JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@gmerkt -- Re your question about whether a patch of bamboo will take over--
There are two basic types, clumping and running. Bamboo catalogs list the varieties in separate sections. The clumping types spread a little at the edges each year giving you a dense but easy to control patch. The running types...RUN. You need to put in in-ground barriers such as metal, concrete, or air (ditches) to keep them from spreading. If you plant a running bamboo without any control barriers in a modest backyard, after the plant becomes established it will send out shoots 20' or more in all directions every year, so very soon your yard will be one big bamboo patch and soon likewise for your neighbors.
just out to the West of Portland is one of the largest bamboo growers in the country, Bamboo Garden Nursery
we get all our bamboo out there, have 7 different types growing now, both clumping and running
with our heavy clay soil up here in the hills, running bamboo has not spread more than 5' a year
this year we spread 2 cubic yards of chicken manure and finally got it to take off, over 50 new culms this year
but we have allotted a full acre for our bamboo to grow

the property to the North of us is the old Field of Dreams nursery - now defunct
we have counted at least 8 variety's of bamboo still growing on the property - but, again, with our heavy clay soil, it has not spread in 25 years

good Idea
any of those wanta be survivalist who think they are going to escape Portland to my area now have something to look forward to
will use my Kubota to dig a pit and line it with bamboo cut at an angle with my Japanese pull saw
Don't forget to rub feces on the stakes.

@gmerkt -- Re your question about whether a patch of bamboo will take over--
There are two basic types, clumping and running. Bamboo catalogs list the varieties in separate sections. The clumping types spread a little at the edges each year giving you a dense but easy to control patch. The running types...RUN. You need to put in in-ground barriers such as metal, concrete, or air (ditches) to keep them from spreading. If you plant a running bamboo without any control barriers in a modest backyard, after the plant becomes established it will send out shoots 20' or more in all directions every year, so very soon your yard will be one big bamboo patch and soon likewise for your neighbors.
Sounds like a great way to get back at a neighbor for their ... shenanigans.

Naw. Too obvious who is to blame, and it would cause problems for all neighbors, not just the obnoxious ones.
I risked a trip to Portland to pick up my new Takayuki kitchen knife today
observed several home in N Portland where the bamboo had gotten away and spread into a neighbors yard, even under a cement block retaining wall
we just trimmed the new culms on our neighbors property last week to prevent this from happening

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top