JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many firings are you getting out of your brass? Been using once fired LC range pickups(free) for 556/308 but getting tired of prepping them only to toss them after 5-6 firings(loose pockets/cracks). Also besides lapua brass, what other brands would you recommend? Was looking at peterson, alpha or norma or???

Nothing else comes close to Lapua. I know from experience. It only hurts the first time you buy it and then it's like the Eveready Bunny...it just keeps going and going and going. It will far outlast anything else you try.

I've had great use out of PPU brass which seems to be on par with Nosler and Lapua and is a fair bit cheaper. An before someone gets pissy, I've had PPU brass last longer and need less rework than Lapua and Nosler brass.

Last Edited:
Lapua is a waste for semi autos that beat the brass up. Go to non-crimped brass to eliminate the extra step in brass prep. I got tired of removing crimps and now run some once fired 223 RP brass bought from a member here that is from my club. Primer seating is way smoother and accuracy is just as good as LC.

I'm not sure I'd use Lapua brass in an AR (5.56). That's how I read your post anyway.

Bolt action guns? All day long! 5-6 firings out of an AR is pretty good I'd think.

Do you own an annealing machine?

Nothing else comes close to Lapua. I know from experience. It only hurts the first time you buy it and then it's like the Eveready Bunny...it just keeps going and going and going. It will far outlast anything else you try.
Norma and Peterson are supposed to be pretty good too.

I'm not sure I'd use Lapua brass in an AR (5.56). That's how I read your post anyway.

Bolt action guns? All day long! 5-6 firings out of an AR is pretty good I'd think.

Do you own an annealing machine?
Forgot to mention, bolt action only. No annealing machine but I use a drill, socket and a propane torch lolol.

Forgot to mention, bolt action only. No annealing machine but I use a drill, socket and a propane torch lolol.
Bolt Gun . The Brass will last . It's the Primer Pockets that get worn out . Brass will last a long as it's annealed properly . So it all depends on how hot you running the Load . The quality of the Brass with Lapua is really consistent .
I have used the same Winchester Brass more than 5 K + rounds on .308 barrel just running 175's @ 2600 fps . they are still good to this day, and loaded up for trigger time .
But I have only got ( 1 ) firing with having Loose pockets, on any 308 Brass pushing 155's in 3000+ fps Vel. . But if keep the Vel. down on the 155's to 2900 fps, I was getting 3 firings till pockets blown .

Supposedly some primers are slightly larger than others, Ginex small rifle primers are rumored to be this way. Using them on brass where pockets become loose might allow you to get some extra firings out of them. There is a method involving a ball bearing and a punch that may help tighten the primer pockets.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top