JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I loaded a 20-round batch for my new Christensen .338 Lapua (sub - MOA guaranteed). The weekend field test results were terrible!

I had a box of Berger 300gr factory loads as a control group, and they shot excellent.

I loaded some New Nosler brass with 300gr NCC's using 100gr US869 using CCI LRM's.
The various load specs I found in my reloading manual as well as online called for a C.O.L. with a range of variation.
Nosler states COL to be 3.650. Hodgdon says COL 3.600
I loaded a COL of 3.650. not having a modified case to measure my max COL.

I did not chrono my shots (forgot to bring it). Nosler said my MV would be 2528fps (minimum load).

So Yesterday I ordered a Hornady Modified case, for my case gauge so I can find my max C.O.L.
I use around a .015 jump in my other rifles between loaded C.O.L. and lands engagement. They all shoot sub-MOA.

Last Edited:
Best advice is buy a box of Berger 300gr bullets and then experiment with ladders of different powders until you find the golden ticket. Nothing wrong with your jump.

I haven't reloaded for this cartridge. But it sounds like you loaded new brass at an arbitrary set of specs you found in reference guides. If that's right, you've just begun the first step and I wouldn't judge results until you're further along. I'd start by ignoring results on paper until you had fire-formed brass to work with, then begin a load development process.

I haven't reloaded for this cartridge. But it sounds like you loaded new brass at an arbitrary set of specs you found in reference guides. If that's right, you've just begun the first step and I wouldn't judge results until you're further along. I'd start by ignoring results on paper until you had fire-formed brass to work with, then begin a load development process.
I did start with a minimum load.

I know from experience that load development can take quite a while, per individual rifle. I took one rifle (Remy 700 heavy barrel .223) from 4 MOA to 1/2 MOA through load development, after floating the receiver.

I find it interesting that you mentioned fireformed brass. I start with new brass and do a full-length size for the first load, then after fireforming, I neck size only.
No one has ever mentioned to me that non fire formed brass can affect performance. But I can see the wisdom in what you said.

Last Edited:
I find that there's very little about final load accuracy that can be learned using new brass, least of all charge/velocity info as it will change substantially. The one thing I do think you can learn with new brass is something about the seating depth node, as it seems to remain even at different charges. You can also test the travel in a new scope while fire forming new brass, if you're working with a new scope. But other than that, just fire form all of those cases before you start paying much attention. Things will even change a bit between FF1 and FF2.

I find that there's very little about final load accuracy that can be learned using new brass, least of all charge/velocity info as it will change substantially. The one thing I do think you can learn with new brass is something about the seating depth node, as it seems to remain even at different charges. You can also test the travel in a new scope while fire forming new brass, if you're working with a new scope. But other than that, just fire form all of those cases before you start paying much attention. Things will even change a bit between FF1 and FF2.
Most Excellent!

Love your attention to detail!

Once fire your brass and get your barrel seasoned a bit do speed is stable.
Then pick a bullet and do a jump test.
I usually start at .020 off the lands.
Berger 300's aren't very picky.

Then step up your powder till you get an acceptable speed.

If your limited by mag length and can't get close to the lands just go to maximum usable mag length and work inward on the jump test.

I have 2 lapuas that won't shoot the 869. Rl33 and h1000 have been the best since retumbo has been harder to find than a sober clown for a child's birthday haha.
Yea, the 869 is not so great. So, you think Retumbo is better than H1000? All I shoot are 300grain projectiles. And the only powder I have is 8 pounds of 869 it has not been consistent. Also, I have since learned that I jump between .095 to .120. Still doing load development. This isn't a .308 with a .015 jump.

In my experience, Bergers tend to like a long jump (i.e. 0.050" or so).
869 would be like using H870 -- a bit slow for the Lapua, but all that should suffer is your MV.
I used H870, RL4000, RL25 and Retumbo. Couldn't find H1000 or RL33 anywhere. Retumbo shot the best in that rifle at ~94 grains under a Berger 300 OTM. I could never get my MV much above 2,800 because it would show strong pressure signs.
I also loaded Hornady 225gr SP as plinkers. Though I never tried to see how tight they shot, they were fun because whatever plate I aimed them at, they rang steel every time.
Sold the rifle, built a 338 Edge (the ballistic twin of the Lapua), and it wouldn't shoot Retumbo well. Traded all the Retumbo, now have a bunch of H1000, RL33 and IMR 7977, but haven't made time to work up loads.
I recently pulled the remaining Lapua rounds I had loaded, and have a 1/2 pound of Retumbo (pull down) that I'll never use. You're welcome to have it to try.

So far, with limited load development. I'm using 102gr of 869 and 300gr NCC's. I'm shooting about 1MOA @ 100yd.
I went out this weekend and set up 22-inch ar500 gongs @ ~600 yards.
Out of the 16 shots I took, I rang steel 15 times.
The sound was fantastic! I bet it could be heard for miles!
I included a picture of the valley I shoot across & Gongs. You can tell it was windy, my elevation was consistent but windage was a problem. I did manage to put several rounds in the same hole.
I wish I could get my hands on some Retumbo or H1000 and tighten up the groups.

20221110_131310[1].jpg 20221110_143002[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20221113_211208[1].jpg
    20221113_211208[1].jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 33
Last Edited:
In my experience, Bergers tend to like a long jump (i.e. 0.050" or so).
869 would be like using H870 -- a bit slow for the Lapua, but all that should suffer is your MV.
I used H870, RL4000, RL25 and Retumbo. Couldn't find H1000 or RL33 anywhere. Retumbo shot the best in that rifle at ~94 grains under a Berger 300 OTM. I could never get my MV much above 2,800 because it would show strong pressure signs.
I also loaded Hornady 225gr SP as plinkers. Though I never tried to see how tight they shot, they were fun because whatever plate I aimed them at, they rang steel every time.
Sold the rifle, built a 338 Edge (the ballistic twin of the Lapua), and it wouldn't shoot Retumbo well. Traded all the Retumbo, now have a bunch of H1000, RL33 and IMR 7977, but haven't made time to work up loads.
I recently pulled the remaining Lapua rounds I had loaded, and have a 1/2 pound of Retumbo (pull down) that I'll never use. You're welcome to have it to try.
I did try some factory Berger cartridges and they are jumping a hell of a lot more that .050.
I appreciate all your advice.

Yea, the 869 is not so great. So, you think Retumbo is better than H1000? All I shoot are 300grain projectiles. And the only powder I have is 8 pounds of 869 it has not been consistent. Also, I have since learned that I jump between .095 to .120. Still doing load development. This isn't a .308 with a .015 jump.
I accrual prefer the h1000 now that I'm using it. I hunt alaska, Oregon, Wisconsin and sometimes Idaho. I have noticed that my h1000 is a lot less affected by temp. I hunt in eastern Oregon where this year it was 90 degrees and hotter, then I'm on adak in Alaska and it's f-ing freezing. I love the consistency. I have 3 lapuas and none of them will shoot 869. My 375 enabelr loves the 869.

So far, with limited load development. I'm using 102gr of 869 and 300gr NCC's. I'm shooting about 1MOA @ 100yd.
I went out this weekend and set up 22-inch ar500 gongs @ ~600 yards.
Out of the 16 shots I took, I rang steel 15 times.
The sound was fantastic! I bet it could be heard for miles!
I included a picture of the valley I shoot across & Gongs. You can tell it was windy, my elevation was consistent but windage was a problem. I did manage to put several rounds in the same hole.
I wish I could get my hands on some Retumbo or H1000 and tighten up the groups.

View attachment 1311632 View attachment 1311634
If you want to do a day on the mountain and stretch it out to a mile, i have a place about 1 hour from you. We can get you a quick crash course. We could also cook up a couple rounds here at the house before we go.

Still have that 1/2 lb of Retumbo if you want it. It'll load ~30 cartridges....
I appreciate your offer and will get back to you later.

I was up at my property on the hood canal earlier today and landed about 25 salmon. I kept the four nicest ones and threw the rest back in. I'm still pumped!
Had to return to Portland on business but will be returning to Washington tomorrow. The fishing is off the charts good! I have to return for more!

I accrual prefer the h1000 now that I'm using it. I hunt alaska, Oregon, Wisconsin and sometimes Idaho. I have noticed that my h1000 is a lot less affected by temp. I hunt in eastern Oregon where this year it was 90 degrees and hotter, then I'm on adak in Alaska and it's f-ing freezing. I love the consistency. I have 3 lapuas and none of them will shoot 869. My 375 enabelr loves the 869.
I appreciate the advice; especially given you own three 333LM.

If you want to do a day on the mountain and stretch it out to a mile, i have a place about 1 hour from you. We can get you a quick crash course. We could also cook up a couple rounds here at the house before we go.
if I can tag along, I can bring RL33 and H1K for Xmark to load some rounds in advance. I hafta load up some Edge rounds first....

I'm up for that as soon as I finish catching all the salmon in Washington. o_O

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top