JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A number of years ago, I did a bunch of research and that pointed me towards the Scepter cans. The metal cans are more prone to developing rust which can cause leaks over time. There were some other considerations too, but I forget at the moment. Regardless, the Scepter cans are great and have a variety of accessories that will attach to make water filtering or whatever easier, but they also require a sort of large wrench to tighten and loosen fully (I'm sure you could get by without it, but it's an easier way to make sure). The biggest issue I had was that I wanted blue cans for water and red for gas. Most Scepter cans are tan and it was difficult to find the exact ones I wanted and I didn't want to paint them or rely on a label. Also, their red fuel cans were not US Govt safety approved (no pressure relief valve, like all newer approved cans have that tend to leak; which might be why the military has used them despite no "civilian" use approval) so I ended up having to order them from Canada. They are very thick and heavy duty. Haven't used them as much as I intended, but they've held up great for the past 7 or 8 years.

Good deal on the French surplus cans. Glad you found something that'll work.
I can see wanting color coding.

Scepters are still pretty easy to ID even with the same color, even if the "fuel/water" stamp/mold/inlay is obscured by a carry strap (or whatever).

1 handle = water.
3 handles = fuel.

Plus all our surplus water scepters have the mini access cap inserted into the standard large cap.

I got the green Valpro metal cans for diesel - I wanted green (kind of OD but unfortunately not matte) for my trucks - because... SHTF prepper. Not worried about internal rust due to the lining and the fact that diesel itself has some oil in it - as long as they are full the rust is less likely (although water in the fuel, due to contamination or condensation, can still cause rust).

I am going to get the Scepter OD green plastic water cans that are embossed with "Water" on them and a different cap/spout system. No rust, less expensive, less likely to have an issue with degradation due to fumes, but UV will still be an issue. These will usually be stored out of the sun.

For anyone interested I do have some ALM (made by VALPRO) Jerry cans for sale.

If you are in the market for water cans, I would encourage this guy here. This is the same can that we take out to the field in the Army. I'm sure others have seen Sceptor cans as well, but I did verify that our unit uses LCI cans.

For anyone interested I do have some ALM (made by VALPRO) Jerry cans for sale.

If you are in the market for water cans, I would encourage this guy here. This is the same can that we take out to the field in the Army. I'm sure others have seen Sceptor cans as well, but I did verify that our unit uses LCI cans.

That's a sweet deal for those! And surprisingly cheap?? Definatly getting some.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top