JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the market for a new axe or hatchet, maybe both. Ideally, I'd like something that will last a lifetime... my last one did not survive.

Share some pics and stories about what you run in the woods.

Or maybe I just need an assault axe...
6fae871287a130ff48dd189f23ad44f928a6274er1-700-776v2_uhq.jpg

-Robert

I found a Collins Boy Scout Axe (actually a hatchet) at a garage sale. It was pretty beat up. I fixed it up and gave it to my son, who made Eagle Scout, but had a modern hatchet with a carbon fiber handle. It made a good Christmas present!

Scout Ax 2.comp.jpg
Boy Scout Axe 3.comp.JPG Boy Scout Axe 1.comp.JPG

If you are looking for brand new, your best options for a quality tool are Council Tool (I like their boys axe, nice do all size you can swing all day), Hults Bruk, Husqvarna (made by Hults Bruk or one of the other Swedish manufacturer's or Gransfors Bruk. You will pay a premium for the Swedish axes but they are one of the better axes available today.

Your other option is to locate an older axe in either good shape or in need of a new handle. You are looking for something pre 1950/60's from Plumb, Collins, Kelly, etc.... There were a lot of good, old, manufacturers. Unfortunately axe collecting and restoration have taken off the last 10 years and prices on classic axes has skyrocketed. You can still find a good deal at a swap meet or garage sale but they are getting harder and harder to come across.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews