JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
God smiled on me today. Brother and I were out at the end of the range of Wolf Creek where North Fork Road turns into Sunset Grade. We're both shooting 9mm pistol loads I developed for my R51, he shooting his Hi Power, me using my R51. We are doing slow fire, and our shots are nearly synchronized. I take a shot, and my gun, which had been recoiling very nicely, suddenly feels like a very hot 44 Mag load. I think, WTF? and watch as the contents of my magazine drop out.
There are black powder marks on both hands, the slide is only partially opened (~3mm), and it dawns on me, "I just had a kaboom."
Nothing in my face, and no injuries.
I eject the formed magazine sleeve (all that remains). Found the spring, spring retainer, and follower, but never found the heel plate.

The R51 handled it very well. My presumption is double charge.
When I loaded these rounds, I double checked OAL and bullet retention (i.e. could I push the bullet back into the case).
Now to completely strip and clean the R51 and do close inspection for any damage.
Looking at all the bullets I picked up from the ground, I note the unfired one in the photo has been severely pushed back into the case and the mouth belled.

20190326_204727.jpg 20190326_204732.jpg 20190326_204830.jpg

God smiled on me today. Brother and I were out at the end of the range of Wolf Creek where North Fork Road turns into Sunset Grade. We're both shooting 9mm pistol loads I developed for my R51, he shooting his Hi Power, me using my R51. We are doing slow fire, and our shots are nearly synchronized. I take a shot, and my gun, which had been recoiling very nicely, suddenly feels like a very hot 44 Mag load. I think, WTF? and watch as the contents of my magazine drop out.
There are black powder marks on both hands, the slide is only partially opened (~3mm), and it dawns on me, "I just had a kaboom."
Nothing in my face, and no injuries.
I eject the formed magazine sleeve (all that remains). Found the spring, spring retainer, and follower, but never found the heel plate.

The R51 handled it very well. My presumption is double charge.
When I loaded these rounds, I double checked OAL and bullet retention (i.e. could I push the bullet back into the case).
Now to completely strip and clean the R51 and do close inspection for any damage.
Looking at all the bullets I picked up from the ground, I note the unfired one in the photo has been severely pushed back into the case and the mouth belled.

View attachment 563021 View attachment 563022 View attachment 563023
Just to be clear, the Like was for the detail of the content, not the event. Happy to hear you escaped personal damage and yer still got all yer digits. It's a testament to the R51's strength.

My brother watched it unfold, and said, "if it had been a tupperware gun, that sucker would be in pieces, and your hand, probably injured."
We both agreed I was one lucky cuss.

Blasphemy! A Glock would have taken the hit and still made you breakfast with a smile.

:p

Blasphemy! A Glock would have taken the hit and still made you breakfast with a smile.:p

What is this Tupperware Gun you speak of?
Okay, you got me! The only tupperware KB's that I have seen the accounts of were on HK pistols. The pistols were shown in pieces.
Heck, I thought that I was very careful about zero double charges.
Edit to add: while I said The Recoil had significantly increased, it had a very different feel to it. The only time I felt something like that was when the head of an axe shattered as I was driving it into a log which had a stone embedded in it.

Yup, double charges are bad juju...

I've often thought of buying a progressive press, but honestly, running a single stage allows me the opportunity to visually check all the charged cases in the reloading block.

Kinda satisfies my OCD need. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads