JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Years ago I had a cat that was a mouser... does that count? :D
th?&id=OIP.M82920dc66076edb97760c7b64b198dd6o0&w=226&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

J.C. Higgins Model 50. 30/06 with a Leupold VX-3.
High Standard chrome barrel, FN Mauser large ring action and a solid no frills walnut stock.

I ran an ad looking for one after reading about it on Chuck Hawks web site and was contacted by a guy who inherited it and he sold it to me for only $225.00.
As new in the box that it was shipped in and delivered by the post office to his late uncles residence in Tillamook. No back ground check back then.

Best deal ever.

That's an awesome story. Those JC Higgins 50's are nice rifles. Another one I like are the old Husky's. The lightweight models were lighter than even the pre 64 model 70 fwt's back in the day and every bit as functional and reliable...

The problem I'm having right now is that I want to whittle down my collection, but I'm such a hoarder that I cannot decide which rifles and actions to get rid of. Sometimes I hate choices...

A friend of mine who is a crack shot told me to sell any gun that I can't hit anything with and keep the ones that I can.

Last Edited:
I have re-barreled a crap load of 98 Mausers, they are the most easily re done military actions out there. I currently have 4 sitting here in various types and makes. The VZ24's are the best military models I have worked with as they were made prior to Germany and the Czechs being pushed into wartime stress and rush. Century Arms must have bought a boatload of these as they sold them by the case back in the 80's for 50-60$ each.. I still have one in military dress, its an ugly monster that waits for a barrel and stock. The 98 is my favorite action bar none.

8mm Mauser surplus.....It was purchased, pre 68GCA by my brother who was 16 at the time. I bought it from him when he enlisted in the Navy in 67. I haven't even shot it since 1970.

20161108_222839_resized.jpg my custom 98 in 30-06, new barrel, muzzle brake, boyds varmint thumbhole jacaranda stock, adjustable trigger, vortex 6-24x50 viper illuminated reticle scope with side focus 50yd to infinity, limb saver butt pad. Sighted in at 100 yds with hornady 165 grain sst.
1 in groups......

The 98 action is THE bolt action in my book.. first hi powered rifle I fired- my Dad's minty bring-back which I still have. Over the years Ive collected others as well- from Spanish to Swede and many in between. Hard to beat a Mauser in my book, and many countries/militaries apparently agreed. The only rifle approaching the Mauser's ubiquity is the AK-series of rifles.
And besides owning a few Mausers, I put away a little bit of the East-bloc Mauser ammo back when Yugos were flooding our streets with high powered military-style bolt actions, Turk, EGerman and Yugo stuff by the case... no need to try scrounging odd lots of under-powered US manufactured stuff like my Dad and I did for years..... And an old reloader's trick- pull the bullets and replace the bullet with same weight hunting type bullet- or dump the powder and reload with 4895 or similar and a hunting bullet. I think they glued summa them bullets into the cases tho... and truth to tell, not that I would ever :eek:violate any game laws or anything- but a 7.92X57 projectile will HAMMER any deer solidly hit- so my late brother-in-law used to tell me... I like the heavier -195+ grain bullets as they seem to be made for the rifling in my Mausers.

Last Edited:
i have a memtal hang up on crf rifles. They may not be better than push feeds but I sure think so. I have more faith in the action.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top