JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've only shot the .22lr version used for training, I think in the 30's? No nazi stamp on mine tho. I'm sure I will love shooting the larger calibers as well, as long as they are as easy to aim and smooth an action. Just need to take them out and find a distant enough range. It upsets my father that I prefer the Mauser over the Enfield, but I'm sure they both have practical applications.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder...

IMG_0448.JPG

Still a work in progress. 98 Mauser with rhineland arms .45acp conversion. Probably a few weeks from completion, minus the finishing.

Yes. They are a bit finicky. They prefer to have the bolt run hard. Once I get everything built and set, I will try to get it to the point where it will feed as reliably as possible. It's likely never more than a range toy, but a fun one.

Last Edited:
I was five years old in the summer of 1950 when I watched my dad sporterize an 8mm model 98. I was actually 16 before it dawned on me that not all deer rifles were based on model 98; a slow learner, I guess.

That Mauser was the only deer rifle Dad ever owned. He carried it to hunt whitetails in northern Wisconsin every season until the mid-90s when he finally got too frail to tromp in the snowy woods anymore. We had lots of venison on the table over the years, thanks to that rifle.

My kid brother inherited Dad's deer rifle and eventually sold it to a friend who never used it. Suffering serious seller's remorse, my brother bought it back again a couple years later. It now hangs in his workshop, part of a mini-memorial to our Dad.

I only have one left, a Czech VZ-24 made in 1939. I think this one spent many years in Romania before it was exported to the US. Many hard years. But it's still a pretty good shooter.

SANY2657.JPG

My only mauser is a BYF stamped, I assume, bring back. Nazi marked, no import markings with a duffel cut stock. Bore totally shot out. It's UGLY inside. But it's the history that counts. I sometimes like to think about it's story

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top