JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pure lead bends very easily. It is my understanding that stick-ons are generally way softer than WW's.
Why do you need pure lead, to just test out your "tester" that you don't have?

When I get home I will post the instructions You use some pure lead and some unknowen lead and put a ball bearing between them and squeeze them in a vise. The you measure and using some calculations to come up with the hardness

When I get home I will post the instructions You use some pure lead and some unknowen lead and put a ball bearing between them and squeeze them in a vise. The you measure and using some calculations to come up with the hardness

I'd not bother. It seems you know about nothing. good talk though!

This is what Ive been using for years! Made by Saeco, I have seen them on ebay also.

l_749012736_1.jpg

l_749012736_1.jpg

Also muzzle loader balls should be cast from pure soft lead.

His method of putting it between soft/pure lead and the unknown lead and squeezing it will in fact work.

Why Certaindeaf is giving the OP crap over this is beyond me.

I use to have a hardness tester from LBT, it worked well.

It is nice to know what Brinell # your alloy is, as different alloys are used for different purposes, and sometimes harder (or softer),ain't always better for a purpose.

I saw the ball bearing "tester" method being used in a couple different publications in the past, it seemed to work pretty well.

Then again, even with a tester, it isn't going to give you what percent of trace elements are in your unknown alloy, tin, antimony, etc.

If I needed 100% pure lead, I'd buy some from Alfa Aesar who sells pure elements and metals.

If I needed what would work as pure lead, I'd buy some plumbers lead, or some lead flashing, and make up an ingot, and go from there.

Or, perhaps here:

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/leadingotpure.htm

The method is described in the NRA book "Cast Bullets" by Col. E.H Harrison.
My edition is the 1982 printing.
( I THOUGHT I remembered it being in one of my books...)
IIRC, the SAECO tester needs a smaller diameter bullet, like a cast rifle bullet to fit in the tester, but I might be mistaken on that...
The LBT tester:

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/hardtester.shtml

It runs about $100, and will work with any flat nosed cast bullet less than 1" long.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top