JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I went into my LGS on my way home last night and overheard a conversation, the 20-something's proclamation the "Leather Holsters are outdated" just sounded off to me. However on my way way it got me to thinking and of the 20 or so holsters I have, only 2 are leather.

So as the statement seemed off to me, in practice it's what I live...am I an anomaly?

That's like hearing a hipster kid in 1980 saying that vinyl records are outdated. 30-40 years later vinyl records are back because they do things better than digital formats can do, like reproduce sound faithfully.

Kydex and other synthetic materials are much thinner than leather giving them an advantage in the concealment use case.

Leather protects the weapon better in outside waistband carry situations. Like user1234 said, it has a better hand feel.

If one material had every advantage, no other material would be used.

Sounds like you were dealing with a kid that has yet to understand most things in the world have a place and just cause he doesn't like them doesn't mean they aren't useful. Sorry he made you doubt your feelings tho.

So I went into my LGS on my way home last night and overheard a conversation, the 20-something's proclamation the "Leather Holsters are outdated" just sounded off to me. However on my way way it got me to thinking and of the 20 or so holsters I have, only 2 are leather.

So as the statement seemed off to me, in practice it's what I live...am I an anomaly?
I prefer leather in contact with the firearm, but Kydex for shape retention. Garrett Industries makes a leather lined Kydex that works pretty well.
Garrett Holsters

Ironically just got an email from Winthrop for their Memorial Day sale. 20% off all holsters. So I ordered one for my SP101 I've been needing to get a holster for.

I'm not assuming the worst, I'm curious what things you think are outdated. I figured BP would come up so I invoked the resident expert.

It's said @AndyinEverson blows through more powder in a weekend than The Rolling Stones used in the 1960s.
BP is outdated as far as a service gun goes but not outdated as far as hunting goes, or anything else outside of that. Even marksmanship training, nothing will force you to learn like having only one round at a time and having to go through the reload process with each one.

Outdated does not mean useless. Considering muzzleloaders get to go out earlier, there's no reason not to own one.

I carried in leather all my years, up-until 5 or so years ago. The Ruger Sp101 was the last (mid 80's) leather I bought, (until 5 years back), then I bought a Glock 19, and a Leather Brommeland.

That holster worked great, until I installed a Lasermax Guide-rod Laser.
The leather being so thin, was allowing the laser to get activated. That was when I got my first Kydex.

Not saying I like Kydex better. Kydex serves a purpose.
It's not meant to be comfortable when CC, even though they keep tempting me!

Here's the Brommy. It still looks new. :rolleyes:
20190523-140904.jpg
20190523-140936.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class