JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is Your Congressman Opposing Obama's Latest Gun Ban?
Created: Wednesday, 23 September 2015
Written by Gun Owners of America
ACTION: Click here right now to contact your Representative and to urge him or her to co-sponsor and vote for H.R. 3516.
Millions of seniors could lose their guns, jeopardizing the ability of kids and grandchildren to inherit them

For the past few weeks, GOA has been telling you about Obama's cruelest gun grab yet.

He's snatching guns from combat-wounded veterans -- and planning the same for the elderly -- using private personal records from Social Security and Veterans Administration to target anyone who has someone else handling their checkbook. seniorsguns.jpg

These people aren't criminals. They're not even dangerous. They're just having someone else handle their bills.

They are seniors and combat wounded veterans. It could be your mother or father. It could even be you.

Well, one member of Congress is doing something about it.

Congressman Sam Johnson, himself a combat-wounded veteran of both Vietnam and Korea and a seven-year Vietnam POW, has introduced H.R. 3516, the Social Security Beneficiary Second Amendment Rights Protection Act.

This bill would stop Obama from putting people on the national gun ban list simply because Social Security or the VA has someone else listed as handling their finances.

"Because he failed to push his gun control agenda through Congress, his administration is now seeking to deny millions of law-abiding Americans their right to bear arms by going through Social Security," says Congressman Johnson.

"Old age or a disability does not make someone a threat to society."

"These folks should be able to defend themselves just like everyone else, and Social Security has no business stripping them of that right," Johnson said. "This bill puts a stop to yet another overreach by the Obama administration."

It's time to put an end to this cruel gun ban.

ACTION: Click here right now to contact your Representative and to urge him or her to co-sponsor and vote for H.R. 3516.

Are you talking about Obama's executive order in January of 2013 that required the SSA to make info available to the feds performing background checks? It is my understanding that the action would not "grab" anyone's guns, rather it would prevent those deemed mentally incompetent from purchasing new guns. People might also be opposed to that, but the post seems to participate in the same kind of fear mongering and stretching of the facts that we detest from the other side. In addition H.R. 3516 was the veterans and armed forces act of 2013, that was sponsored by a Democrat. It meant to expand healthcare to veterans. It was introduced but never brought to a vote, I don't know why, you would have to ask John Boehner.

Edit: Wow, further research revealed a September 2015 bill: H.R. 3516 Sponsored by Sam Johnson, there must have been a lot of bills introduced in the last 2 years to have to reuse the number 3516, how silly. I am still reviewing the text of the bill to see if it deserves an email to our Reps.

Last Edited:
I reviewed the bill, and I like it, my letter has been sent to Earl Blumenauer, Ron Wyden, and Jeff Merkley. I asked that if they oppose the bill to respond with their reasoning, I will repost on here if I recieve a reply.

The Bill was sound, but I still don't approve of the scare tactics calling this a gun ban, and a gun grab. It's good for click bait and to get people riled up, but it brings us down to the level of the anti-2A propagandists, and I don't want to be there. Taking the high road is tough when the other team plays dirty though, so I get it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top