1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Lee Classic Turret

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 2beaucoup, Dec 20, 2013.

1. 2beaucoup

2beaucoup Kent, WA Member

Getting one for Christmas, do I have to use CCI primers with it? The Lee Reloaders manual kinda suggests this. Will be reloading 45 ACP and later 40 S&W. Thanks
  2. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

You should be able to use whatever primer you want. I have never seen a press that only takes a certain primer.
  3. Blues

Blues Washington State Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Lee recommends you use CCI or Winchester primers in their Progressive presses. Their justification is that these are "harder" primers and less likely to "go off" if they are caught in a part of the press. I have two Lee presses and have not had a problem with useing other primers in them. A turret press loads primers one at a time (their progressive loads a hundred at a time). You should have no problems with the turret press with any of the primer types.
  4. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Great press! I read a lot about it before purchasing. Theres a guy on ebay that sells a kick out mod, a clip that attaches to the pillar that turns and kicks the case out on the final rotation. Its about $15.
  5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I won't use CCI because they are indeed harder to ignite. Wolf and S & B are cheaper, more readily available and have a great rep
  6. Darkker

Darkker Mesa, Wa Active Member

Never read anything from Lee about "harder"...
    The reason is because of the priming compound itself. Federal for example, uses a "basic" type compound. Basic compounds are much less stable than the "normal" type compounds. A chain reaction of primers detonating can be a bad day.

CCI/Win primers cups are the same thickness as everyone else. Sensitivity is a function of several things, but as to the mil-spec; it's a function of anvil height above the priming pellet.
    Primers And Pressure
  7. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

CCI's are very good primers and perhaps the "hardest". ooh!
    The Lee thing, regarding that standing posit/stance, lore has it that Federal didn't "buck up" in some sort of capacity/reciprocity and so got "qualified" by Lee for whatever reason.