JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alright guys, we have pre 64 model 70's, m1917's, and 1903's in some of our other threads in this sub forum. I love them all. Any of the mauser 98 derivatives really shine in my book. Yeah, I know I'm old school. I just like the old rifles. Who's with me on this? Let's see some of your mauser 98's. If you have a favorite interrams MKX that even counts. CZ 550's are derivatives of the old platform too and they are dang good rifles. Let's say anything that came from the original design can apply here. Here's a great old CZ550 American chambered in 9.3x62mm. It is a great rifle and shot lights out. I sold it to a buddy in Washington and he's keeping good care of it:

1118120922_zps51f9790f.jpg

When I was growing up, my dad only had one deer rifle. It was a VZ24 his uncle gave him. It was an untouched military rifle and is still surprisingly accurate. Our household was all about which was better, the good ol American 30-06 or the old 8x57 mauser. I still have a lot of respect for the 8mm mauser and have owned a few myself in the past. All built on mauser 98 actions. Excellent actions and excellent mild mannered cartridge. I gave my dad a Ruger 77 300 win mag, but he still likes the old mauser 98 better. I can't blame him...:p.. That 300 kicks like a mule...!!!:D

I am a great fan of the mauser 98 i have eight, 6 fn mausers and 2 military sporters. I also include 1903' in that group. There is not a modern rifle made today that is as good as the old FN mausers. The old JC Higgins are fantastic rifles.

That's cool. No pics required in this thread. Stories of hunts or any other cool details on rifles don't hurt. A 300 WM on a mauser 98 action would be cool. Thanks for sharing..

i have mausers in
6mm remington
270 winchester
25-06 remington
2 7x57 mauser
2 30-06
9.3×62

I do not nred anymore mausers but I will always find room for another. If some told me I had to go live by myself in the woods for an extended period of time a mauser would be one of my companions

i have mausers in
6mm remington
270 winchester
25-06 remington
2 7x57 mauser
2 30-06
9.3×62

I do not nred anymore mausers but I will always find room for another. If some told me I had to go live by myself in the woods for an extended period of time a mauser would be one of my companions

What, no 257 Roberts in that list??? :D

Yep. There are a few in my collection. Plan on syour sing most of them down the road soon. Going to switch to a more focused collection on my non-utilitarian rifles. But at last check, I had several vz24, several Germans, a few Chilean, a few Swede, the odd fn or two, and a few Turks. There's more in there I'm sure. A few are original, some are barreled actions, and several stripped actions. Never hurts to have parts and pieces laying around...

IMG_0505.JPG IMG_0506.JPG

Yep. There are a few in my collection. Plan on syour sing most of them down the road soon. Going to switch to a more focused collection on my non-utilitarian rifles. But at last check, I had several vz24, several Germans, a few Chilean, a few Swede, the odd fn or two, and a few Turks. There's more in there I'm sure. A few are original, some are barreled actions, and several stripped actions. Never hurts to have parts and pieces laying around...

View attachment 321475 View attachment 321476

Dang, I wish we were next door neighbors....:D

What's not to love about a Mauser? The first SERIOUS bolt action to take the then new bottle neck ammo, A bolt with a claw extractor that would extract something from the chamber, even in pieces, the harder and faster you run it, the better it works, AND almost every manufacture copied it at one time or another should tell you just how good they really are! I have several, From a Stock as issued 1939 Obendorf to a CG-63, to 3 Commercial Magnum's that I have built 1 in .300 win mag, One in .375 Weatherby mag. and one in .500 Jeffries. I also have a Husquvarna in .30/06, and a Rhinemettal commercial Mauser in .270 win! Then there are the 03 Springfields ( Improved Mauser) a nice Arisaka, two Winchester Mod 70's and a mod 54, and a Ruger M77 in .308. Naw, I don't like Mausers at all! It's a sickness, an addiction!

SGT, there are some guys out there that unwittingly despise the CRF. I don't know if it's because they grew up with the Remington 700 or other pushfeed, but I strongly prefer the good ol CRF over just about any other design. It's just well proven in the battle field and hunting fields... I was developing some loads for a buddies savage bolt action yesterday and after having some issues with the magazine box and the bolt not wanting to pic up the cartridge, got me to thinking this thread was well warranted..... Not that I hate pushfeed rifles. I like them all, just prefer the old CRF....;)

in my mind in almost 120 years there have not been a substantial improvement over the model 98 in a bolt action rifle. I will stick with this winner for a long time to come. These mausers have served me well.

Wow! Some beautiful custom built Mausers!:D:D I don't
know much about Mausers but they sure seem to be prevalent
action for custom builds. The M1903 was designed after the
Gewehr 98. Some stories say the US paid royalties to Mauser
some say they never got paid?:oops: I have a Yugo 8mm in pretty
decent as issue shape. Pillar bedding and heavy recoil lug. Locking
screws for the 2 main action screws. For an old military rifle
they sure are well built.;) I would love to find a nice Swedish
Mauser in 6.5X55. I have seen the Swedish Mausers in Vintage
Rifle matches do outstanding.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: With so many variants
it is a very collectable.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews