JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are leather holsters outdated...?
Sure...kinda like most people's TV , Phone , Computer , etc...
That said...

Just because something is old or outdated , don't mean that it still don't work for its intended purpose.
One of my "newest" guns is a 1981 dated Remington Wingmaster ...So far the clay birds , soda cans and stray spent shot shells don't notice any difference if they are hit with shot fired from a 38 year old shotgun or one made 5 minutes ago...:eek::D
Andy

For the most part, my plastics go in plastic/nylon holsters/cases, my metal and woods (wheels & levers) go in leather holsters/scabbards.

Something about Kydex holsters for my GP100 and Redhawk seems plain wrong. A good leather holster (hand molded for the model its intended for) stays plenty stiff w/ proper retention(w/ or w/out a thumb break).

Kydex is new to me, just the last couple of years... Otherwise, it's leather all the way baby... Like the feel, touch, smell and squeak of leather....

My sentiments exactly:s0155:

I own a few Kydex sheaths that came with some of the knives that I own, but my pistols go in leather. Although, I was thinking about trying out a kydex holster for my new VP9 just for kicks.

All my IWB and OWB holsters are leather. I have two pocket holsters that are not leather. One is for S & W 642 and the other for a Ruger LCP II. I once bought a Blackhawk holster and just didn't like the sound it made when drawing and reholstering. I sent it back for a refund. I guess I'm a Luddite!

It's funny...I love everything about a high quality leather holster. I truly respect the time, labor and craftsmanship it requires to make a truly good leather holster.

Buuuuut, I greatly prefer carrying in kydex.

Comparing kydex to leather is like comparing a polymer pistol to an all steel one.
I've only had one kydex holster and thought it sucked, but I have several leather holsters I love.
Most of my handguns are steel, but there's a couple of polymer handguns we use.

It's all up to the user's preference.

My favorite are Safariland 568 paddle. I have three, one for my 1911 and one each for my Tanfoglios. It is made of leatherlike material that doesn't absorb moisture and has a soft interior. They also can be mounted using a belt only. P5230005.JPG

I only have one kydex - a Fobus that I bought for my PPK/S. The gun rattles around in the holster and is almost impossible to overcome the retention. You would think that fitting a PPK/S wouldn't be difficult, but I will never buy a Fobus again. P5230009.JPG

I am really starting to like the paddle type holsters - easy in easy out. They are also very comfortable.

There used to a custom leather shop behind one of my favorite gun shops in San Jose. Digardi Leather. Something special about leather holsters made to your specs.
And kydex is useful indeed, but I really like my leather.

But I really did like my Mad Dog "Taylor Thunder" kydex holster.
And it appears I also like dropping names...:rolleyes:

Really appreciate the info, I'm definitely going to look into getting a few leather holsters to try, love the passion some have shared about the subject.

Both have their place. My holsters are about 75% leather and 15% Kydex and 10% "other/hybrid."

I mostly carry leather for comfort, fit, longevity. It costs more but lasts longer. Kydex is cheaper, thinner, and lighter. But I believe leather will out last as the Kydex can break. And I detest the noise.

I can see that a generation of gun owners that switch guns often and routinely "upgrade" guns needs new holsters and Kydex fits a niche.

One advantage of leather is that a "generic" leather will fit many similar platforms. Some of my leathers will fit 5 different guns of similar size. Kydex is molded to a gun so generally just 1 option.

I don't carry concealed or open routinely. But when you need to carry, a holster is essential to free your hands up. I have different kinds. I don't do fast draw, so don't have any of those. Mostly leather. For years, I favored the simple Hunter Holster in the numbered series. Have a couple of Bianchi black nylon with the little red tab, thought those were cool when they came out. Never thought I'd like the plastic paddle holsters. Now I have three, one each for 1911, Glock 19 & 23, and Smith & Wesson K series. I didn't know my crappy paddle holster material had a name beyond, "black plastic." Kydex is new to me but I guess I have some. Turns out I kinda like the paddle holster design.

My favorite, plain old G.I. flap holster for 1911. Hung on a web pistol belt. Easy to strap on and take off. I have a navy blue web belt so it doesn't look too army-like. The belt has a well-worn Boyt 1955 holster hanging from it. I've had that holster since the 1960's.

"Getting strapped," that's what the boys call it now when they are carrying.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top