JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The receiver was copper washed, so it needs to be rust-blued. It will not take a standard hot caustic salt blue...

It's probably why it wasn't reblued by it's previous owner. Proper rust bluing is a long time heavy project...

I might check into having someone TIG weld it then. Otherwise, I'm just going to try my idea of JB weld, however unsafe/stupid it is.

I'll wear leather gloves and a welding helmet when I shoot it though, which should stop most of the shrapnel...hopefully. And even if I lose an eye or a hand, it won't be too bad, as I've always wanted to be a pirate. That would just be a reason to buy an eye patch and a hook.
Aargh matey!

seriously, calico's are really cool, space-age looking guns, but it's not worth it. Haul it down to the next gun show and get rid of it. Trade it for a ruger 10/22 or similar. I've done a little bit of amateur gunsmithing myself, but chambers are something I just won't touch.

well, he might be able to sell it to a gunsmith who isn't going to put JB weld in the chamber. might take a significant price hit, but better that than blowing a finger off.

The barrel is really thick on this gun, so I could probably have a liner installed, but I doubt if it'd be worth the time and money. I couldn't find any pistol barrels for sale for it, but carbine barrels are $80 IIRC. Honestly though, it's not something I plan on putting more than about $20 into at the most.

If I can't get it welded, I'll try the JB weld or some other epoxy. I've got a rubber C-clamp type thing that I can use to clamp it to a branch or something, and I'll tie a string to the trigger and fire enough rounds through it to determine if I'd ever trust holding it in my hands to shoot it again.

I don't know what I could get for it if I parted it out or sold it without the barrel, but I'm not about to sell it at a loss until I get tired of having it around, and it makes a pretty gnarly looking paper weight the way it is.

If I do sell it off though, I'm not the kinda guy that would take it to a gunshow and pass it off like there's nothing wrong with it either, as was suggested by someone else.

if the barrel is thick enough you could have a liner installed and chamber feed ramp cut
+1
took long enough for some one to actually come up with a professional way to fix it.

Decide whether you want to keep it as is (pretty much worthless), or, look up the parts on brownells and learn something new. Write off the expense as a learning experience.

once you learn how to do it you can pick up rusty bore 22 rifles and handguns and bring them back to life.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top