JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree, it is gouging. When you didn't pay anymore for something but charging more because you can.
It's like gas prices. The barrel price goes up so the next morning gas costs more because the gas they're
going to sell you 4 months from now is going to cost them more?

All i know, is there is many companies i will no longer be doing business with, after seeing how they have acted.

While they are free to charge what they want to, many businesses have made the choice not to take advantage of the situation and customers they have and wish to keep and they will be getting my money, in the future.

Gouging is when you paid $7.00 for an AK mag, then you post it up for $50 with an explanation of how special, and unique it is.
The ASSumption being that the audience has no idea of the original value, and that an eloquent description will make it all seem right.

If the target audience is the current crop soup-line buyers, I get it...they missed the boat, so go ahead and feel free to justify screwing them over...right?
I choose not to participate.

Actually, I think the majority of buyers lately are first timers. They have been considering gun purchases but, as the economy is not that great it was on the back burner. Now with a possible ban looming they rushed out to buy. They dont know the $700 polymer lowers people are selling were $125 shipped 6 weeks ago. Most of us who know better are waiting until prices die back down. Not saying its gouging or not but, I know damn well I'm not paying 2 or 3 times MSRP for parts from a used private seller on my new build. I'll just wait.

All i know, is there is many companies i will no longer be doing business with, after seeing how they have acted.

While they are free to charge what they want to, many businesses have made the choice not to take advantage of the situation and customers they have and wish to keep and they will be getting my money, in the future.

The funny thing is that I'm sure the majority of people that are complaining that it's not gouging are the same people complaining about or refusing to buy from companies because of the higher prices. I'm sure they thought cheaper than dirt was crazy for selling USGI m16 mags for $100.....

I don't have a problem with people selling guns for more than their typical going rate. I DO, however, have a problem with people buying guns with money that they don't have on the impulse that they absolutely have to buy it. I am a proud gun owner and would probably be selling my AR if I had one right about now. But sorry, I'm not about to freak out and buy one for double the price regardless of what happens with legislation.

This profiteering may be short lived. Already starting to see more "price reduced" statements in some of the more ridiculously priced black rifle posts. Word is from the Shot Show in Vegas that plenty more AR's are on the way, and soon the distribution pipeline could be awash with weapons. Cabelas and WalMart will be among the first retailers to have large inventories, and prices should be close to where they were pre-panic.

I don't feel sorry for the folks who bought into this latest panic. Throughout history, low information, emotional buyers have been taken advantage of. However, during the next four years, there will be more mass shootings (yes, there is evil in the world), and the Libs will use the emotions to gin up the gun-banning crowd and yammer about an AWB, and people will respond again by purchasing a ton of guns. I plan on purchasing more rifles and ammo in about 6 months when they are both readily available again. I don't plan on selling any of them. Just making sure my kids and grandkids get to enjoy them as I did.

This thread provides me with so much entertainment.

Seems that we are divided into two groups here, both groups agree that there is no problem buying something and reselling at a profit. The division comes with how much profit that seller should be allowed to make. Is 25% more than you paid right while 500% is wrong? And at what percentage do we enter gouging the customer? And who is allowed to do the gouging?

I know we (here on the forum) know the prices of what the product 'really' costs, before the panic. And some think its gouging to make x% of profit on it. Jonathan Reeves was the one that said "Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it". I've seen Ruger 10/22 Mags advertised for $96 on this site, I would say the guy is dreaming but he isn't gouging anyone, because they have the option to buy it or not to buy it.

For those that think its gouging, consider this. The companies that manufacture these products that we buy typically sell for 1.5-5x more than the cost of the part. So now do you feel gouged that you paid $11.99 for a Magpul magazine that probably cost ~$3 to make? Or is it only people that buy and resell them that are gouging.

Oh and by the way the firearm industry has a low profit margin compared to some companies out there.

Gouging is when you have no choice but to pay whatever the price.

I don't think gouging is happening, if you think something is too much then don't buy it, you don't need to have it, and we all know in 6 months all this stuff is going to be the price it was 6 weeks ago.

The funny thing is that I'm sure the majority of people that are complaining that it's not gouging are the same people complaining about or refusing to buy from companies because of the higher prices. I'm sure they thought cheaper than dirt was crazy for selling USGI m16 mags for $100.....

I have never purchased a single item from cheaper than dirt and i will not in the future.

Like i stated in an earlier post, they can ask any price they wish, but i will not pay what they are asking, simply because a $7.00 magazine is not worth $100.00 to "me".

If people wish to pay the price, cheaper than dirt is asking, i am fine with the choice they make.
I belive they are foolish for doing so, but it is the customers choice to make.

Those that heard the word "BAN" and panicked and suddenly had to have things they should have had already, were not paying attention to the world around them.

These are the same kind of people that decided to stay in the path of hurricane sandy and not stockpile any, food, water, fuel and other essential supplies, even though they had over a weeks notice that the storm was on it's way, which to me, is pure foolishness.

Look, charge what you want.

And I'll offer you what I think it's worth.

Or hell, if you're really outrageous, I'll even do some REAL lowballing.

Just don't start a thread about how you're not a gouger.

By the way.

It was broke when I got here.

These are the same kind of people that decided to stay in the path of hurricane sandy and not stockpile any, food, water, fuel and other essential supplies, even though they had over a weeks notice that the storm was on it's way, which to me, is pure foolishness.

Not so foolish, those people bubblegumed, complained, pissed, moaned and protested and congress appropriated 50 billion dollars for them.

This thread provides me with so much entertainment.

Seems that we are divided into two groups here, both groups agree that there is no problem buying something and reselling at a profit. The division comes with how much profit that seller should be allowed to make. Is 25% more than you paid right while 500% is wrong? And at what percentage do we enter gouging the customer? And who is allowed to do the gouging?

I know we (here on the forum) know the prices of what the product 'really' costs, before the panic. And some think its gouging to make x% of profit on it. Jonathan Reeves was the one that said "Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it". I've seen Ruger 10/22 Mags advertised for $96 on this site, I would say the guy is dreaming but he isn't gouging anyone, because they have the option to buy it or not to buy it.

For those that think its gouging, consider this. The companies that manufacture these products that we buy typically sell for 1.5-5x more than the cost of the part. So now do you feel gouged that you paid $11.99 for a Magpul magazine that probably cost ~$3 to make? Or is it only people that buy and resell them that are gouging.

Oh and by the way the firearm industry has a low profit margin compared to some companies out there.

This is essentially what I'm getting at, you stating it a bit more eloquently than I did.

As far as gouging, MHO is that any price that both parties agree to is a fair price for the item.

HOWEVER those retailers that bought and continue to buy firearms and ammo for say 600 bucks a unit, and sell them for 2500 that is a sleazy business practice, and businesses that treat their customers like that run the risk of not recieiving business from me in the future. it's your right to charge whatever you want for an item, and my right not to buy anything from you again. is how I look at it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top