JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Honorable Senators and Representatives,

I'm writing in opposition to HB2240, HB 2241 SB 6076 and SB 6077 the current iteration of anti-gun ownership legislation.

Senators and Representatives, I've attended numerous committee meetings, waiting at the doors at 5 a.m. – being first in line – only to watch as the committee chair loads the testimony order at whim, seemingly to accommodate testimony which only supported the desired outcome of the intended legislation.

I've watched the committee chair grant EXTRA time to those offering testimony in support of the proposed legislation and then trim or even eliminate the time allotted for citizens to testify in rebuttal.

I've watched legislators rudely chat and have side conversations while citizens testify, meanwhile the time keepers are SURE to allow citizens only their scant few moments to testify.

I've watched committee chairs allow EXTRA time to supporters of the gun regulation legislation who offer maudlin testimony about the deaths of loved ones caused by criminals. While those of us, many who have suffered the same devastating losses and tragedies, are left without the time to voice our concerns, opinions and defense of our RIGHTS.

Let's start with that last point: It is devastating, and tragic when even one life is lost to the actions of criminals or the mentally ill. But, sir, I too have suffered such loss at the hands of a CRIMINAL. And NEVER ONCE did I feel it a sufficient or effective response to call for the disarmament of the law abiding in response to the actions of criminals. (while I am loathe to name and offer testimony for the dead, who cannot speak for themselves and whose opinions are therefore unfathomable, should you require verification of my claim, I will provide that information, upon your request) The impassioned testimony for the victims of crime is important but reaction must be tempered with a logical response and not met with hand-wringing virtue signaling and overly reactive legislation.

Inhibiting the ability of the vulnerable, the weak and the law abiding to obtain and use firearms in their own defense makes them more vulnerable to the actions of criminals.

As to the gun regulation schemes that FLOOD the legislature each year: it is easily perceived that this is an intent to thwart the opponents of such measures by the sheer number of proposals to which the average citizen has not the means to oppose. Hard working citizens have not the time to attend all of the committee meetings, nor keep pace with all of the proposals. They haven't the means to match the funding of, often non-state resident, proponents who spend millions and effectively mute the citizenry.

These are grave matters. The proposals represent a dramatic, and dangerous over-reach of governmental authority which IS are infringements of Constitutional RIGHTS and speak to the very intent of the Second Amendment and the citizenry's RIGHT to protect OUR political sovereignty and authority. These have the same weight and address the same issues which impelled the founders to move against the political order of their time. Tread lightly, sir.

You have spoken an oath to defend the RIGHTS of your constituency even in the face of the ebb and flow of popular opinion and the tyranny of mob mentality, and to preserve those founding principles against irrational surges of emotions and passions. Now is the time to ACT in DEFENSE of these RIGHTS.

Obviously I've only scratched at all of the related issues and evidences of the harm these gun regulations and rights infringements will cause; from the statistical insignificance of the use of firearms in crimes, to the economic harm to people, private industry and even state revenues there is sufficient cause for you to stand in opposition to these measures and to the disarmament of law-abiding citizens - something which we will not abide.

Yours in liberty,
jukk0u

Last Edited:
Very well written letter. Thank you for your effort. The only thing I might suggest is, in addition to what you've already written, try addressing specific details of the bills with logical arguments as to why you oppose them (despite legislators' lotus effect-like logic-repellent characteristic).

Thank you for your input. This is one of many letters I have sent/will send. In many of my previous letters I have provided statistics and legal objections. In an attempt to keep this letter from being an encyclopedic volume, I addressed more procedural matters and included the appeal to their duty to defense of the constitution and our rights.

That said, if you (all) would provide your own evidences and remarks, I may include those arguments in future correspondence.

with regards,

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads