JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My son's doctor has a form I have to fill out every time I go in, it's like 15 questions, any one smoke in the home, exposure to lead i.e paint/bullet making, a few other safety questions then the last one is - are there any guns in the home? His mother check yes once and I quickly destroyed it. That to me is a set up question and clearly I feel having a gun isn't a "health" problem my doctor and I need to discuss unless I'm bleeding from a bullet wound.

The problem here is stupid people. There are studies in pediatric clinics that show when the doctor mentions basic gun safety to parents (like lock the gun up so the toddler cant get to it) less kids get shot and killed

Of course a pediatrician wants less dead kids. So they feel compelled to let idiot parents know that their toddler wont be able to know the 4 rules of gun safety.

do we need to educate gun owners like the ones here who are already aware of good gun safety techniques? Well no, of course not.

But its difficult to know your patients well when you have to see them in 10 minutes because insurance payments keep going down and you have to pack as many people into the clinic as possible.

I wish it was like the old days. Your doc was probably your friend, knew your whole family, knew you well enough that they did not need to lecture you about gun safety just in case you were an idiot letting your kids play with loaded guns.

so like most things in life, thank the idiots who make it hard for everyone else.

Went for my semi annual check up @ the VA yesterday and got a lot of new questions about my status ~ shopping/$$ management/ stress and on & on. At least three different questionnaires. Very subtle and had nothing to do with my physical health. So take it for it's worth and think about your answers. Just 2 cents worth:eek::(

Went for my semi annual check up @ the VA yesterday and got a lot of new questions about my status ~ shopping/$$ management/ stress and on & on. At least three different questionnaires. Very subtle and had nothing to do with my physical health. So take it for it's worth and think about your answers. Just 2 cents worth:eek::(

there is a push to do mental health screening at every visit (for wellness, I hate that word). All our patients get a PHQ-9 depression screening questionnaire as well.

Again, for the same reason as above, we are not given enough time with our patients to get to know then really well, so we use a form instead. Not the way I prefer to do it.

Our forms are reviewed by us and the social worker. I have had patients say they were doing "fine" and then fill out the form saying they had severe depression and were suicidal. So it has helped us get people the help they needed but they did not want to tell us directly

not just for guns, but I try my best to not get people involuntarily committed to the hospital. That's the kind of thing that does F up your 2nd amendment rights. Fortunately, I've been able to help my suicidal patients most of the time without getting a court involved to involuntarily commit them.

I understand that. Anyone who checks yes probably needs a pamflet. Those who don't check it are already parinoid and most likely has there stuff locked up and bolted to the floor.
- I highly doubt a doctor you hardly know is going to be convince an idiot to lock up his guns

My son's doctor has a form I have to fill out every time I go in, it's like 15 questions, any one smoke in the home, exposure to lead i.e paint/bullet making, a few other safety questions then the last one is - are there any guns in the home? His mother check yes once and I quickly destroyed it. That to me is a set up question and clearly I feel having a gun isn't a "health" problem my doctor and I need to discuss unless I'm bleeding from a bullet wound.

I noticed that too. My wife was filling out the form and I told her to cross the question out. She asked "why cross it out? I'll just leave it blank." I said "if you leave it blank THEY can't mark anything they want and your signature is at the bottom of the form. Crossing it out makes a statement that it isn't a pertinent question."

:)

OKAY ~~ Still caution any questions about your status that DOES NOT pertain directly to your immediate health. My clinic is small compared to metro areas and doesn't have a lot of employees. My former DR was a "gun nut" so enjoyed talking with him. Don't know the status of current DR on guns. Do see NRA literature @ Walla Walla VA when I go over there once or twice annually. Never thought about leaving a ?? blank and having some fill it in for you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top