JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bought a Lil Tex Traeger used maybe 3 years ago no idea how old it was when we bought it. BUT it might be old enough to have been made in Mt Angel like 4 miles from my house. I don't take very good care of it. I have cleaned it out maybe 3 times in that time. I use it a min of once a week.We do everything with Apple Pellets.

So far in 3 years I think I have over cooked a London Broil and two steaks. pretty much everything else from Chicken thighs to Briskets and even 14lb Turkeys have come out amazing. I have no experience with any other brand of Pellet grill. But if they are some how better then my Traeger which sits at the open edge of my carport year round. And has no peeling paint and no rust and never fails to fire right up. and as to holding real high temp well papa don't be heat treating knifes in his traeger so the hottest I ever run mine is like 350 degrees. Heck I only want the meat to hit maybe 180 for a bird steak is done at 150-160.

YMMV

Bought a Lil Tex Traeger used maybe 3 years ago no idea how old it was when we bought it. BUT it might be old enough to have been made in Mt Angel like 4 miles from my house. I don't take very good care of it. I have cleaned it out maybe 3 times in that time. I use it a min of once a week.We do everything with Apple Pellets.

So far in 3 years I think I have over cooked a London Broil and two steaks. pretty much everything else from Chicken thighs to Briskets and even 14lb Turkeys have come out amazing. I have no experience with any other brand of Pellet grill. But if they are some how better then my Traeger which sits at the open edge of my carport year round. And has no peeling paint and no rust and never fails to fire right up. and as to holding real high temp well papa don't be heat treating knifes in his traeger so the hottest I ever run mine is like 350 degrees. Heck I only want the meat to hit maybe 180 for a bird steak is done at 150-160.

YMMV
Yep, still made in Oregon!!!!

Just got a pellet grill myself. Well ordered it,
Havent got it yet. Did a ton of research and landed on camp chef woodwind sg with the sear box. From all comparisons I've seen to traeger, camp chef wins. The sear box seems to labeled a game changer by all who use it. I've never really done a lot of bbq'n myself but figure it's a good time to start. I had serious reservations about spending that much on a grill but my wife basically forced me to buy it. I look forward to trying it out though.

Last Edited:
Im old school wood/ wood char with a custom built smoker/BBQ that I welded up me self! It uses a seporate cold smoking box and blower, and the bottom firebox can be temp and burn regulated on the fly! It can handle any thing I want to cook, from a Full pig on a electric spit, low amd slow, to highspeed burgers and chicken for 50 guests!
For most generic firecooking, I use my Presision Flame BBQ, for a no fuss quick and dirty grillin!:)

Just did my first pork butt tonight and it turned out great. Smoked on a new to me electric brinkman with some hickory chips and a brine in the water bowl.

Moist, Tender, and Tasty!

22F0D3EA-0D9D-4136-AAF2-628D64D5470A.jpeg ECD90F50-A0DB-4A45-B6F4-38C68D7CF239.jpeg

Im old school wood/ wood char with a custom built smoker/BBQ that I welded up me self! It uses a seporate cold smoking box and blower, and the bottom firebox can be temp and burn regulated on the fly! It can handle any thing I want to cook, from a Full pig on a electric spit, low amd slow, to highspeed burgers and chicken for 50 guests!
For most generic firecooking, I use my Presision Flame BBQ, for a no fuss quick and dirty grillin!:)

I want to come to your house for a BBQ! I would love to see pics of your setup.

Flanken Cut Ribs Northwest Style

These are Flanken cut ribs from the beef short rib section.
I selected them for their wide "meat band"...I like 1-3/4" wide (not including bone) or better. I've been getting some nice product from Safeway and QFC, but you have to ask for "the good stuff."
They are cut about 1/4" thick (or thinner)....I don't like them any thicker than 1/4".
1-1/2 pounds per guest is a good average estimate.

These make great camp or picnic food because they cook fast.
Maybe 3-4 minutes per side depending on grill and doneness preference.
We will often pair corn on the cob and these flanken ribs in camp.
It is a guaranteed winner.

Here they are just placed on the grill.
xb9vdz.jpg

Here we go...

14sfexx.jpg

The marinade...
For this I wanted something not sweet and not tangy.....something different.
After months of experimentation I settled on a particular batch.
A nice medley with no one component speaking out of turn, but can easily be tweaked to make it your own.

Joe's Beef Marinade for Flanken Style Ribs

2 cups V8 Juice (or generic vegetable juice)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup Saffola oil
1/2 cup Heinz Chili Sauce
1/2 cup apple juice
1 TBSP chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1 TBSP dark brown sugar
2 TBSP soy sauce
2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 TBSP plain yellow mustard
1 TBSP honey
1 tsp molasses

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan
Bring to low boil over Medium-High heat
Reduce to simmer for 15 minutes
Stir (whisk) frequently
Let cool, then pour into glass bottles
Keep refrigerated

Yield = 4 cups

Marinate ribs for 12-24 hours (or more) in glass container (I use a Zip Loc bag when camping), refrigerated
Grill over direct heat

ETA:
For those that live in the Portland area.....
The secret, decades-old recipe code has been broken !
You know what I'm talkin' about.

Last Edited:
I am not a know-it-all BBQ snob. I'm the other end of the spectrum. I know very little.

And because of that, I did not know what to buy. I've had many BBQ's over the years. Each one lasts a few years, then I move on and buy another.

My latest, I've had 3 years now. I know the snobs will say yuck, but I have a cheap all-stainless gas grill. I have learned to control the heat by lighting only one burner at the opposite end from where my meat is, and above that burner I have a couple containers that hold wood pellets. They get to smoking pretty easy, so I basically have an oven with smoke. It works for me, and I'm able to keep my cooking mess outside. I use it daily, often as early as breakfast.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads