JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep those JC Higgins are a nice rifle.
Like you I had one and foolishly traded it off.
On the plus side when you do see 'em for sale , they are affordable.
So maybe I'll be posting a "Hey check out my new to me JC Higgins..." LOL!
Andy

My only complaint with these actions is the safeties. They're not as easy to operate or as quiet as a Winchester model 70 style.
Looking back, when I was shopping for a new trigger for my model 50, I should have opted for the side switch style and replaced the rear safety with the blank spacer part.
I would have needed to remove some of the stock to make that work, so I decided to keep the stock in it's original condition.

Ed LaPour manufactures Winchester-style 3-position safeties | Ed LaPour GunSmithing

This fixes the issues with the flag safeties. I don't mind them in an iron sighted rifle, but for a scoped rifle, this safety accomplishes the same mechanical purpose of separating the cocking piece and the sear when on safe, but in a more convenient location.

The safety type and positive extraction mean more to me than CRF. I doubt I'll ever need to rack a round in my rifle while hanging upside down from a tree like a monkey, although I suppose it's nice to know you could...

Oh, this one should be mildly entertaining. Mauser 98 with a Rhineland Arms .45 acp conversion kit.

It is, in theory, shootable now. But I still need to make sure the feeding is okay (never perfect with these), secure the sights, and put a handguard, band, and bayonet lug on. After all, who doesn't need a bayonet lug on a .45acp Mauser 98?

And for all you purists out there, this action (VZ24) had no barrel when I got it, the sights were an eBay, the stock an already sportered blasphemy. So no original rifles were harmed in the making of this... thing...

IMG_1355.JPG

30-06. Bought it sporterized like this decades ago. I'm curious what those 4 digits represent, stamped crookedly on the receiver. Is that maybe a serial number put there by whomever re-barreled it?
m98 1.jpg
m98 2.jpg

Last Edited:
Been shooting a Mauser for the last 30 years. I have several times attempted to wean myself from my Mausers, but can't seem to get it done. I have 2 in the works now.
Not sure there is a cure for 'Mauseritis'.

Only one for me - an 'old' Santa Barbara made kit rifle from CVA I built many years ago in .243 Winchester. Always been a tackdriver and I recently put a new scope on it ab began shooting it again. I'll get a pic of it up.

I had a 1939 K98 that I shot on the way home when I lived in Montana. I shoot Lefty and I could run the straight bolt handle without removing the rifle from the shoulder.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top