JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Another article in the latest issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association ( JAMA ) has once again called for physicians to "counsel" their patients about the dangers of owning firearms, and to identify patients that might be put at risk by owning guns.

What would your reaction be, if your doctor asked you if you owned firearms? What would you say to him? Would you be open to him "counseling" you about the dangers of firearm ownership? Would you mind it if he assessed whether you should be allowed to own firearms?

Here is a link to this article, from the current August, 2015 issue:

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2422552

Last Edited:
None of his business. If necessary, I'll find a new doctor. I know that gun ownership is popular among some in the medical field, I wonder how many will actually follow this advice?

If a doc in a checkup says, "You know that owning a gun might be bad for your health and here's a pamphlet about it."

I'd be OK. It is the asking, recording and noting who is at risk that bothers me.

The Centers For Disease Control (CDC) and the AMA have a long, notorious history of advocated hostility to gun ownership. They have published absolute rot (i.e the 40-1 Seattle study) without proper peer review. One AMA director lost his job and the CDC was threatened to have it funding cut when they got caught cooking the books on gun control.

But now with a Democrat in the White House for cover, they're are back again, forwarding their long-term game plan:

1. Eventually through Obamacare (docs now work for the gummint, not you) require all physicians to record the firearms ownership status of their patients. Asking your kids if daddy or mommy owns a gun is easiest. Kids will get a lollypop for co-operating.

2. Generate (without legislation of course) a rat-out-your-patients regulation wherein doctors must report gun ownership, especially in states with registration laws. This will be billed as a "law-enforcement measure" supporting "mental health" and "we're doing it for the children."

3. Use any excuse to take guns. Get an opiate prescription for post surgical pain? Take his guns! He's on drugs. Your wife get a antidepressants prescription for post-partem? Confiscate all the guns in the home - she's a mental illness risk.

Any excuse will do. Anyone's guns will do.

4. If they can find no other excuse, anyone tagged with the yellow star of gun ownership will be subjected to increased government scrutiny and/or prosecution. Once your name is on the government watch lists, all sorts of harassment is inevitable.

For instance, if you own a gun the police will automatically be able to toss your vehicle without justifiable suspicion or probable cause at any traffic stop, legally. Or trash your home on a search on any whim. NO its NOT a 4th Amendment violation, citizen! The Supreme Court - by now all 9 justices appointed by Democrat presidents - ruled (unanimously!) that the potential presence of firearms constitutes an "exceptional danger to public safety."

This long-term agenda intends to punish both doctors and gun owners - both enemies of the Permanent Underclass. Win-win for the new commissars.

It won't come overnight. But it is the game plan of our enemies.

"We won't get your guns. We may not even get your children's guns. But we'll get your grandchildren's guns - they'll be glad to give them to us." - unnamed gun control advocate

If a doc in a checkup says, "You know that owning a gun might be bad for your health and here's a pamphlet about it."

I'd be OK. It is the asking, recording and noting who is at risk that bothers me.

I would be likely to tell the Doc that it is more likely to be bad for someone trying to harm my familys health then my own but thanks for the unsolicited advice.

bah, us docs are the least of the concern about guns. I have 60 year old patients doing meth that I cant convince is bad for them. Like they would listen to me about gun safety.

We also get paid by patient satisfaction now. If they ask you about guns and you leave them an unfavorable survey after the visit, they get their pay reduced. Not going to have a lot of docs pushing gun control if they get paid less because of upset patients.

(Unfortunately, that means I get paid less because someone with a cold wants antibiotics and I dont give it to them)

as a group, physicians no longer hold any power or sway on public opinion. We're no longer trusted and the average person thinks they know more than us since they can look up stuff on WebMD.

like Iv'e said before, if I ever get a request to report gun ownership to anyone in the government I'd let you guys know first. There has been no such effort to record or report on gun owners.

If my doc ever brought up the subject I'd politely tell them "thank you for your concern, and it is NO concern of yours. Now, how's my trigger finger look? Doc, I know that we've been seeing you for most of your medical career, but if this is ever brought up again I will fire you and tell everyone I know. And I mean EVERYONE."

Bolus, thanks for enlightening us from an "insider" point of view.

Often or actually usually on a 1st visit to a new doctor they give me a form to fill out that begins with questions re current/ prior health issues, family health issues, and then segues into questions about firearms in the home and other things that I don't regard as having to do with any health problems that I may be having or expect to have. I just mark each one n/a, ie "not applicable". So far not a one has questioned it. If and when it comes up I will tell them that if that information is necessary for them to become my physician that I'll continue "shopping".

ugg, not the natural news stuff again. They are like the Brady campaign against docs. Yes there are medical errors, yes people die from medications. But how many people lived past age 30 before modern medicine? One or two?

All those people dying of bed sores are pure doctor error right? It does not matter that the patients who usually get them are old as dirt with a 1000 medical problems stuck in nursing homes that have 1 person trying to take care of 50 people? Im not tying any of my patients to their beds and keeping them from moving.

The infographic that Natural News promotes (and quotes in that video) links to a "study" done by Life Extension magazine. The 2004 magazine that rips on doctors also has articles for bee pollen for prostate health.

Yes, dont trust your doctor, just eat some bee pollen and your prostate cancer will clear right up.

/rant

Didn't mean to offend, only pointing out that a doctor counseling on guns is like the pot calling the kettle black. Many lives have also been saved by GUNS....

...:s0104:

Didn't mean to offend, only pointing out that a doctor counseling on guns is like the pot calling the kettle black. Many lives have also been saved by GUNS....

...:s0104:

Im not offended, just ranting because this one gets quoted so much and it is driven by the industry who will benefit financially from making doctors look bad.

In 20 years, Ive not had one meeting, one email, one conversation with another doctor about working on gun control. The only substantial conversation I've had with leadership at my health system was about getting a gun safe at my desk. Worrying that doctors will be the downfall of gun ownership is a waste of time. There are much more obvious ways that our rights are getting eroded.

upload_2015-8-18_16-24-57.png

Who exactly identified Physician Counseling as preventing firearm injury and deaths?

[+-] Author Affiliations
1Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
2Violence Prevention Research Program, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California-Davis, Sacramento, California

Don't know about Colorado being fully taken over by Progressives yet but CA is a lost cause.

I don't agree with the "Viewpoint" of the article! Don't know where the little 2 after deaths refers to but it's probably BS speculation too.

upload_2015-8-18_16-27-47.png

They want to ask a severely depressed or schizophrenic patient who's talking suicide about guns in the home, or give a pamphlet or a generalized safety talk at the Pediatricians during a check-up that includes firearms as well as everything else........ Pools, Pills, Knives? No big deal.

Anything more is over the line IMO. Go in for E.D. and the Doc might ask some very personal questions but he should not be asking where you carry your gun!

Unless of course it's pressing on something and blocking your blood flow to certain areas of.....

Sorry, I'll take the easy road. Look him right in the eye and say "good heavens no, Doc!"

And the unfavorable survey thing.

Thanks for representing, Bolus!:)

My doctor has hunting magazines in his waiting room. I don't think I have to worry
about being asked unnecessary questions about guns, lol.

My doctor has hunting magazines in his waiting room. I don't think I have to worry
about being asked unnecessary questions about guns, lol.
A big part of the article was how the Doctors who own Firearms should be the ones who step up and talk to their patients. Their firearms credibility would be better received than a Doc that was total anti gun and that makes sense I guess if you were going to push Doctors to ask about guns.

Again, unless the patient is acting like a violent paranoid suicidal/homicidal maniac or at some other high risk then the Doctors should mind their own business.

There is a push BTW to label folks who own or want to own Firearms as being mentally ill. If you live in a City with Police Protection then you are safe and the only reason you want a gun is Paranoia or you have bad intentions.
There are plenty of so called intellectuals that would put hunters in the same category.
This thing about Doctors asking about guns is a slippery slope.
LOL at least this guy doesn't think more gun laws are the answer!

Last Edited:
Unless we are discussing during a routine exam the differences in whether or not to carry a new G20 in 10mm vs. the a P229 in .40 or whether an AR15 pistol is a good idea for the backcountry; then I don't think we will have much to talk about. :cool:

My son's doctor has a form I have to fill out every time I go in, it's like 15 questions, any one smoke in the home, exposure to lead i.e paint/bullet making, a few other safety questions then the last one is - are there any guns in the home? His mother check yes once and I quickly destroyed it. That to me is a set up question and clearly I feel having a gun isn't a "health" problem my doctor and I need to discuss unless I'm bleeding from a bullet wound.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top