JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not a know-it-all BBQ snob. I'm the other end of the spectrum. I know very little.

And because of that, I did not know what to buy. I've had many BBQ's over the years. Each one lasts a few years, then I move on and buy another.

My latest, I've had 3 years now. I know the snobs will say yuck, but I have a cheap all-stainless gas grill. I have learned to control the heat by lighting only one burner at the opposite end from where my meat is, and above that burner I have a couple containers that hold wood pellets. They get to smoking pretty easy, so I basically have an oven with smoke. It works for me, and I'm able to keep my cooking mess outside. I use it daily, often as early as breakfast.
That's essentially what a pellet smoker/grill is.
Oven with smoke.

Love my green mountain grill.

20190428_191350.jpg

Here's the deal. I would like to try a pellet grill. I use my grill a lot, and it is always out in the weather. 26 ga mild steel sheet metal does not last very long in the elements, so a $700 grill that will be rusted out in a couple years is an expensive experiment.

I've had my kamado now for about 9 years and it's followed me all the way from Texas where I first bought it. The metal logo fell off since then due to the extreme temps I sometimes use and it's not as nice looking as when I first bought it, but it's easily going to last me another decade at least.

Here's the deal. I would like to try a pellet grill. I use my grill a lot, and it is always out in the weather. 26 ga mild steel sheet metal does not last very long in the elements, so a $700 grill that will be rusted out in a couple years is an expensive experiment.
Get the Pit Boss form Walmart.
Why ?
1) Lower cost than the others
2) Joe Traeger himself has joined the PB team
3) Keep it under cover

Get the Pit Boss form Walmart.

3) Keep it under cover

I get all that, and that's what I'd like to have. But if my 200-pound BBQ is under cover, and I've got to wheel it down a ramp to get it out of the shed, it wont get used. My stainless BBQ is trouble free and there is very little in it to rust.

My altitude: What works for you is fine by me.

I just use a big ole Weber kettle, a bit of charcoal that I let turn gray after it's lit, (about an hour) then gently put some Pecan or Oak wood on top, let the smoke begin and once the smoke is heavy, lay down the meat on the grill, whatever it may be, is (in 2 hours or so) rendered deeeee-licious.

Nuttin fancy, just good.

My altitude: What works for you is fine by me.

I just use a big ole Weber kettle, a bit of charcoal that I let turn gray after it's lit, (about an hour) then gently put some Pecan or Oak wood on top, let the smoke begin and once the smoke is heavy, lay down the meat on the grill, whatever it may be, is (in 2 hours or so) rendered deeeee-licious.

Nuttin fancy, just good.

And that is the heart of the matter.

Cheers!

At my age I use a Weber gas grill. I'm not going to chance something that takes 12 hours to cook.
At least go to Shelby's in Washougal once in a while for some authentic brisket.
You don't want to die without enjoying some Low 'n Slow cookery.

Goldie's is a NO for brisket as well as Daddy D's at the Shell station.
Both giant NO's on their brisket.

;)

I was in the market for a new grill last year and I wanted to try my hand at smoking but didn't want to walk away from gas altogether. Didn't want to end up with two grills or more like my friend with 5! My ideal was a multi task grill combo unit and after a long search, I settled on this: 099143020297.jpg
It has an offset firebox for smoking and a gas grill for quick cooking, not to mention the side burner that nobody uses. You could also put coals in the middle section and grill there as well, but for me, only smokey goodness goes on in there. I keep my cooking over coals (and ash) in the firebox.

Couldn't be happier with it. Have done a couple of pork shoulder/butts and tons of ribs. It manages heat pretty well and is heavy as crap. My stout buddy and I struggled to lift it. It's under a covered area and I use it year round. The gas rarely gets used and I have a cache of charcoal and woodchips now.
It's a great hobby :):)

Last Edited:
My oh my, what an artful cooking delight.

Does the cost exceed $1000.00 U.S.?

My propane grill alone does, but well worth it.

It's probably the most used cooking item we have.

But, the photo of this cooking beauty makes me say, I want one....

I paid $429.00 for it at Lowe's last year around Father's Day and a month later they put it on sale for $60 less, so I got that refunded to me.
Looks like they are listed at $469.00 now, so yes, less than $1K.

I've got the answer. I know this may sound kinda white trash, I move my expensive smoker to our garage in the winter to smoke. Smell doesn't stay to long. Works great!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top