JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I am sure a lot of you have already heard, there was a fatal knife attack in Lake Oswego this week. The suspect is yet to be apprehended, and all they have is an artist sketch of the man for a lead. The man was outside the home of Lake Oswego residents, and seemingly at random, attacked and killed the man who lived there when he returned from a walk. The description is kind of weird, saying the man had a "head wrap". I am a LO resident, and as the man of the house I have always felt like it is my duty to protect my house and family(because it is). Random attacks without motive bring an entirely new security concern to me. While you always plan for the worst case scenario, and prepare accordingly, how can we prepare to defend ourselves from a man in the tree outside the house in broad day light with a machete, and not be completely paranoid. I long ago gave up on the notion that there were safe places that I need not carry my gun. After the recent attacks in Movie theaters, grocery stores, and a front-yard in broad day light, I am certain there is no safe place. As a Iraq and Afghan vet I have already found myself weary of crowds, strange things in the street, and constantly find myself evaluating people and things that seem out of place. I guess what I am getting at, is where do we drawn the line? Do I add more security, plan for the crazy machete wielding contingent? Or, do we all have to live with the fact that you simply can't plan for everything? I have 250lbs of fury alarms (dogs), security lights, a security system, and a well crafted and placed arsenal. All of that said, a machete wielding man 5 feet from me in the bushes by my front door would have caught me as unprepared as the next guy. Armed, but certainly on the defensive. Thoughts?

I look at from a probability point of view. In our area, and the US in general, attacks of this nature are statistically low. So...would I currently plan my day as if I was living in a Beruit, Mogadishu or Compton? No. The situational awareness you display and the home defenses you describe seem quite reasonable for our area at this point in time. If things ever begin to get worse, i.e. weekly or daily attacks of this nature in our local area, I would certainly plan on additional security measures.

Keith

As a statistical probability of it happening to you it is in the millions to one. Prepare for more probable scenarios. Unless you are concerned with other similar scenarios that meet the same probability. You could carry an insulated 10' ground rod around with you in case lighting strikes. You could carry a defibrillator with you in case of a heart attack. The odds of that are 1000x higher. That sort of thing. You simply can't prepare for everything, and you shouldn't try.

I think you sound as prepared as anybody can be. Unless you move to the middle of nowhere and put proximity alarms around your property, I think you have to just assume you can't prepare for everything.

On a side note, I wonder if there is a proximity alarm system a guy could install that could alert him via a smart phone or something. Nothing crazy, just let him no if there is somebody on his property. Takes away the element of surprise that way.

I think you sound as prepared as anybody can be. Unless you move to the middle of nowhere and put proximity alarms around your property, I think you have to just assume you can't prepare for everything.

On a side note, I wonder if there is a proximity alarm system a guy could install that could alert him via a smart phone or something. Nothing crazy, just let him no if there is somebody on his property. Takes away the element of surprise that way.

Dakota Alert makes proximity alerts for roads, driveways that verbally reported back to base stations and their two-way MERS handheld radios. Best security purchase I every made because it serves a day to day, non-SHTF purpose -- I know when the UPS guy, guests, etc are coming about 45 seconds before the knock on the door. Even if I am 600' away. Verbally reports what sensor sees activity. "Alert zone 1, 2, 3, 4" - that sort of thing.

Dakota Alert MURS BS + HT KIT Long Range Driveway Alarm | eBay

If they made something that alerted you via smart phone app, that would be cool. I can't see everyone taking a receiver with them, and I would like it to inform me if I was farther than 600 feet from it.

Maybe down the road, the real story will emerge. Out of nowhere attacks like this are extremely rare in a community like Lake Oswego.
There must be a connection between the two men.

One reason why I wear my M&P at home and my wife keeps hers right by her side. Its not paranoia, but just being prepared for the unexpected, should it occur. I fully expect it not to occur, but like the saying goes, "I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need one and not have it."

When I read the story about the "head wrapped" assailant, carrying 2 knives, in a random attack/murder - something didn't seem right with this story. I would not be suprised to have more facts come to light, in the next week or two...........

Last Edited:
MrBlack, seems to me that you have done a nice job of securing your people and property. My only suggestion is that keeping your hand to hand combat skills brushed up could add to your piece of mind. Hope that you never need them though!

Take a martial arts class.

I'm sure as a vet you have some, but defensive training comes in handy. That way you don't rely solely on your firearm.

You are a weapon. Be prepared mentally to use whatever you have to and do what you have to do to protect your family.

I think I just sounded like a chest pounding fool, and I hope you don't read it that way.

Those are big words, and I'm far from being there myself other than already having that mentality.

Basically if someone came at me with a machete and there was no way to avoid it I would feed him that machete or die trying.

OK throw the scenarios out da door.

MAKE YOUR FRONT STOOP SAFE
Get rid of the shrubs and bushes around the door.Take down anything that blocks you view or looks like a good place to hide.
If there is hiding places because of the house design,fill them with shelves,take up the room with something.
Heck have the kids play some hide and seek in the front yard.If they hide next to the front door,remove what they hid by.
Put lights next to the house this time of year,so anyone hiding will throw a shadow.
This is old stuff I read years ago.Keep the entry way clear so there isn't a place for an attacker to hide.

Then with your great situational awareness ,you won't be at a disadvantage.

Dakota Alert makes proximity alerts for roads, driveways that verbally reported back to base stations and their two-way MERS handheld radios. Best security purchase I every made because it serves a day to day, non-SHTF purpose -- I know when the UPS guy, guests, etc are coming about 45 seconds before the knock on the door. Even if I am 600' away. Verbally reports what sensor sees activity. "Alert zone 1, 2, 3, 4" - that sort of thing.

Dakota Alert MURS BS + HT KIT Long Range Driveway Alarm | eBay

Burt

tell me more about it..how well does it hold up? how long have you had it? do you have it only on the drive way?

Has worked for a year and a half without flaw. I have two zones set up + the walky talkie so when I am down in my basement or far out in the back yard it lets me know also. Rarely, if ever, does it send false alarms. The base is loud enough to hear inside the house in the next room. Two zones for now, my long approach to the front of the house and the 'backyard' area.

The sensor is easy enough to cover up with some shrubbery so it isn't noticeable. Really one of those low tech solutions that really work in the here and now but will be very valuable in a SHTF situation. Since the sensor(s) runs (1+ year on AA batteries) and the walkie does the same, this thing will still be doing its job when the lights, mobile phones and internet go dead. Loud enough to wake you up so you can greet that 3am visitor the proper way.

Why wait for the sound of broken glass or the thud of your front door being kicked in? Be up, awake and ready to party. SHTF will be a dark cold world and "alert zone 1" may be my only friend. LOL.

another member here saw said assailant get off of a bus in Vancouver. He didn't know the guy was wanted at the time but did contact police when he saw it on the news a few hours later.

Motion sensors are a good option for being alerted before the threat - only problem I've found so far is the neighbor's barn cat and a few deer tend to set them off in the middle of the night. Early on I picked up a cheapo $15 one from harbor freight that now serves as a "door bell" as the house never had one - works great for that purpose but I'm thinking better equipment for the longer distance to the end of the 350 yard driveway, etc.

Another thing a friend did that surprised me was he put up a fountain / decorative artwork birdbath type thing that had one of those big chrome/mirrored balls on it. when I first saw it I was thinking it was a bit artsy for his style until I noticed that from the front door it gave a reflection of about 3/4 the front of his house. not quite a security cam but most wouldn't think of it as giving away their position either.

The shrubs and bushes near our front door are Flame Thorns :s0112:, we have Rottweilers, I teach knife fighting, and we always are armed. If your number is up, it's up

Blitz - give me your address there. I want to test your perimeter! :) Really, all you have to say is that you teach knife fighting. Geezus, I wish you were my neighbor. All I have around here are the most feminine purse carry, Prius-driving, pansies on the planet. The neighborhood had a yard party a few weeks ago and a group of them were taking about how bad guns are - who needs those things anymore, etc. All I can say on the matter is 'cannon fodder.' Blocks and blocks of easier targets than me to keep the thugs busy, at least for a while.

Take a martial arts class.

I'm sure as a vet you have some, but defensive training comes in handy. That way you don't rely solely on your firearm.

You are a weapon. Be prepared mentally to use whatever you have to and do what you have to do to protect your family.

I think I just sounded like a chest pounding fool, and I hope you don't read it that way.

Those are big words, and I'm far from being there myself other than already having that mentality.

Basically if someone came at me with a machete and there was no way to avoid it I would feed him that machete or die trying.

Most "martial arts" classes are a total waste of time for self defense, they are sport oriented. JKD is pure self defense, if you can find that or a serious Escrima/Kali/Arnis class, go for those for weapons training

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top