Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Jerry can with a stuck lid

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Invader, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Invader

Invader Beaverton Member

I bought a pair of Blitz jerry cans (red w/screw top) at a garage sale recently. I usually check the insides before buying but I couldn't get the lid off (figured because the can was so hot from sitting in the sun) and since the other one looked good I just bought it. But after letting it cool in my garage, it still wont budge. I've tried a screwdriver and hammer against the points and gotten it to turn 1/4 at most. The can itself looks like its taken a couple hits, but I dont see any warping of the screw collar. Penetrating oil obviously cannot get past the rubber gasket, so any ideas how to open this thing?

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Try the penetrating oil anyway. Give it 24 hrs and it should wicked around the threads by then.
    Don't do what my idiot neighbor tried (propane torch). It was empty, but the gas fumes inside made for a big bang when it finally got hot enough.
    I really like a product called Kroil by the KANO company. "The oil that creeps". You can only order it online, but it's worth it.

3. Invader

Invader Beaverton Member

already tried both liquid wrench and wd-40, I'll have to look into Kroil.

4. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Mossberg 500 Chainsaw will get that open for you.

5. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Ask your wife to open it for you:p

pokerace, Sgt Nambu, Riot and 5 others like this.
  6. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

PB blaster works good you can get it at most auto parts stores.

7. Invader

Invader Beaverton Member

8. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

well the last thing I know to do is spray as sadi above with PB Blaster, let is set overnight, spray it again let sit a little bit then one more time.

Now put beteen two objected that will not allow it (the can ) to twist side ways, take a long heavy duty screw drive hold both ends and place the screwdriver evenly between the notches of the cap, turn a little back and forth, spray a little, turn a little, this should work it off, it may take some muscle to do it this way, but it is the last thing I can think of.

if not yo have to decide if you are going to force it off and maybe have to re thread the and buy a new cap, I had problems finding a cap and for one of mine and wrote Blitz a really nice email and they sent two new caps along with two new seals, not saying they will do it, bu tyou never know?

9. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you need a new cap from Blitz, you may be SOL. They filed
    for bankruptcy last November, and I've heard they are going
    to shut down.

10. greydog111

greydog111 peoples repubilik of Oregon Active Member

Use a brass or plastic mallet. Tap repeatedly till it is free.

11. Jablunty

Jablunty Vancouver Member

Bummer. Probably loosing too much money do to the crappy eco friendly, worthless nozzles.

Glockman19 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

lmao probably truely they are worthless, I spill more fuel filling a pice of equipment than fume saved, I watch craigslist and buy every old vented gas can, i can get my hands, got them coming out my ears.

13. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

This. If you're going to use it for fuel or oils anyway then Kroil is the ticket. It will likely turn off by hand if you let the Kroil penetrate overnight

14. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I quit using the nozzles since getting a super siphon - no more spilled fuel, no more mess.

I used something similar to this gas can on a project recently - no leaks and the ability to control fuel flow with the pour valve. It was nice, but they ain't cheap.

15. ak56

ak56 Carnation, Wa Active Member

Label it "child-proof cap" and let a four year old at it. Should be open in a few minutes.

16. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

Maybe try hitting the lid with a can of compressed air upside down? (To freeze the lid and shrink it)

17. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

Heat it up with a torch ;)

18. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

I've used a tire iron to loosen the lid on an old jerry can in the past - Just enough leverage to get it open...

19. Will

Will Everett Active Member

Heat works to loosen threads but if it's a gas can that might be a problem. :confused:

20. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

maybe go the other direction - put the can out in the sun for a while till it warms up nicely then ice the lid - can expands lid shrinks clearance for threads improves...