JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In case you were wondering what has been going on with the LDS Bishops Storehouses, you will now know more than you did. It appears that the storehouses will be limiting the availability of food to choose from except in 12 stores.

Here's a link to the Preparedness Pro (Kellene Bishop) article: BREAKING NEWS: More Drastic Changes Coming to LDS Canneries Nationwide | Preparedness Pro

And here is a link to the new order form for the storehouses. Note that there are no longer any #10 cans you can order or canners that can be borrowed to can your own goods. http://providentliving.org/bc/conte...ge-center-order-form-usa-english.pdf?lang=eng

You can get plastic lids (whooohooo).

I would say the government has been pressuring the LDS church to conform to outrageous rules or other areas that the church just could not. This is another indication that we are going to have to get creative in preps and taking care of ourselves.

Sodbuster

Another hypothesis could be that the LDS church is "pulling back" to core or hidden locations for the benefit of their members. If things get ugly then Joe Public will overwhelm the LDS' regional facilities.

Peter

I will just venture a guess that the LDS will probably have a pretty good defense strategy worked out. You are not going to be as prepared as they are and not be able to retain and defend those assets.

And the facilities would be a give away in any case. Most LDS church members will already be prepared and unless you know who they are, you won't know where to find the preps.

This is a good example why a church should not be a 501(c)(3) corporation, beholden to the federal government. It can afford probably to give up the "tax-free" status.

Being a 501(c)(3) doesn't have anything to do with the issue before the storehouses. What you have is a government run amok, determining that there is no way you can keep the food canned by members and visitors safe. So they have added mounds of regulations that have forced the church to either play ball or take their ball home and not play.

Sounds more like the latter to me -- your opinion and mileage may vary. :-D

I will just venture a guess that the LDS will probably have a pretty good defense strategy worked out. You are not going to be as prepared as they are and not be able to retain and defend those assets.

I no longer attend the LDS church, but my experience in 30+ years of attendance is that the Mormons have no secrets. The Relief Society shares all information with a sideways glance and a whisper.

I am LDS. I don't think the change is that scary and has been heading that way for some time. Portland used to let you bring your own food in and can it. I believe I heard that they had a contamination and had to destroy a lot of stuff and incurred some clean up cost. So they stopped that practice and just let members can what they provided.

Members do not use those centers that much. They seem to use it less over time. I am pretty familiar with the Portland center and have run Ward (congregation) trips there. They do not happen in our Ward anymore.

Usually you go there for basics like sugar, wheat, etc. After you get those, most members I know tend to start ordering freeze dried items online. More variety, less rotation, and last longer. What you get at the center is kinda limited and is available for about the same price online from a variety of sources like Thrive, Mountain House, Emergency Essentials, Wise, Walmart, Honeyville Grain, etc. With the prevalence of so many sources, the church does not see the need to deal with some increasing regulation when people can get these items easily from other sources. Plus, I believe the home storage centers and places like Deseret Book Stores are still selling some of the basic stuff.

The one thing that WILL be missed is the check out canner. You could check out a canner, buy cans and can anything you want at home for about 4 days. THAT will be missed.

Here is an article about it.
LDS Church says 'misinformation' over canning changes | ksl.com

I would attach the official pdf document from the church discussing the change, but the pdf file is just a bit larger than the limit this site puts on attachments.

You can purchase items offered at the centers online at: <broken link removed>. For current price lists and additional information, visit: Provident Living

At the end of the day, the church tends to stop offering a service if it can easily be had thru private channels. It's core function is to bring people to Christ thru the three missions of the church - perfect the saints, redeem the dead and proclaim the gospel. Less a scary change and more of a makes sense change now that there are so many preparedness resources.

I am LDS as well and I agree with Jimboshooter. My thoughts are since anyone could go down and can food and no one would have a food handlers card the government pushed in the changes or it would have to close down. This is just my 2 cents, not sure if it is right but it is still offering great deals to store food.

Agreed, Peter. But I have to be honest. I am NOT LDS, but surely enjoyed canning my own food and helping others can theirs. I am going to miss that except when I visit the Boise cannery. :)

Sodbuster

I'm also going to miss the mylar bags and O2 absorbers as well as inexpensive #10 cans you can fill up yourself with your own or a borrowed can sealer/seamer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top