JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a pair of Blitz jerry cans (red w/screw top) at a garage sale recently. I usually check the insides before buying but I couldn't get the lid off (figured because the can was so hot from sitting in the sun) and since the other one looked good I just bought it. But after letting it cool in my garage, it still wont budge. I've tried a screwdriver and hammer against the points and gotten it to turn 1/4 at most. The can itself looks like its taken a couple hits, but I dont see any warping of the screw collar. Penetrating oil obviously cannot get past the rubber gasket, so any ideas how to open this thing?

Try the penetrating oil anyway. Give it 24 hrs and it should wicked around the threads by then.
Don't do what my idiot neighbor tried (propane torch). It was empty, but the gas fumes inside made for a big bang when it finally got hot enough.
I really like a product called Kroil by the KANO company. "The oil that creeps". You can only order it online, but it's worth it.

well the last thing I know to do is spray as sadi above with PB Blaster, let is set overnight, spray it again let sit a little bit then one more time.

Now put beteen two objected that will not allow it (the can ) to twist side ways, take a long heavy duty screw drive hold both ends and place the screwdriver evenly between the notches of the cap, turn a little back and forth, spray a little, turn a little, this should work it off, it may take some muscle to do it this way, but it is the last thing I can think of.

if not yo have to decide if you are going to force it off and maybe have to re thread the and buy a new cap, I had problems finding a cap and for one of mine and wrote Blitz a really nice email and they sent two new caps along with two new seals, not saying they will do it, bu tyou never know?

If you need a new cap from Blitz, you may be SOL. They filed
for bankruptcy last November, and I've heard they are going
to shut down.

I bought a pair of Blitz jerry cans (red w/screw top) at a garage sale recently. I usually check the insides before buying but I couldn't get the lid off (figured because the can was so hot from sitting in the sun) and since the other one looked good I just bought it. But after letting it cool in my garage, it still wont budge. I've tried a screwdriver and hammer against the points and gotten it to turn 1/4 at most. The can itself looks like its taken a couple hits, but I dont see any warping of the screw collar. Penetrating oil obviously cannot get past the rubber gasket, so any ideas how to open this thing?

Use a brass or plastic mallet. Tap repeatedly till it is free.

Try the penetrating oil anyway. Give it 24 hrs and it should wicked around the threads by then.
Don't do what my idiot neighbor tried (propane torch). It was empty, but the gas fumes inside made for a big bang when it finally got hot enough.
I really like a product called Kroil by the KANO company. "The oil that creeps". You can only order it online, but it's worth it.

This. If you're going to use it for fuel or oils anyway then Kroil is the ticket. It will likely turn off by hand if you let the Kroil penetrate overnight

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews