JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to make some modifications to my EDC carry knife (Benchmade Gaucho). I have the ideas and have figured out most of it, but need the assistance of a skilled milling machine operator to make this happen. Doesn't need to be a professional, but must have some serious skills.

Thanks

I spent 14 years making my living as a Custom Knifemaker I have made everything from 3 blade jack knives to Titanium frame Automatics and filet and hunting knives to Combat Knives.

Curious what your planning on doing to this factory knife.

Mark, Thanks for your response.

I want to replace the existing aluminum handle/scales with wood or bone. This would involve making some time of metal lining to support them. I was thinking of brass and making it look more like an old timer style knife. I'd also like to add two small accessory tools to the knife. In making the scales bigger, I want room on the back to add a bottle opening that is integrated into the scales, but that doesn't put pressure on them.

I actually have two Benchmade Gaucho's. I really enjoy the axis lock mechanism as it makes it very easy to flick the blade open and close.

Cost aside. To completely remake that knife would be a small nightmare since the frames are what holds all the geometry together. Would the lock even work without the frames? How would the accessory tools be included? Are you talking something that slips under a handle scale like a toothpick on a Swiss army knife or something that swings into place like a screw driver blade in a Leatherman? And the bottle opener maybe if you cut a notch into both scales from the open side (blade would most likely have to be open then to open a bottle) otherwise anything that pried against the side of the handles once you convert to a liner and some natural material would just end up prying it apart.

Good luck with your project nothing I would take on for less then 250-300 bucks. (course I don't do knife work any more so that was never an option. I was just curious what you were up to.

It can be done, as a side project with your own personal time. Here is one I made in a shop with some basic air tools.

I found a broken Christmas Tree Knife, which is an extremely High Grade German Stainless, and went to town. Seems every one is naming their creation so I called it: Bleeding Black, over 12 inch blade.
Not bad for my first attempt I figure. It freaky laser scary sharp and holds an edge extremely well.

Your only limited by internet resources and time. It very labor consumptive.

The first time I took it to the river and showed my buddies, I had orders for 2 more. I declined its something I did for me.

knife1.JPG

knife2.JPG

knife3.JPG

knife4.JPG

Mark, Yes, it may cost a fair bit to do this. I'll try to draw up a diagram and post in the next few days so it will be easier to understand what I want done. Would appreciate your opinion once I post that information.

I'll be interesting in seeing what you come up with. And in the mean time to put my credentials in perspective here are a few of the 2500+ Handmade knives I produced during my 14 years as a full time knifemaker (you have to make the blade from scratch to be considered a knifemaker) I was a Voting member of the Knifemakers Guild.

http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=197184

I no longer do any knife work.

Mark, Those are some very very nice knives. I understand you do make knives anymore, but I thank you for your input.

Here is a photo of the factory knife and a quick layout of the layers of the knife. I started with the knife blade on the far left. In this layer is also a spacer at the back edge of the handle. Next is the existing frame. This holds fixed spacers for the blade at the pivot point and the spring for the axis lock. Next is the new frame. This will have a recess to hold the existing frame and for the scale. It will also have a recess for the extra tools I want to add. This would be slip joint tool.

On the far right is an outline of the widened handle area to allow room for the extra tools and to give the knife a larger handle.

The hardest part for me would be to mill the new frame as I have no experience with that type of work. The tools would be easier either. The bolster on the end could be larger allowing the bottle opener to be in an all metal area, away from the scales.

Mark is correct in saying the handles are also basically the liners of this knife. It holds all the springs and workings of the axis lock. I think if you still want to trick out a Benchmade buy one that has liners already with scales screwed to them. It will be much easier to make custom handles for.

This knife does have liners. They are short running only two thirds the length of the knife handle. They hold the axis mechanism. The gray aluminum handles are just that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top