JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
just A note, take it for what it is worth. went to the gun show in albany today saw tulamo 762x39 for $9.00 to 10.50 a box. went to walmart on the way home and bought 4 box with plenty left on the shelf for &4.97

Economics in work! Gun Show prices may need to come down if supply increases and there are not enough buyers lined up to pay $10 per box.

An item is worth what ppl are willing to pay.

PPl selling items for x times its value 2 months ago have every right too those that pay those prices are the ones to blame for those items being worth X

Call it whatever you want gouging inflation opportunistic greedy it makes no difference. If you dont like it Sit on your hands till they fall asleep and get over it. If you want the item go buy it and dont whine about it.

END of Discussion Seriously this is the most retarted thread I have seen since joining. Are we seriously arguing about what to call this? Get a life ppl and you too OP you opened a worthless can of worms that means NOTHING What were you seriously trying to accomplish here? You obviously started the thread JUST to "Ruffle Feathers" "oh your calling it the wrong thing oh boo who" Who gives a rats grass? I call it what I want if you dont like it get over yourself.

END THREAD

I agree with the premise of the original post.

However, I know a person who located a retailer who was selling Pmags at $17.50 per mag. The retailer didn't want to raise his prices, because he wanted his magazines to be available to people, at a reasonable cost. The person I know tried to buy up all the mags, so he could sell them at a rediculous markup and make a fat profit. The retailer realized his intent and refused to sell him more than ten magazines. I respected the retailer for trying to keep his products accessable to ordinary, hard-working, middle-class Americans.

......I didn't buy any, and haven't bought anything since the current price increases, because I was smart enough to stock up on firearms, magazines, and ammo over the course of the last few years.

LOL... So if the manufacturer decides to increase the costs to their retail chains by 100%, then that isn't gouging? So if Shell decided to simply charge all downstream gas stations an extra $1.00 for gasoline, that wouldn't be gouging?

So long as there are more people lining up to buy something that there is something to be bought, this is the expected result. Further, downstream retailers and sellers have other costs to consider that would cause prices to rise. How about the cost of health care going up by over 25% for many businesses this year? Is it GOUGING for them to raise costs to cover that?

so if retailers do jack up their prices 100% and no one buys any of their goods they either drop their price or they go out of business what is so hard to understand. the cost for insurance will probably go way up, but no that will not be gouging because they have their price go up thanks due to the chosen one. unless employers get some ba77's and cut peoples hr's to part time then to show the chosen one they will not play his game.
as far as gas they play with the price all the time.

A lot of people are confusing gouging with opportunism and market manipulation.
If I have a case of pmags sitting in my closet that I don't care about too much and I can sell them for $75 each, then I might be mad not to.
If I go round every store and buy every pmag or every round of .223 I can find with the intention of selling it on for profit then i'd be manipulating the (local) market by strangling the supply. People looking to buy them from the stores I'd cleaned out would perceive there was a shortage and that, coupled with my outrageous repricing, would drive prices artificially high.
Neither example is gouging, the former is mildly dickish, the latter rather more douchy
If I'm selling bottled water for $20 a pop after a tsunami has filled our reservoirs with saltwater sewage cocktail, then that would be gouging.

I too am sick of seeing these high prices, but we are focusing on the wrong people! It's easy to blame the seller for "price gouging", but we should be blaming the people buying at these prices. My Father always told me, "an item is only worth, what someone will pay for it"! I have a POS Nissan PU that probably isn't worth the price of the tire that are on it, but if I thought someone would give me a $1000 for it, it would be gone.

No BOHICA for me. I have what I need in guns, mags and ammo. You can never have enough ammo, but I am stocked enough that my son and I can shoot for a few years without worrying about it. It just might be a good thing, the outdoor shooting spots may not be so crowded this summer if there is no ammo.
;)

I'm new to this forum/community so if I ruffle some of you folks, I am NOT sorry...

Here is the deal... Let me explain something EXTREMELY basic. If someone is willing to pay $X for an object, then that object is clearly worth $X. If the object isn't a requirement to live or get by and you are willing to pay $X, you ARE NOT being gouged.

If a company wanted to sell a gun or ammo or mag for $X and nobody was lining up to buy them at $X, then any economist or business person would tell you that clearly $X is to high and it is time to reduce the price. I don't know about you, but it sure seems like people are lining up right now by the dozen to buy virtually anything gun related....

THIS IS NOT GOUGING.

Most of you claim you want a free world here in the US and want liberty. Part of that would seem to be capitalism, but perhaps the "gouger" whiners don't really believe in free markets.

So for the love of common sense, please stop referring to gun, ammo, and accessory prices as gouging. If it is gasoline, we can chat.

That is all.

Beings how you seem to know definitions so well maybe you can tell me the definition of a Internet troll. Hmmmm, new member, starting problems on the Internet. Sound familiar?

Also, it is gouging. Firearms has everything to do with our 2A rights. It is a necessity to protect our freedom. Gasoline isn't. Don't wanna pay the high price of gas? Then ride a bike. It's gonna be awful hard to protect yourself with a slingshot and rocks.

Come back and start this thread in about a year with 500 or more posts and then people will take you a little more seriousally.

I just figured it all out and it actually makes 100% sense now.

The people getting "gouged" are all the ones buying "assault weapons" and "high cap mag".

The people that are NOT getting gouged (either by not buying or willingly buying) are the ones buying sporting rifles (AR-15's, AK's, Sig's, ect), and standard magazines (17rd Glock mags, 30rd AR mags, ect)

I have seen the light.........

I too am sick of seeing these high prices, but we are focusing on the wrong people! It's easy to blame the seller for "price gouging", but we should be blaming the people buying at these prices. My Father always told me, "an item is only worth, what someone will pay for it"! I have a POS Nissan PU that probably isn't worth the price of the tire that are on it, but if I thought someone would give me a $1000 for it, it would be gone.

Gospel right there. Preach it!!! :s0155:

I bet none of the people complaining about gouging would turn down a ridiculous offer for something they don't need.

Now, if we could harvest the energy of this perpetual argument... our energy problems would be OVER!! :s0114:

I think we can probably all agree that those who empty retail shelves and on-line dealers' inventories, just so they can deny the products from consumers and charge outrageous prices for something they don't even intend on using themselves, are d0uchebags.

It doesn't bother me when someone sells their AR or Mini-14 for a high price, knowing they may not be able to replace the rifle at the price for which they acquired it. If I were to sell one of my ARs, especially my Noveske, I would definitely ask a pretty penny.

SUPPLY & DEMAND

in classical economics, factors that are said to determine price, by correlating the amount of a given commodity producers hope to sell at a certain price (supply), and the amount of that commodity that consumers are willing to purchase (demand). Supply refers to the varying amounts of a good that producers will supply at different prices; in general, a higher price yields a greater supply. Demand refers to the quantity of a good that is demanded by consumers at any given price. According to the law of demand, demand decreases as the price rises. In a perfectly competitive economy, the combination of the upward-sloping supply curve and the downward-sloping demand curve yields a supply and demand schedule that, at the intersection of the two curves, reveals the equilibrium price of an item. Theories of supply and demand had their roots in the early 20th cent. theories of Alfred Marshall, which recognized the role of consumers in determining prices, rather than taking the classical approach of focusing exclusively on the cost for the producer as a determinant. Marshall's work brought together classical supply theory with more recent developments concentrating on the utility of a commodity to the consumer (see value). More recent theories, such as indifference-curve analysis and revealed preference, offer more flexibility to the supply and demand theories created by proponents of marginal utility. The theory of elasticity is significant as well: it shows how certain commodities will bear a substantial rise in price if there is not an equitable substitute available, while other easily replaceable commodities cannot do so without losing business to competitors.

See L. Klein, The Economics of Supply and Demand (1983); K. Cuthbertson, The Supply and Demand for Money (1985).

GREAT more things to ponder!!! :s0054:
SUPPLY & DEMAND

in classical economics, factors that are said to determine price, by correlating the amount of a given commodity producers hope to sell at a certain price (supply), and the amount of that commodity that consumers are willing to purchase (demand). Supply refers to the varying amounts of a good that producers will supply at different prices; in general, a higher price yields a greater supply. Demand refers to the quantity of a good that is demanded by consumers at any given price. According to the law of demand, demand decreases as the price rises. In a perfectly competitive economy, the combination of the upward-sloping supply curve and the downward-sloping demand curve yields a supply and demand schedule that, at the intersection of the two curves, reveals the equilibrium price of an item. Theories of supply and demand had their roots in the early 20th cent. theories of Alfred Marshall, which recognized the role of consumers in determining prices, rather than taking the classical approach of focusing exclusively on the cost for the producer as a determinant. Marshall's work brought together classical supply theory with more recent developments concentrating on the utility of a commodity to the consumer (see value). More recent theories, such as indifference-curve analysis and revealed preference, offer more flexibility to the supply and demand theories created by proponents of marginal utility. The theory of elasticity is significant as well: it shows how certain commodities will bear a substantial rise in price if there is not an equitable substitute available, while other easily replaceable commodities cannot do so without losing business to competitors.

See L. Klein, The Economics of Supply and Demand (1983); K. Cuthbertson, The Supply and Demand for Money (1985).

Is it just me but are there a bunch of people on NWFA lately starting to act like the occupy wallstreet crowd? "Its not fair" "they shouldnt be allowed to charge that much" "Thats gouging" Stop acting like entitled little children and get over it! If you dont like the prices being asked on stuff just move along. Its no ones fault but thier own for not being prepared, but when SHTF in the market and they got caught with thier pants down its all someone elses fault that they now cant afford what they want. It sure sucks they didnt buy lowers for $80 last year and now have to spend $300 to get one, but awesome for me cause i did get a few so shut up and pay up.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top