JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep those JC Higgins are a nice rifle.
Like you I had one and foolishly traded it off.
On the plus side when you do see 'em for sale , they are affordable.
So maybe I'll be posting a "Hey check out my new to me JC Higgins..." LOL!
Andy

My only complaint with these actions is the safeties. They're not as easy to operate or as quiet as a Winchester model 70 style.
Looking back, when I was shopping for a new trigger for my model 50, I should have opted for the side switch style and replaced the rear safety with the blank spacer part.
I would have needed to remove some of the stock to make that work, so I decided to keep the stock in it's original condition.

Ed LaPour manufactures Winchester-style 3-position safeties | Ed LaPour GunSmithing

This fixes the issues with the flag safeties. I don't mind them in an iron sighted rifle, but for a scoped rifle, this safety accomplishes the same mechanical purpose of separating the cocking piece and the sear when on safe, but in a more convenient location.

The safety type and positive extraction mean more to me than CRF. I doubt I'll ever need to rack a round in my rifle while hanging upside down from a tree like a monkey, although I suppose it's nice to know you could...

Oh, this one should be mildly entertaining. Mauser 98 with a Rhineland Arms .45 acp conversion kit.

It is, in theory, shootable now. But I still need to make sure the feeding is okay (never perfect with these), secure the sights, and put a handguard, band, and bayonet lug on. After all, who doesn't need a bayonet lug on a .45acp Mauser 98?

And for all you purists out there, this action (VZ24) had no barrel when I got it, the sights were an eBay, the stock an already sportered blasphemy. So no original rifles were harmed in the making of this... thing...

IMG_1355.JPG

30-06. Bought it sporterized like this decades ago. I'm curious what those 4 digits represent, stamped crookedly on the receiver. Is that maybe a serial number put there by whomever re-barreled it?
m98 1.jpg
m98 2.jpg

Last Edited:
Been shooting a Mauser for the last 30 years. I have several times attempted to wean myself from my Mausers, but can't seem to get it done. I have 2 in the works now.
Not sure there is a cure for 'Mauseritis'.

Only one for me - an 'old' Santa Barbara made kit rifle from CVA I built many years ago in .243 Winchester. Always been a tackdriver and I recently put a new scope on it ab began shooting it again. I'll get a pic of it up.

I had a 1939 K98 that I shot on the way home when I lived in Montana. I shoot Lefty and I could run the straight bolt handle without removing the rifle from the shoulder.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top