM. As someone who is used to shooting iron sights, this is a seamless transition to a dot. Its where you expect it to be and super quick to acquire.

Is a 'real dot' better? If you are actually willing to put in the thousands of reps to ingrain the different sight picture/presentation then yes. But I would be willing to bet the overwhelming majority of people who transition to carrying a pistol with a dot aren't going to put in the level of effort.

Bottom line. It incredibly effective if you have zero experience with shooting a dot. If you are an experienced dot shooter, you will still be able to easily use this optic if you are looking for an functional/ultra compact/concealable optic.

Side Note. Regarding the rear plate on your glock. How often do you actually remove the rear plate? Once every 2k rounds if you are OCD? 5k?? Never (most likely)? If you use this for your carry gun, that translates to once a lifetime. it's a non issue. Worst case if forces you to go shoot your carry gun. you are welcome.

its function over form for the DPM. As someone who is used to shooting iron sights, this is a seamless transition to a dot. Its where you expect it to be and super quick to acquire.

Is a 'real dot' better? If you are actually willing to put in the thousands of reps to ingrain the different sight picture/presentation then yes. But I would be willing to bet the overwhelming majority of people who transition to carrying a pistol with a dot aren't going to put in the level of effort.

Bottom line. It incredibly effective if you have zero experience with shooting a dot. If you are an experienced dot shooter, you will still be able to easily use this optic if you are looking for an functional/ultra compact/concealable optic.

Side Note. Regarding the rear plate on your glock. How often do you actually remove the rear plate? Once every 2k rounds if you are OCD? 5k?? Never (most likely)? If you use this for your carry gun, that translates to once a lifetime. it's a non issue. Worst case if forces you to go shoot your carry gun. you are welcome.
Absolutely! I found that, as someone who has shot thousands of rounds with irons only, the DPM was effortless to pick up and use effectively. Even now I struggle a little bit with the muscle memory of irons when I use a 'real' red dot on any other handgun. I absolutely see a ton of value in what Leupold was trying to do with this optic.

This is absolutely a market disruptor, and I'm really excited to see where it goes. Just spitballing, the cost of adding a 'real' red dot to a handgun that isn't optic ready is somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 or so ($400 optic, $200 milling job, $200 or so on back up irons), and what if you don't like it?! The DPM cuts that in half, and it's completely reversible. It certainly has a few shortcomings, but I think they are easy enough to fix with a couple of revisions.

If you had a direct line with a Leupold engineer, what do you think they could do better?
Personally I think they need to find a way to get that battery somewhere else, maybe on top or on the side? The rear bulk is just a lot for AIWB.
I also discovered that the battery cover is electroless nickel plated, which is fantastic for corrosion resistance... But terrible if you have a nickel allergy, like I do! I have spoken with some guys that know some guys... And apparently the new version of the battery cover will be anodized instead to resolve that issue.

Slide milling by Battlewerx is $100. Even without the 40% military discount a decent micro red dot can be found for $200. One option is to have the milling replace the rear dovetail so that no tall sights need to be bought.

In a civilian scenario the chances of needing to use the carry gun are slim, and the chances of the dot failing are also small. If both of those unlikely events occur at the same time then one can point shoot decently to a distance of 5 yards.

Does the Leupold sight do anything the Sig X-ray sights don't on the P365?

Slide milling by Battlewerx is $100. Even without the 40% military discount a decent micro red dot can be found for $200. One option is to have the milling replace the rear dovetail so that no tall sights need to be bought.

In a civilian scenario the chances of needing to use the carry gun are slim, and the chances of the dot failing are also small. If both of those unlikely events occur at the same time then one can point shoot decently to a distance of 5 yards.

Does the Leupold sight do anything the Sig X-ray sights don't on the P365?
I'm a little confused, did you mean the Romeo Zero RDS? I believe the xray sights are the back up irons?

For a P635 specifically, there is no advantage. The DPM is only available for Glock and M&P at the moment, but that could change. If said P365 is optics ready then yeah why not just use what was clearly designed for it. The big advantage I do see is the fully enclosed emitter with nitrogen purged internals, that is a nice feature that improves reliability and eliminates fog.

In general I have been very unimpressed by the build quality of Sig optics, but it clearly works for plenty of people.

I think the DPM fills a space where people want to try a red dot but don't want to fully commit just yet.

Yes, the x ray iron sights. When you look through the rear sight it gives you a single dot.

In my opinion, which is not of course the way everyone else should think, it is better to have a micro RDS which presents the dot higher than the iron sights. For people like me with long necks it is easier to bring the gun up to firing position and have the dot in front of my eyes. I do prefer the slide melt mounting technique so that the RDS isn't a big catch point during a draw. A happy medium from what I've seen.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top