JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have used KG gunkote in flat back a number of times with great results. I have a newly converted Saiga 12 that needed to be painted so once again I went with gunkote and a preval aerosol sparayer. So I sand blasted all the parts, cleaned them all with acetone, and began to apply the gunkote. I noticed it looked almost like a textured finish on the first coat. So I applied two more light coats with same results. I though I'd go ahead and cure it anyway and see how it turned out. Well, it turned out like bubblegum. It was shinny and blochy. It looks like the gunkote was almost beading up on the metal. The strange texture was present on all painted surfaces. After it was all said and done I lightly buffed it with some scotch bright to take the shine away, but I left the underside of the top cover untouched so I can show the f-ed up finish. I am ticked, I have $50 and about 4 hours into this.....both time and money on hard to come by these days. I will post pics tomorrow after I get some sleep.

Anyone have any idea what the issue could be? Anyone have a similar experience with KG products? I am thinking of calling them to ask WTF????

EDIT - I bet it was that damn aerosol sprayer........on the other guns I used a automotive touch up gun and one gun was done with a aerosol can of brownells gunkote. I think maybe the sprayer I used applied it too thick???!?!?!?!?

eganx go get a cheap model sprayer for ten bucks. They can be bought at harbor freight. Thats if you have access to compressor, another trick is to prewarm part up in oven before spraying then hang off coathanger

The gun was painted in a shop which stays at 68 deg. with very little moisture in the air.......there was no air hose as I used the Preval sprayer. I am convinced the sprayer was the issue.

Probably not related to your problem, but you should always degrease before blasting so you don't end up with oily blast media. Just sayin'

I only use KG and I like to get the metal good and warm first like almost hot to the touch(I bake mine over propane heater) I have had several flawed paint jobs and they have always been a issue with ME poor prep or something of that nature. I am with you on the sprayer being the problem. Since I went to a Finex HVLP automotive touch up style gun I have never had a issue. I prefer lots of pressuer (a big cloud) and light coats lots of them.

I only use KG and I like to get the metal good and warm first like almost hot to the touch(I bake mine over propane heater) I have had several flawed paint jobs and they have always been a issue with ME poor prep or something of that nature. I am with you on the sprayer being the problem. Since I went to a Finex HVLP automotive touch up style gun I have never had a issue. I prefer lots of pressuer (a big cloud) and light coats lots of them.

Thats how I did them before with the touch up gun.....I purposely used "too much" pressure and had a large cloud of super fine mist. I left that set up in Louisiana with a friend when I moved, looks like I'll have to put another one together up here is I want to refinish anything again. The one time use aresol sprayers just don't work for something that needs such light coats

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top