JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You may also want to consider a tactical pen, or even just a strong metal pen, as those are far more likely to be ignored as a threat. Any time I go into a government building or weapons restricted area, I have a strong metal pen clipped to my pocket.
Of course, the rest of the time I carry a cheapo, disposable lockback folder of whatever sort I have decided to try recently.
Whatever type of defense you decide to carry, try it first, get used to drawing it and/or slashing something with it. I like a 2x4 personally; it will make sure you know how to use it for at least one solid slash or thrust without dropping it or cutting yourself. Start lightly; the last thing you want to do is cut yourself on your own knife when you are first learning to use it. Slashes are a lot safer with folders; they usually don't have much of a crossguard to keep your fingers off the blade.
If you decide to get a defensive spray, spend a little extra to get one to practice with and learn how to neutralize it in case of accident or overspray.
If you get a stun gun, a sock full of pennies, stick, rock, slingshot, heavy ring, brass knuckle, blowgun, or AK-47, the same applies. Make sure you can at least use it without hurting yourself. This usually means a lot of practice, learning, and occasionally hurting yourself as you focus on some basics.

And if you DO deploy OC remember to hold your breath while you do it and count three afterward before breathing again. The overspray blowback can cause you problems you'll do well to avoid.

Hard learned lesson, there. :cool:

Good tips. Remember to stay legal in the context of ORS 166.240.

"...Any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor."

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.240

Many ignore this, but it is often used as an add-on charge for unrelated LEO encounters. Also note the court usually interprets it more narrowly than written. Be sure to review the case law link.

The annotations section to the right side of the page clarifies that locking pocket knifes, such as a liner lock, are excluded. It looks like they are referring more to straight razors and balisong-style knives. There are several instance markeds where switchblades and pocket knives are excluded from being a crime.

just go with a cheap midsize knife that is usefull in all situations (ie work,garden etc),take your time and learn your blade feels in your hand when in use and definetly get some training.The most dangerous knife to YOU is the one you carry if you dont know what your doing.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Wish I hadn't lost mine a week or so ago!!
Took it out of the pocket, along with my other knife, the North American Arms .22 WMR, my Kimber .45 2 spare mags and even my nail clippers to go into the Post Office. Put everything back (I thought) but must have missed the pocket with the Griptilian. Went to my credit union and it must have fallen on the ground. Went back and asked but no one saw it. Nice tanto blade with serrated edge. Hard as hell, have to use a diamond hone to sharpen it. Replaced it with an auto open Gerber knife from Bi-Mart for about $35.
The reason I got the Griptilian was so I didn't lose my good HK knife that I paid close to $200 for.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
WAC Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Last Edited:

An unskilled hand with a knife is most likely to get it taken away from you and used against you by anyone with a mediocrit amount of skill.
You know, the anti's say that about guns too and it's not borne out by actualities.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member
WAC Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

You know, the anti's say that about guns too and it's not borne out by actualities.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member
WAC Member

I am not boasting nor am I claiming to be an expert at hand to knife fighting.

A wise person once told me, "don't bring anything into a fight that your not prepared to have taken away and used against you".

If anyone thinks that they can bring a knife to a fight with no prior training and be successful with it is similar to carrying a dirty unreliable pistol for self defense.

Again, I am no expert but I am trained, and would be happy to meet anyone who wants to test this theory with a practice (fake) knife. This is not an offer of training but rather a simple demonstration to show you what can happen if you are not trained and practiced in knife fighting.

@Deen - I have a respect for your ideals and appreciate your posts, but in this instance comparing what I said with anti-gun propaganda is unrealistic and a gross overstatement.

I would actually agree with the antis on this given that:
-The person has not trained with thier weapon.
-The person has zero to little situational awareness.
-The victim is smaller in stature and weaker then the attacker (again with no training).

Again, if someone disagrees and has little to no training, I would be happy to perform a one on one demonstration.

Don't just pack a knife and assume that gives you protection from everything - no one would suggest that with a firearm when all you have to do is get it out and point and pull the trigger.

***I am no expert, and am not claiming to be Chuck Norris but I've trained in one martial art or another on and off for over 30 years - I've seen what the experts can do first hand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top